Windows 10: Question about Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance

Discus and support Question about Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; TL;DR Will automatic maintenance defrag my SSD? I'm running Windows 10 2004 19041.450. I'm thinking about running automatic maintenance at the end of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/super_saiyan1500, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Question about Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance

TL;DR Will automatic maintenance defrag my SSD?

I'm running Windows 10 2004 19041.450. I'm thinking about running automatic maintenance at the end of each day to keep my system updated without having to go through the hassle of doing it myself. I'm concerned because I've read automatic maintenance will defrag your disk, but I'm running on an ssd, so I don't want it defragged. I've heard recently that a bug was found in the Windows drive optimizer that unnecessarily defragged ssds. Will my drive be defragged during automatic maintenance?

submitted by /u/super_saiyan1500
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/super_saiyan1500, Sep 12, 2020
  2. Rong Jie Win User

Questions about Automatic Maintenance

I am not sure if there is a better name for Automatic Maintenance, I am referring to Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Maintenance > Automatic Maintenance.

How I know defragmentation is part of Automatic Maintenance:

• Open Defragmenter.
    • Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Maintenance > Automatic Maintenance.
    • Start Maintenance.
    • Go back to defragmenter, you will see it starts running.
    Since Automatic Maintenance will try to run during idle time and defragmentation is part of it, my HDD is being (partially) defragmented everyday. Is it harmful to my HDD?

Rong Jie, Sep 12, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Can I have a tray icon for automatic maintenance windows 10

On windows 8.1 it did always a windows defender scan with automatic maintenance, since I'm using defender on this 10 laptop, I think it will scan on this laptop as well when it does maintenance.

P4-630, Sep 12, 2020
  4. gdallsk Win User

Question about Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance

Can I have a tray icon for automatic maintenance windows 10

Ah yes, of course, almost forgot about that *Big Grin Question about Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance :D
    Yeah, the scan happens daily, defender will give you scan reports at the end of the week in your Notification Center.

gdallsk, Sep 12, 2020
Thema:

Question about Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance

1. Question about Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance - Similar Threads - Question Automatic Maintenance

2. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  3. Questions about Automatic updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Questions about Automatic updates: Hi Guys, If automatic update is set at every 03:00 AM but the PC is off, what will happen? Will it automatically update when it is powered ON the next day? If restart is scheduled during off hours, I suppose it will only download and install. The restart will be done during...
  4. Automatic Maintenance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Automatic Maintenance: This feature was accessed about 45 minutes ago and is still running. How do I get it to complete the maintenance, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-maintenance/40119d17-0c2e-41b4-9982-19d4ec0cfe38
  5. automatic maintenance win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    automatic maintenance win 10: i want to disable this feature how to do it? as i have new ssd if this defragments my ssd it may be bad for my ssd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/automatic-maintenance-win-10/833e5b55-d483-407f-8341-4606edf1e27d
  6. Question about Automatic Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question about Automatic Updates: Computers at my school always installing updates right after a user logged in. I have set scheduled time to 12 AM but i'm confused with Automatic Updates and AUOptions (don't know what it excatly called) If i disable Automatic Updates, and set AUOptions as "automatically...
  7. Automatic Maintenance Bug?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Automatic Maintenance Bug?: I did am no Malware. Also it has not done it again since the reboot.
  8. Question about Automatic Updates

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Automatic Updates: I have a question about Windows 10 and Automatic upgrades, windows 10 is free for a year, I was reading an article that said you will have to upgrade your computer by 2016 if you want to keep windows up to date? I thought Windows 10, once installed and activated, was free...
  9. new to windows 10 question about maintenance

new to windows 10 question about maintenance: new to windows 10 and wondering how often one should run disk clean up and disk defragmenter to keep the computer in top condition as well as virus scans . 75420
  10. Automatic maintenance and windows.old

Automatic maintenance and windows.old: I know windows.old can be purged by the user but I am curious about how often disk clean up runs as part of automatic maintenance. After the upgrade to fall creators both our machines were left with sizeable 20 odd gigs of windows.old i left it about ten days and then gave...