Windows 10: Question about Windows 10 Product Key on old PC

Discus and support Question about Windows 10 Product Key on old PC in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just recently built a new computer and used my Windows 10 Product Key from my previous computer when installing Windows 10 on to my new PC. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JeffreyS1984, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Question about Windows 10 Product Key on old PC

I just recently built a new computer and used my Windows 10 Product Key from my previous computer when installing Windows 10 on to my new PC. I've already did a factory reset on my previous PC and I plan to sell it. So what happens with my old PC when it's booted up? Will it prompt the user to install Windows 10 on to it and use a product key or what? I just want to know before I begin selling my previous PC.

submitted by /u/JeffreyS1984
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/JeffreyS1984, Mar 13, 2021
  2. FinZak Win User

Product key association disable on old pc

Hey,

I sold my old pc to a friend. He installed some missing parts (HDD, GPU and RAM). Then we installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit version from USB stick. I was surprised to see that windows was automatically activated after that. I did some digging and found out that it is using my product key, which i use now in my own new pc. My friend does not have his own product key, the idea was that he just uses the unactivated windows with limited features.

I uninstalled my Windows 10 product key via command prompt in friends computer (as i understand this is only local solution, if he reinstall windows or clicks the active button, it reactivates automatically with my product key) and now it says windows is not activated, but my product key is still shown with Produkey app in his pc. So far windows is still activated my own pc.

My questions:

1. Is this all i need to do?
    2. How do i get rid of product key showing still with product key showing apps on my friend's computer?
    3. Is there a way to get rid of association of my product key on that old pc that i sold to friend?

EDIT: I originally installed windows 10 via upgrade option from Windows 7, if that matters.

FinZak, Mar 13, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 13, 2021
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Question about Windows 10 Product Key on old PC

Product key association disable on old pc

It's not "your" product key. It is the generic Windows 10 product key that everyone gets when they upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1.
    Clean Windows 10 Install for Free: This is the Only Way | PCsteps.com

Scroll down to Can I Find the Windows 10 Product Key

And, BTW, using Windows 10 unactivated with the limited features violates the End Users License Agreement:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Uset...10_English.htm

Your friend that has the computer now should just enter the generic Windows 10 Home product key and let it activate from the digital license stored on Microsoft Activation Servers.

This is the Windows 10 Pro Product key from an upgrade (on my computer):

Question about Windows 10 Product Key on old PC [​IMG]

this is the Windows 10 Home Product key from an upgrade (also on my computer):

Question about Windows 10 Product Key on old PC [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Mar 13, 2021
Thema:

Question about Windows 10 Product Key on old PC

1. Question about Windows 10 Product Key on old PC - Similar Threads - Question Product Key

2. A Question about OEM Product Keys.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A Question about OEM Product Keys.: Hello guys,I know that this might be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.I am wondering about OEM Keys, hence the title of this thread. I am considering switching to blendOS, or Ubuntu. Linux Distros because I have fricked up my Windows 10 installation in...
  3. A Question about OEM Product Keys.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A Question about OEM Product Keys.: Hello guys,I know that this might be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.I am wondering about OEM Keys, hence the title of this thread. I am considering switching to blendOS, or Ubuntu. Linux Distros because I have fricked up my Windows 10 installation in...
  4. A Question about OEM Product Keys.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Questions About the Windows 11 Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Questions About the Windows 11 Product Key: I am building a new PC and I want to install windows 11 on it. On Microsoft's website, I can download Windows 11 for free, or I could pay for a USB one, or I can pay for the Windows 11 Home downloaded. If I download Windows 11 for free, how can I get a product key for the...
  6. Questions About the Windows 11 Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Questions About the Windows 11 Product Key: I am building a new PC and I want to install windows 11 on it. On Microsoft's website, I can download Windows 11 for free, or I could pay for a USB one, or I can pay for the Windows 11 Home downloaded. If I download Windows 11 for free, how can I get a product key for the...
  7. Question about a product key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about a product key: So this random guy that I have never met before but have spoken to a small handful of times randomly gave me a Windows 10 Pro key as well as Enterprise for as he put it, an early Christmas present . The guy says he works with computers and stuff and cited this as to how he...
  8. About my old product key

About my old product key: i purchased my laptop with original windows 8,due to some reason i have to install windows again ,how can i get my product key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-my-old-product-key/858ff08d-2095-4a2e-8599-6d100b98989b
  9. Question about Windows 10 Product key online recovery

Question about Windows 10 Product key online recovery: Hello, a few months ago while I was searching Microsoft Help I saw a suggestion to store my Windows 10 product key online. I was asked to make an account in Microsoft for that purpose and so I did. My thought was that if I came across any problem running windows in my pc...
  10. A Stupid Question About Windows 10 Product Keys

in Windows 10 Support
    A Stupid Question About Windows 10 Product Keys: Hello All, So I am happily running Windows 10 build 10240, and I' m loving it. There is so much talk here at The Windows Ten Forum regarding exactly what will happen on July 29th, and how each person is going to receive and activate their public release version of Windows...