Windows 10: Question: Are the file sizes on Apple Lossless 2004 songs usually if not always more...

Discus and support Question: Are the file sizes on Apple Lossless 2004 songs usually if not always more... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Having just been upgraded from Norton 360 Deluxe Plus to Norton 360 Premium II at no additional charge through Norton Support live chat, I’ve decided... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by thomasseymour18901, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Question: Are the file sizes on Apple Lossless 2004 songs usually if not always more...

Having just been upgraded from Norton 360 Deluxe Plus to Norton 360 Premium II at no additional charge through Norton Support live chat, I’ve decided to put my 150 GB of Norton Cloud storage to good use by moving all my audio CD rips and software files from my personal OneDrive over to Norton Cloud. I’ll also save Safari web archive files of anything that catches my interest in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand to Norton Cloud like homes, vehicles, tech, apparel, and plenty more to keep track of things 10-40 years from now.

:)

thomasseymour18901, Dec 3, 2021

2. Apple Lossless not support on WP8?

Hi,

I'm in the same boat as you as my music library is mostly Apple Lossless encoded. I'd prefer FLAC, but due to iTunes and my previous iPhones/iPads it has to be ALAC.

Since I'm on a Mac I was glad to learn that Apple lossless support has been advertised in various news and change logs since version 1.1 of the official Windows Phone Connector app for Mac. It turns out though that by ALAC "support" Microsoft actually
    means the ability to transcode those lossless files to a lossy format. Judging by file size on the device, I guess 192 Kbit/s M4A or variable bitrate, but certainly not lossless. Also, you don't have any option to select a format/bitrate to transcode to. As
    far as I know this feature (if you really want to call it that) is only available on Mac.

Your only option to get lossless audio on the device seems to be WMA lossless - which for me is an absolute no-go. Apple Lossless might already be niche compared to FLAC, but WMA lossless? I've never seen one of those in the wild and I won't transcode
    my ALAC files to a format absolutely nobody cares for or supports.

However if you're willing to transcode to WMA lossless you shouldn't have any problem doing it. Just be aware of the fact that those WMA files, of course, won't be available in iTunes meaning you have to transfer them via Explorer (guessing you are using
    Windows?).

The lossless situation is terrible right now and I don't see why an apparently easy task like adding another codec to the spec list isn't happening. I understand that the demand for lossless audio comes from a small crowd, however these folks tend to be
    serious about these issues and other options are readily available: Apple has ALAC, Android plays FLAC (maybe even ALAC?). Me, I'm just sticking with Windows Phone since I otherwise like the OS and am confident that Microsoft will fill these gaps.

I also just purchased the Nokia 920, with the promise that I could bring my songs into the Microsoft fold. I'm not to happy with this outcome regarding ALAC, I have about 20,000 songs, about 80% of them are from my CD collection ripped in Apple Lossless format,
    and no I am not on a Mac. These are the kinds of maneuvers that make it difficult to switch from an iOS device to a Windows phone. I'm not looking forward to converting all my songs, and the double disk space we are talking about, plus the hours just to
    get some music on this phone. Microsoft should be doing anything and everything to accommodate a switchover, and ALAC support doesn't seem too much to ask.

Gotta love the ambiguous c00d5212 errors all over the place, and the lovely way the phone flips through songs like an old animation cartoon as it's hitting each song.

I'd be okay if the Windows Phone desktop app nicely down sampled the song to play on the device, but alas no option for that.

Jason Walters, Dec 3, 2021
  3. thirdsun Win User
    Apple Lossless not support on WP8?

Hi,

I'm in the same boat as you as my music library is mostly Apple Lossless encoded. I'd prefer FLAC, but due to iTunes and my previous iPhones/iPads it has to be ALAC.

