Windows 10: Question about Windows Encrypting File System (EFS)

Discus and support Question about Windows Encrypting File System (EFS) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi I've been playing around with EFS but I cannot currently test this one thing that popped to my mind. I have a laptop with an SSD (Local disk C:\)... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by arteh, Jan 15, 2020.

1. arteh Win User

Question about Windows Encrypting File System (EFS)

Hi
    I've been playing around with EFS but I cannot currently test this one thing that popped to my mind.
    I have a laptop with an SSD (Local disk C:\) and a HD (Local disk D:\).
    Windows installed on SSD, personal files kept on HD.
    Windows is protected with a user account with password.
    I used EFS (not BitLocker, just EFS) on some files on the HD.

If my laptop gets stolen, and if the thief removes that HD and connects it to another computer that he has access on, if he uses a Linux live USB/CD to boot, what stops him from copying the encrypted files from my HD and then being able to access them?
    I'm assuming that he won't be asked for Windows password since that stays on the SSD and he removed the HD and put it on another computer...

If anyone haven't played around with EFS, once you get access to the encrypted files, nothing stops you from copying them to another media and then pasting them to another computer and access them.

:)

arteh, Jan 15, 2020

2. Win 10 pro EFS Encrypting File System Problem (Dell)

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I suggest you to start the Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Search for Encrypting File System (EFS) Service.
    • Double click on Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and click on
      Start button.
    • Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to
      Automatic.
    If the issue still persists then, I suggest you to post the same question in TechNet forum for further assistance with this issue. Follow the below link to post your question in TechNet forum.

Technet forums

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Question about Windows Encrypting File System (EFS)

You are able to copy the EFS encrypted files because are are logged in using the user account that has access to those encrypted files. When you copy the files to another location, Windows decrypts the files on the fly to place them on a non-encrypted device. It's been a few years so forgive my lack of memory on all details, but I think that if you were copying to say a thumb drive that is formatted with NTFS the file would remain encrypted since that destination is capable of storing EFS encrypted files.

So, if a user connects the HD to another system, they would not be logged on with the correct credentials and as a result the file would remain encrypted and inaccessible to them. I think that they may be able to copy the file, but it stays encrypted and inaccessible.

Easy way to test this:

Set File Explorer to show EFS encrypted files in an alternate color.
    Encrypt a test file on your computer.
    Format a thumb drive with NTFS.
    Copy the EFS encrypted file to that thumb drive. It should show in the alternate color indicating it is still encrypted.
    Move that thumb drive to another machine that you have not added you EFS encryption certificate to.
    The file should remain inaccessible (it won't decrypt).

hsehestedt, Jan 15, 2020
  4. Question about Windows Encrypting File System (EFS)

hsehestedt, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

Question about Windows Encrypting File System (EFS)

1. Question about Windows Encrypting File System (EFS) - Similar Threads - Question Encrypting File

2. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  3. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  4. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  5. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Encrypting File System EFS BackUp question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypting File System EFS BackUp question: Before you encrypt anything important, A.you should back up your file recovery certificate and your B.personal encryption certificate with their associated private keys, C.as well as the data recovery agent certificate to a USB flash drive UFD. Store the UFD in a secure...
  7. Encryption File System EFS decryption issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encryption File System EFS decryption issue: Hello everyone, I have a huge problem and i need help. Windows encrypted my files with EFS and bit locker for the hard drive. I had to restore my computer after i noticed malicious program was running and causing problems. I was unable to restore from a known good point so...
  8. Encrypting File System EFS and Windows Hello

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Encrypting File System EFS and Windows Hello: Does anyone know how EFS certificates are secured when using Windows Hello with an account? I was under the impression that the EFS private key was secured by encrypting it with the password. However on an account with Windows Hello enabled, logging in using Windows Hello...
  9. Confused about EFS encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Confused about EFS encryption: EFS encryption has never been anything but trouble for me (and probably for most people), and I would love to be able to turn it off completely. I followed the steps on this page: Disable Auto Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Windows and I'm wondering how free...
  10. Confused about EFS encryption

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about EFS encryption: EFS encryption has never been anything but trouble for me (and probably for most people), and I would love to be able to turn it off completely. I followed the steps on this page: Disable Auto Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Windows and I'm wondering how free...