Windows 10: Question about Windows 10 UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot

Discus and support Question about Windows 10 UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, basically if we have a computer that doesn't have a UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot, then we can't upgrade to Windows 10? Am I right or wrong here? 4913 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jesse Williams, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Question about Windows 10 UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot

So, basically if we have a computer that doesn't have a UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot, then we can't upgrade to Windows 10? Am I right or wrong here?

:)

Jesse Williams, Mar 23, 2015

2. Boot error on Dell Inspiron 15 3000

Power up while pressing the Dell F1 or F2 key to access BIOS setup or UEFI Firmware. Report back settings for Boot Priority Order, UEFI, CSM, Legacy BIOS, and Secure Boot.

There is an issue where WIndows Update or a version Update can force an MSAHCI driver which toggles the BIOS/UEFI to AHCI and actually turns on UEFI and Secure Boot on an install with UEFI firmware that has been installed in Legacy Mode. If so, in addition
    to SATA setting the UEFI settings and Secure Boot need to be disabled while the Windows hard drive needs to be set first to boot. But if your install was to UEFI or you have no UEFI then it doesn't apply.

What You Need to Know About Using UEFI Instead of the BIOS

Once that is ruled out then everything is sequenced here for
    Troubleshooting Windows 8 and 10 Failure to Start - Microsoft Community.

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 23, 2015
  3. Cant choose keyboard layout

Do you have a UEFI BIOS? Look for UEFI settings on all tabs to enable. If you see no UEFI, CSM, Legacy BIOS, Secure Boot, or Windows Boot Manager in the Boot priority list then you have an older BIOS and don't need to worry about it.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 23, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Question about Windows 10 UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot

I know when I updated to Build 10041 I had to set up Secure Boot on my motherboard BIOS before it would work. That was not the case in any of the previous builds. But given the number of older PC's I hope not.

BunnyJ, Mar 23, 2015
  5. Dave44 Win User
    could be just for newer machines as lots of old bios machines still about doubt MS want to upset millions or people with not being able to upgrade to windows 10 as there said lots of time they want everyone on the latest versions of windows

Dave44, Mar 23, 2015
  6. badrobot Win User
    Wrong.
    I updated my Windows 7 (just for testing) with UEFI and Secure Boot disabled and everything is fine.
    One guy I know here ( @TechnoMage ) is using a decade old machine to run Windows 10 (is that right TM?).

badrobot, Mar 23, 2015
  7. linw Win User
    I have an old Dell E520 with P4 processor and win 10 runs on that. Certainly this mobo/BIOS has never heard of secure boots or UEFI!!!

8. Question about Windows 10 UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot

Well, let's just hope secure boot with UEFI is not required. I've just been reading online about it.

Jesse Williams, Mar 24, 2015
  9. Wynona Win User
    Not at all, Jesse. I have two laptops with Legacy BIOS and both have Windows 10 on them.

I just finished installing Build 10041 and according to instructions, I had to disable Secure Boot before installation.

Edit: Once installation was complete, I then re-enabled Secure Boot like the 'structions said. *Smile

Wynona, Mar 24, 2015
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

currently running on an OLD system with ASUS Mobo and AMD Phenom processor -- secure boot or UEFI wasn't even THOUGHT of when this system was built. !!!!!

Running X-64 ENTERPRISE GB version.

Note though even with SECURE boot and UEFI you CAN also install W10 by simply disabling the Secure boot.

Tested on an HP laptop.

(if you format the boot HDD / SSD to MBR rather than GPT you don't even need to use UEFI enabled either).

Finally if Ms go the crazy route of forcing secure boot - I'm sure this will kill zillions of users who use this OS in a VM or even corporates using Virtual Desktop Integration schemes -- in a VM you can enable UEFI even on a non UEFI machine with some VM type software (VMware for example) but you can't yet enable secure boot in the VM's Virtual Bios. I think the whole secure boot thing will just be a "nine days wonder" and disappear from discussion soon. Ms will USE it but won't ENFORCE it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 24, 2015
  11. *Smile *Smile Everything I've got is old, just like me! rofl

Yes, I know I've said it before, but let me say it again, "Windows 10 seems to have GREAT backward compatibility, with older hardware".... "it comes with a really Great driver package".

It even picked up some add on cards that I have in my PC, like a USB 3.0 PCIe card and it installed my Epson XP-410 printer, without me having to load the drivers. I just think that's 'SO NEAT!'.

