Windows 10: Question about Windows Indexing USB Drives

Discus and support Question about Windows Indexing USB Drives in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows Indexing of external discs. If such discs are being powered off and maybe powered on again a couple of days, or even a week later, does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tfwul, Jan 12, 2021.

1. tfwul Win User

Question about Windows Indexing USB Drives

Windows Indexing of external discs.

If such discs are being powered off and maybe powered on again a couple of days, or even a week later, does Windows' index 'remember' what is stored where on these drives?
    Or will Windows start indexing them from scratch?

One might argue that basically it would not matter, after all internal HDD's are also powered off when switching off the PC.
    OTOH, after booting Windows will continue to keep the index up-to-date, but then again only as far as internal HDD's is concerned.

Just curious to know what will happen with the index data of the external drives.

Are they safeguarded against overwriting?

Thanks.

:)

tfwul, Jan 12, 2021
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jan 12, 2021
  3. Dalmango Win User
    Search Not Indexing Optical Drive

Thanks,

• When you mentioned D Drive, are you pertaining to a partition or a separate external drive? - D Drive = Solid State Drive; 1 of 2 internal drives (the other being an optical drive);
    • Were you able to check if indexing was already completed? - Indexing completed on each attempt of rectification;
    • In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter - Done prior to posting; useless! It does not find any problems.

Dalmango, Jan 12, 2021
  4. Question about Windows Indexing USB Drives

Indexing external drives W10

No Joy

It seems to think there are no issues.

To be clear INDEXING works on the C Drive but not the new E USB external drive even though I have added it to the list of drives to INDEX

PaulHoebeck, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

Question about Windows Indexing USB Drives

1. Question about Windows Indexing USB Drives - Similar Threads - Question Indexing USB

2. USB Drive Question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Drive Question: Can anyone give me advice on how do I stop my USB drive to not keep flashing constantly? My 4GB pen drive is not staying stable. I need some help on it. I tried running some command prompts, tried deleting the driver, and restarting the computer, tried plugging and unplugging...
  3. A question about a recovery usb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A question about a recovery usb drive: Hi, so I am posting this because my computer isn't too new but it is still running 10 smoothly. But since it isnt too new now, it may stop responding, lag, not boot properly, give errors, etc . There are some trojans that overwrite your MBR like it happened in 2016. I may...
  4. Question about cloning a drive

Question about cloning a drive: Hi, I am wanting to do a fresh install of Windows 10 pro, i have a ton of Music related applications that i would rather not go through the process of reinstalling and activating etc etc Could i clone my C drive (that's my OS drive) and then do a fresh install of Windows 10...
  5. Questions about reinstalling Windows from a USB

Questions about reinstalling Windows from a USB: Split from this thread. Hello once again! I have a questions about reinstalling Windows from a USB. I have many partitions that I want to wipe to start clean I have saved all of my personal data to an external hard drive already. How can I get Windows to specifically...
  6. Question about USB installation drive

Question about USB installation drive: Hi, could Windows have problems if it was installed with a USB bootable drive that was prepared from an external HDD? Let me explain: since I didn't want to uselessly load the PC on which I prepared the installation USB drive I sent it at download to an external HDD. Now, I...
  7. Questions about TRIM for drive

Questions about TRIM for drive: Hiya. So I have perhaps an unusual situation. My computer has C: and D: drive. The D: drive is an exact backup clone of C: drive for instant recovery purposes (All my computers have been set up this way for over 15 years). I'm using Macrium Reflect that updates the clone by...
  8. A question about USB drives

A question about USB drives: Hey, Don't know if this a dumb question or not but I'm asking just because I'm curious. Deleted data still stays on a drive, right? At least until it's overwritten by another thing? When I plug a flash drive or even a phone via USB in a PC and delete a file from there, is...
  9. Question about Recovery Drive

Question about Recovery Drive: I have a primary drive which is 500 GB - I would like to split it so that I can use half for OS and half for data. I made a recovery USB (before I split the drive) and I would like to know that if I restore whether the disk partition will go back to how it was when the...
  10. question about using a boot usb

question about using a boot usb: Hi, I recently did a windows update and now the pc wont boot up but just goes into the repair mode. I have tried all options to no avail. I have made a boot usb as I hoped to be able to just boot into windows with that. There seems to be only 2 options . Repair ( which just...