Windows 10: Question About Windows 10 Security Patches Continuity

Discus and support Question About Windows 10 Security Patches Continuity in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, In my company, we are using windows OS for industrial systems. These systems are isolated systems and not connected to the internet. To ensure... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Blue0rbit, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Blue0rbit Win User

Question About Windows 10 Security Patches Continuity

Hello,

In my company, we are using windows OS for industrial systems. These systems are isolated systems and not connected to the internet. To ensure that all cybersecurity risks are mitigated, we try to ensure that the latest security windows patches are always installed timely to close any newly identified vulnerability.

Since Windows 7 end of life date was earlier this year and no more security patched are being issued by MS, we are planning to upgrader the systems to latest available Windows. However I have read that there are no plans to issue Windows 11 and instead Windows 10 will continue as a service model.

My question is can someone confirm that MS will keep issuing security patches for Windows 10 even past the announced end of life date ? or would it eventually cease similar to Windows 7 patches?

Regards,

:)

Blue0rbit, Jun 4, 2020

2. Apple patches over two dozen security holes in recent patch.

Mac OS X 10 has recently been the subject of tons of security testing. To patch most of the findings of those tests, Apple has released a security update. The update patches irPort, Apple Type Services, Finder, Installer, Security Framework, VPN, and several web services. A full list of notes regarding this patch can be found here, and you can get the patch here.

Source: The Register

zekrahminator, Jun 4, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 4, 2020
  4. Question About Windows 10 Security Patches Continuity

Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Question About Windows 10 Security Patches Continuity [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Jun 4, 2020
Thema:

Question About Windows 10 Security Patches Continuity

1. Question About Windows 10 Security Patches Continuity - Similar Threads - Question Security Patches

2. Question about Windows Security

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Windows Security: I was having major computer troubles a few weeks ago, and a local tech company's technician reverted my Windows 10 back to version 1903 because my computer was taking a long, long time to start up. He also installed the newest version of Bitdefender free trial on this older...
  3. Question about Windows Security

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about Windows Security: I was having major computer troubles a few weeks ago, and a local tech company's technician reverted my Windows 10 back to version 1903 because my computer was taking a long, long time to start up. He also installed the newest version of Bitdefender free trial on this older...
  4. Question about Windows Security

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Question about secure boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about secure boot.: Can I disable secure boot for some time and enable it again ? As i want to run a portable distro on my machine btw I am on a dell PC. So will disabling and enabling secure boot affect my PC in anyway ? Will it mess up windows ?...
  6. Question about Windows Security Message

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Question about Windows Security Message: An attachment from an email was opened & immediately a virus threat message appeared. I have a subscription to Microsoft Office 365. I ran the Windows Security full scan & the following messages appeared in Protection History: 1. Threat found - action needed. High. 2....
  7. Windows 10 Security Patches Continuity

Windows 10 Security Patches Continuity: Hello, In my company, we are using windows OS for industrial systems. These systems are isolated systems and not connected to the internet. To ensure that all cybersecurity risks are mitigated, we try to ensure that the latest security windows patches are always installed...
  8. Question about win10 security features

Question about win10 security features: Cheers! A simple question: Provided I have a PIN set during the setup of my win10 OS on my desktop, is there ever a situation where the OS requires me to type in my Microsoft account password also created during setup as the OS demanded it. If there is such a case, is there...
  9. A question about security

A question about security: So, first of all sorry for asking this question again but. Recently I upgraded to the Fall update for Windows 10, and ditched Avast as I feel it used to be a great software but not anymore sadly. So the main question is, if you guys could suggest a software that is good...
  10. Question About Browser Security

in Browsers and Email
    Question About Browser Security: My bank's website recently stopped supporting browsers other than IE. I found a way around the fact that the login button doesn't work in my favorite browser, but after testing the sites other features, a question occurred to me. Are there likely to be any security issues...