If I install XP on this PC, I have to dig out a whole stack of driver disks. That sucks!

I've installed Windows 10 on five different PC's, so far, and they all are over 6 years old, with standard BIOS. No Problem!

I've said this before too: "If MS doesn't screw it up, Windows 10 should breath new life into older PC's, for people who can't afford a new one."

Cheers Mates!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Mar 24, 2015
  12. badrobot Win User
    I think you should post your speccy as a proof for everyone to see . lol...

badrobot, Mar 24, 2015
  13. linw Win User

How have you guys/gals been installing win 10 on old comps? I went the ISO route on my Dell and got the 5D error, NX bit type of problem, even though the BIOS had a yes against that setting.

I got around it by booting from a utility boot CD and then running sources\setup.exe from the ISO disk.

14. badrobot Win User
    Are you using 64-bit or 32-bit ISO?

badrobot, Mar 24, 2015
  15. linw Win User
    I used the 32 bit ver but may try the 64 bit one as a test.

Edit:- may be a bit more complicated than I thought. Seems as if the windows boot disk I was using is the deciding factor over whether a) the ISO will install and b) whether it will take a 32 or 64 bit install. Has to be the same 'bittedness' as the Win OS it is seeing.

In summary, this method is not a true bare metal install at all. If you are going to use a utility windows boot disk to install a 64 bit system the boot disk has to have 64 bit code.

Mine is just a test setup so no problem but I am interested in TechnoMage's methods.

Thema:

1. Question about Windows 10 UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot - Similar Threads - Question UEFI BIOS

2. What is Secure Boot? Questions about Memtest86

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is Secure Boot? Questions about Memtest86: I have a few questions about Secure Boot and Memtest86: What is Secure Boot? If I accidentally downloaded a virus instead of Memtest86 and tried to run it on a bootable USB does Secure Boot stop it or can it get control over my whole PC? If I understand MS documentation...
  3. Question about secure boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about secure boot.: Can I disable secure boot for some time and enable it again ? As i want to run a portable distro on my machine btw I am on a dell PC. So will disabling and enabling secure boot affect my PC in anyway ? Will it mess up windows ?...
  4. UEFI Secure boot

UEFI Secure boot: hi guys...pls help meif i need windows 11 then it tells me to enable secure boot....but if i go to my BIOS and enable my secure boot it should show my desktop....but it is showing something to setup........
  5. UEFI Secure Boot on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UEFI Secure Boot on Windows 10: Hi, does protecting Windows 10 boot process from know attacks is by simply enabling Secure Boot option in UEFI settings in contrast to the long procedure to follow in GNU/Linux distributions to enable that security feature ? Thanks. submitted by /u/Spare_Prize1148 [link]...
  6. Windows UEFI, BIOS, and chipset questions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows UEFI, BIOS, and chipset questions: Hallo Guys im new to the Forum, i've got some questions maybe someone could help me. At first sorry for my english i'm from Germany ^^ Now to my questions, i've got my self a Clevo Notebook with the Mainboard: NB50TJ1_TK1, i dont have any kind of manual because the Shop...
  7. UEFI Secure Boot questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UEFI Secure Boot questions: My laptop has Windows 10 with Secure Boot enabled in my UEFI firmware setting and my question is, can Secure Boot still protect booting from a malicious OS or tool (from a bootable USB stick) even when using the F12 Boot Menu Options prompt? I have a Dell laptop, which uses...
  8. Can't disable secure boot in bios/uefi

Can't disable secure boot in bios/uefi: I'm having trouble installing windows 10 on my new built. after asking a microsoft employee they told me to disable the secure boot. but for some reason there is no option for that, its either - Other OS - Windows UEFI mode what do i do? My mobo is a Asus Prime...
  9. UEFI bios enabled but no secure boot on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI bios enabled but no secure boot on windows 10?: So i had secure boot up and running on my windows 8.1 machine after a clean install, but now since microsoft upgraded me to windows 10 it seems as my secure boot is off again, but it's enabled in my bios is so weird, it's enabled in bios but off in windows 10? Is not much of...
  10. Question about Computer booting into BIOS not w10

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Computer booting into BIOS not w10: Hey all, so the issue is, i got a NEWER(to me) MOBO and set up the computer as per-normal, the issue i'm facing is... when I power on the PC, it boots DIRECTLY into BIOS, not POST issues/start up messages Checked CMOS battery, is still good and hold settings...