Windows 10: Question about win10 license

Discus and support Question about win10 license in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello. I just bought myself a copy of Win10 Home. Shortly after I was told that it was a waste of money because Windows 10 is free. I can see that on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/FenMythal, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Question about win10 license

Hello.

I just bought myself a copy of Win10 Home. Shortly after I was told that it was a waste of money because Windows 10 is free. I can see that on Microsoft's site there's a download for it, but is it something you still need to purchase a key for to activate?

I am a little confused. Is Windows 10 free or not? Why is there a supposedly "official" way to get free windows, while they're also selling keys? Am I being lied to and it's just an exploit?

Thank you,

Fen

submitted by /u/FenMythal
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/FenMythal, Nov 17, 2020

2. Win10 app problem, and Volume License copy question.

Greetings, Microsoft Community Team

I have to provide an update to this question.

As Preeti Patel request, I ask the same question in TechNet forum. Here is a link:

Win10 app problem, and Volume License copy question.

In TechNet forum, they suggest me to use Media Creation Tool (Download Windows 10) and to install Win10 by myself.

I try to Upgrade to Win10 using the media creation tool, but without success. When I run it:

"Something happened 0x80070002 - 0x20016"

I have Genuine Win7 Pro SP1, Volume license copy.

I do not have Win10 app icon (it disappeared in mid-July).

In order to be clearer, I made Fn+PrtSc on key information:

http://1drv.ms/1Ux2VeV

Note: I am from Bulgaria. In case there is an update delay due to market priorities of Microsoft.

Tsvetomir Marinov, Nov 17, 2020
  3. If Win7 is free-upgraded to Win10, the partition backed up, then rolled back to Win7 before 29 July, will Win10 install from the backup with license at a later date?

This is a somewhat complex question, so please only answer if you fully understand it and
    know the answer!

Background: I have a Windows 7 computer that could be upgraded to Windows 10. I would like the free upgrade, but I don't wish to upgrade until I have to.

So I intend to do the following, if it will work:

• Upgrade Windows7 to Windows 10 before 29 July (i.e. take advantage of the free upgrade offer).
    • Do a partition backup for the upgraded (Win10) partition.
    • Roll back Windows 10 to Windows 7 (before 29 July).
    • Keep running Windows 7 until a little before new Critical Updates cease to be provided for it (14/1/2020).
    • Backup my personal data files.
    • Restore the OS partition from the Win10 partition backup I made in Step 2 above.
    • Copy my personal data files from my most recent backup to their respective folders on the Win10 partition.
    My question is: Will Step 6 above result in a licensed Windows 10, or is the license destroyed forever at Microsoft's server on the rollback to Win7 in step 3?

BigBadSteve, Nov 17, 2020
  4. Conor1974 Win User

Question about win10 license

License Transfer question

So I found this on the MS website.

Add Windows 8.1 Pro Pack or Windows 8.1 Media Center Pack to your edition of Windows 8.1

• Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)
    • Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
    • Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.1 and then do one of the following:
      • If you need to purchase a product key, tap or click I want to buy a product key online.
        Follow the steps to purchase and enter a product key.
      • If you already have a product key, tap or click I already have a product key.
    • Enter your product key and click Next.
    • Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

Would this be the way to do it? And would it matter that this would be the US version and not UK?

Thanks
      Conor

Conor1974, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

Question about win10 license

1. Question about win10 license - Similar Threads - Question win10 license

2. A question about licenses

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A question about licenses: Well I do often format my pc when needed ( long time no clean for example ) or when i change a core Pc component like motherboard or CPU. This time i haven't formatted my pc but changed motherboard and cpu and seems that suddenly that i do not own a windows license because...
  3. Win10 License is About to Expire

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 License is About to Expire: Hello All,I am getting a message now on bootup about my windows license is about to expire. This machine was bought from a refurbisher and is running well. In doing some research I have the following output from the following command slmgr.vbs /dlvSo it appears that this...
  4. Win10 License is About to Expire

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 License is About to Expire: Hello All,I am getting a message now on bootup about my windows license is about to expire. This machine was bought from a refurbisher and is running well. In doing some research I have the following output from the following command slmgr.vbs /dlvSo it appears that this...
  5. Win10 License is About to Expire

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  6. A question about windows License

A question about windows License: I had\have an Acer Office PC that originally came with Windows 8.1 that got upgraded to W10,I don't have a key and I'm guessing the license was tied to the motherboard.When I built my gaming PC I tied the license to my Microsoft account so I wouldn't have to buy a windows...
  7. Question about digital license

Question about digital license: Hello, so recently I decided to upgrade a 4 year old pre-built PC my brother gave me last year. I plan on changing almost every part on the PC(including the motherboard.) I was able to link my Microsoft account to the digital license. My concern is, since it was a pre-built,...
  8. A question about digital licenses

A question about digital licenses: Hey, If I activate Windows 10 Pro on a laptop with a digital license linked to account, why am I able to retain Windows 10 Pro if I reset the laptop and use the generic windows key for pro? Is Windows Pro baked in to the motherboard? Thanks submitted by /u/brybery21...
  9. Question about transferring license

Question about transferring license: One of my PCs, which I built myself, originally ran Windows 7, which I later updated to Windows 10 while it was still available as a free download. This PC has now reaching end of life and I'm wondering if there will be any issues using the same product key on a new computer....
  10. Question about upgraded license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about upgraded license: My laptop is running 10 home, upgraded from 8.1 core. I have a retail license for Windows 10 Pro. Will installing Windows 10 Pro affect my eligibility to clean install Windows 10 Home (based on my upgrade from OEM 8.1 Core) in case I want to sell my laptop and use my retail...