Windows 10: Question about Windows 10 "big version" updates

Discus and support Question about Windows 10 "big version" updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; OS upgrades have never been exactly clean, they usually present issues that seem completely random. People have often said that if you upgraded from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by trparky, Oct 6, 2017.

1. trparky Win User

Question about Windows 10 "big version" updates

OS upgrades have never been exactly clean, they usually present issues that seem completely random. People have often said that if you upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 that as soon as you're done, do a Reset this PC immediately after because God knows what kind of stuff is going to go wrong after the upgrade.

So with that being said... As we all know, Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (presumably 16299.15) is going to be released to the public. With that said I have never understood why these big "updates" are installed the way that they are. Why are they installed as if they are full OS upgrades and not just as a "slightly bigger" cumulative update?

:)

trparky, Oct 6, 2017
  2. hitch_11 Win User

about " memory full . close ... " problem ! n97 and equalizer !

i dont have any problems of those u listed i exit frrom all applications when i finish ! well this means there is no solution so thanks a lot nokia Question about Windows 10 "big version" updates :(

and about the music i was talking about the phone loudspeaker .. !

hitch_11, Oct 6, 2017
  3. hitch_11 Win User
    about " memory full . close ... " problem ! n97 and equalizer !

1-hey ..! i did a format to my nokia n97 few days ago .. before i did the format i had the problem that sometimes when i go to photos its says " memory full close some applicartions ..." and now i have it again ! so i just wanna know how to
    solve this problem its really annoying !

2- my best music kind is trance ,, but i dont enjoy listening trance on my n97 coz music does'nt sound good for this kind of music .. so i want to know if there is a way to make n97 music sounds like x6 or even 5800 ( i guess ) .. through some
    application or through equalizer or whatever ! i dont wanna get another phone Question about Windows 10 "big version" updates :(

hope u help me .. ! thanks Question about Windows 10 "big version" updates :)

hitch_11, Oct 6, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

This is actually a huge advantage from a maintenance perspective.

Each new build you get a complete new set of compatible system files- your PC's system files (and some settings) are given a spring (or autumn! clean.

In Windows 7 days we ended up having huge numbers of updates between service packs- over 100 I think- then finally SP3 came out. Then more updates.. To get up to date from a clean install was a nightmare of updates.

With Windows 10, starting from scratch, expect to install the major base build, one large cumulative update and perhaps one other.

Further, the build upgrades are used to both remove (deprecate) features and add new ones. whereas updates are to correct issues. So each new major build is to a revised specification.

dalchina, Oct 6, 2017
  5. trparky Win User
    But there's a lot of things that are going on behind the scenes when you're doing a Windows Upgrade (be it from Windows 7 to 10 or from an older version of 10 to a new version of 10). You can tell that there's a lot of things going on because there's lots of junk left behind after the upgrade. With that being said, the more things you do the more things can go wrong.

So I come back to the question... Why can't one of these "big updates" to Windows 10 be installed more like a cumulative update as versus what seems like an in-place upgrade?

trparky, Oct 7, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    My system started life as an OEM Windows 7, took the free upgrade to 10 when it was first released and has been through every "big version" upgrade since. I've had no issues so far.

Actually, a Windows 10 upgrade install seems to be quite effective at sorting out the 'dross'. It's often recommended an effective cure for system problems that sfc/scannow and dism can't fix.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Bree, Oct 7, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Microsoft are working on that, it's called the Unified Update Platform (UUP).
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...uhvH7WFEsgh.97

The current system is called Electronic Software Download (ESD). Judging by comments from some Insiders, UUP needs a bit more work yet...
    https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10...ml#post1161073

Bree, Oct 7, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Unclear to what you are referring. Windows.old? That's automatically deleted after 10 days- during which period it allows you to reverse the upgrade.
    @Bree
    - does that mean that the change in download size actually only applies to cumulative updates, not build upgrades?
    seems to mean that upgrades would be as is.. after all, the build number changes on all system files if nothing else.

dalchina, Oct 7, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    @dalchina, I'm not an Insider, so I can only go by what those who are say on the 16299.15 thread (the likely candidate for Fall Creators Update) and this from the MS blog...
    ...which seems to say the Fall Creators Update will be sent through windows update just containing the changed system files, provided you are up to date on Creators Update. We'll find out in the Fall...

Bree, Oct 7, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Thanks.. which implies files with a mix of version numbers.. well, why not? Actually, if imageres.dll were not replaced, that saves me a small job of changing icons in it!

dalchina, Oct 7, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    We already have that apparently - check the Details tab for the properties of your C:\Windows\explorer.exe

12. dalchina New Member
    15063 - I meant the major build numbers would become a mixture (presumably) if unchanged system files were left unmodified.

dalchina, Oct 7, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

Presumably if the only change from 15063 to 16299 for a particular system file is the build number then a delta patch would be applied.

Thema:

1. Question about Windows 10 "big version" updates - Similar Threads - Question big version

2. Question about Windows 10 version 1903

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Windows 10 version 1903: My computer was having troubles starting up it took 1 min 37 seconds to get to the login screen, and it had trouble shutting down it would restart unless I disabled fast startup option. It also wouldn't sleep if I choose sleep. It would wake up once in a while, and go back to...
  3. Question about Windows 10 version 1903

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Windows 10 version 1903: My computer was having troubles starting up it took 1 min 37 seconds to get to the login screen, and it had trouble shutting down it would restart unless I disabled fast startup option. It also wouldn't sleep if I choose sleep. It would wake up once in a while, and go back to...
  4. Question about Windows 10 version 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows updates question about 2004 and latest version.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows updates question about 2004 and latest version.: Asus x540, running Pentium and 4GB. Yes I did say she’s still running. I keep noticing that I have: feature update 2004 pending...I started to install and then looked up an article about it not working in some computers. Not sure if I had to reboot to stop it or what...
  6. BIG Question About activating Windows 10

BIG Question About activating Windows 10: [ATTACH] So I had just recently bought parts for a PC and had him build it for me and to make sure everything was set up properly. I however didn't buy a license key because i knew i would have like a 30 day trial or something like that but i was confused as to why i...
  7. Question about updating windows 10 version.

Question about updating windows 10 version.: What happens if I update my windows 10 to the latest version? Is it equivalent to a fresh windows 10 installation? (But files will not be deleted). The reason I'm asking is because I've been having this "Class not registered" error when opening literally any apps on my...
  8. Big thanks and a question about Tutorials

in Windows 10 Support
    Big thanks and a question about Tutorials: First, I have to give big, big thanks to the guys who write all these tutorials. Even if I think I know how to accomplish a task, it's still very nice to get an expert opinion. My question: How do you guys all decide which topics need tutorials? How do you find the time to...
  9. Few Small Questions About After The Recent Big Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Few Small Questions About After The Recent Big Update: So after the big update, I have a few questions. 1. Some of my tiles in the start menu have changed colour from blue to black don't look right next to the blue tiles. How do I change it back to what it was before? 2. Safe to remove both "$WINDOWS.~BT" and "Windows.old"...
  10. Question About Feature Update Version 1709

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question About Feature Update Version 1709: I just noticed there's an update waiting for me to put in a time for it to be installed. It's the Feature Update Version 1709 for Windows 10. Is this a mandatory update, do I need it for security? I do very simple things on my computer and don't necessarily want anything...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Update win 10 v10240 to v1909 on hp