Windows 10: Question about what color sliders in color calibration tool actually do

Discus and support Question about what color sliders in color calibration tool actually do in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am wondering what the exact mechanism is that lowers or increases the prevalence of a color when you move the sliders for red, green and blue in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TrantaLocked, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Question about what color sliders in color calibration tool actually do

I am wondering what the exact mechanism is that lowers or increases the prevalence of a color when you move the sliders for red, green and blue in the Windows color calibration tool. Is it doing a software decrease of alpha values? Does it change the voltage level that goes to that specific subpixel of the monitor? And when you lower a slider, do you lose bit values for that channel ex, 6 notches down on blue slider turns range from 255 to 249 total values, thus either losing bit depth for that channel or losing maximum value for that channel, but which one if any I don't know

I ask because I am trying to understand exactly why I am having this issue with a display upgrade I did on a laptop that is fixed by lowering the color sliders in the calibration tool and creating an ICC profile. If the image I'm viewing on the screen has too much of one specific color shade, the screen will go black. So if up to half the screen is covered by 255, 0, 0 red, I'm ok, but if more than 2/3 is filled by 255, 0, 0 red then I get a black screen. I can go a while without the issue but suddenly I will get black frames in certain videos and pictures And it happens whether I'm at lowest or maximum brightness. But for some reason if I create an ICC profile where I equally lower all color sliders by a few notches, I don't get the black screen problem. And yes, I can still turn brightness to maximum and reach a similar level of brightness as before and with seemingly the same exact color balance, so I don't know how much of it is power compatibility related. Important note is it seems only red and blue are impacted; a full screen of 0 255 0 green doesn't cause black screen with or without the ICC profile, so why it doesn't affect green I have no idea.

My previous screen was 768p at 6-bit color, had lower power envelope than the new 1080p at 8-bit screen. Windows and other tools do report 8-bit/32-bit color. If it's the laptop's problem or the screen is what I'm trying to figure out. I assume the eDP output can adapt it's voltage levels to any 30-pin screen but I don't know honestly.

:)

TrantaLocked, Feb 5, 2020
  2. Roan T Win User

Color Calibration

Hi,

To resolve your issue, you can try the steps below to restore
    the color calibration to default:

• Type
      color management in the search box, and then select
      Color Management.

• Click the
      Advancedtab, then click
      Change system defaults.

• Login with a user account that has administrative privileges to make the changes.

Feel free to contact us if you need further help.

Roan T, Feb 5, 2020
  3. Windows 10 color calibration keeps resetting

Thanks Jay.

After attempting the first suggestion on your link (tick Use Display Calibration and restart), the issue persisted.

I had to disable f.lux to solve this issue.

The Sliders in the Display Color Calibration tool now take effect as expected.

Michael

Michael_306, Feb 5, 2020
  4. Question about what color sliders in color calibration tool actually do

Color calibration

Hi Janine. I'm Reinald, an Independent advisor and a Windows user like you.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

Here's a guide on how you can calibrate your monitor colors:

1. Make sure that you're display resolution settings is recommended. To check, right click on your desktop > select display settings > in Display resolution select the recommended option. Once done, close it and proceed to the next step.

2 .Press the Windows Key and search for "Calibrate Display Colors"

3. Click Next to start the color calibration.

4. Just follow the screen prompt and adjust the settings to your preferred color settings.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Reinald T., Feb 5, 2020
Thema:

Question about what color sliders in color calibration tool actually do

1. Question about what color sliders in color calibration tool actually do - Similar Threads - Question color sliders

2. Color calibration

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Color calibration: Is there an easy way to switch between 2 color calibration settings quickly? submitted by /u/AndresVaccari2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ln067o/color_calibration/
  3. Windows Color Calibration

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Color Calibration: Howdy, I recently used the windows color calibration tool in control panel to try and adjust my display colors, and it has made my colors worse. I am unable to use the go back to previous settings to return to the default windows profile. Does anyone know how I can restore...
  4. calibrate display color

in Windows 10 Customization
    calibrate display color: How to calibrate display color in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/calibrate-display-color/ab4374c3-dfe7-48f3-977f-a46baf4d6f07
  5. Color Calibration

Color Calibration: I've got an MSI Laptop MSI GL63 9RCX. My laptop's display colors are not as expected. Black color on my display looks more of a dark grey. I've calibrated several times but this is not making any difference. Can someone help me in that?...
  6. Color Calibration

Color Calibration: After installing update 1903, my color was off. I clicked "how to calibrate my display" and it takes me to the "support.microsoft.com" I did all the after updates to 1903 and still can't calibrate. Any suggestions?...
  7. Calibrate display color

Calibrate display color: in the Calibrate display color , before that there was the option to set the gamma, but now the option is gone, including the gamma option on the nvidia control panel, it makes the Nvidia control panel Crash, I try to contact Nvidia but there is no option to send email, I...
  8. Color Calibration error

Color Calibration error: As shown in the video below, I'm having an issue with saving a colour calibration profile. the error "Display colour calibration cannot save the new calibration. Close other programs that are open, then try again. The specified color profile is invalid" I have updated all...
  9. color calibration

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    color calibration: the coloring of my monitor is off. When I print or work on images, the print result is different than what shows on my screen. I've tried to do the basic color calibration, but it's not correcting the issue....
  10. Windows color calibration tool and resetting calibration

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows color calibration tool and resetting calibration: I went and ran the built in color calibration tool in Windows 10 to adjust gamma, brightness, contrast etc but I want to restore this back to what it was before I ran this calibration tool. How do I do that? There does not seem to be an obvious "Restore Default" button...