Since I'm on a Mac I was glad to learn that Apple lossless support has been advertised in various news and change logs since version 1.1 of the official Windows Phone Connector app for Mac. It turns out though that by ALAC "support" Microsoft actually
    means the ability to transcode those lossless files to a lossy format. Judging by file size on the device, I guess 192 Kbit/s M4A or variable bitrate, but certainly not lossless. Also, you don't have any option to select a format/bitrate to transcode to. As
    far as I know this feature (if you really want to call it that) is only available on Mac.

Your only option to get lossless audio on the device seems to be WMA lossless - which for me is an absolute no-go. Apple Lossless might already be niche compared to FLAC, but WMA lossless? I've never seen one of those in the wild and I won't transcode
    my ALAC files to a format absolutely nobody cares for or supports.

However if you're willing to transcode to WMA lossless you shouldn't have any problem doing it. Just be aware of the fact that those WMA files, of course, won't be available in iTunes meaning you have to transfer them via Explorer (guessing you are using
    Windows?).

The lossless situation is terrible right now and I don't see why an apparently easy task like adding another codec to the spec list isn't happening. I understand that the demand for lossless audio comes from a small crowd, however these folks tend to be
    serious about these issues and other options are readily available: Apple has ALAC, Android plays FLAC (maybe even ALAC?). Me, I'm just sticking with Windows Phone since I otherwise like the OS and am confident that Microsoft will fill these gaps.

thirdsun, Dec 3, 2021
  4. Question: Are the file sizes on Apple Lossless 2004 songs usually if not always more...

Nokia N95-8GB, won't play Apple Lossless.

Forgot to say...

Although the N95-8GB doesn't natively support the Apple Lossless format, as it is an S60 device, there is plenty of opportunity for third parties to write software that will play the Apple Lossless format on the device. Therefore this does add to the list of
    options.

martin_eyles, Dec 3, 2021
Thema:

Question: Are the file sizes on Apple Lossless 2004 songs usually if not always more...

1. Question: Are the file sizes on Apple Lossless 2004 songs usually if not always more... - Similar Threads - Question Are file

2. file size takes more than it should

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file size takes more than it should: So basically, my C drive only has 100 GBs.Thispc>C:>users>rqisc which is my user I right click the rqisc file to see the properties. It says 28 GBsI then go INTO the file, and then select all and view properties. only 2 gbs. Whats going on?...
  3. file size takes more than it should

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file size takes more than it should: So basically, my C drive only has 100 GBs.Thispc>C:>users>rqisc which is my user I right click the rqisc file to see the properties. It says 28 GBsI then go INTO the file, and then select all and view properties. only 2 gbs. Whats going on?...
  4. file size takes more than it should

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Question: Can I still rip audio CDs to Apple Lossless format in Windows 11? Sunday,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question: Can I still rip audio CDs to Apple Lossless format in Windows 11? Sunday,...: I definitely should wait at least another 120 days before getting a Windows 11 PC as I’ll rip at least 7,630 songs from audio CDs to Apple Lossless format to save in a Norton 360 Premium II plan with 150 GB of cloud storage so far. There should be an iTunes 13 or 12.13 by...
  6. Question: Can I still rip audio CDs to Apple Lossless format in Windows 11? Sunday,...

Question: Can I still rip audio CDs to Apple Lossless format in Windows 11? Sunday,...: I definitely should wait at least another 120 days before getting a Windows 11 PC as I’ll rip at least 7,630 songs from audio CDs to Apple Lossless format to save in a Norton 360 Premium II plan with 150 GB of cloud storage so far. There should be an iTunes 13 or 12.13 by...
  7. Question: Are the file sizes on Apple Lossless 2004 songs usually if not always more...

Question: Are the file sizes on Apple Lossless 2004 songs usually if not always more...: Having just been upgraded from Norton 360 Deluxe Plus to Norton 360 Premium II at no additional charge through Norton Support live chat, I’ve decided to put my 150 GB of Norton Cloud storage to good use by moving all my audio CD rips and software files from my personal...
  8. Always Display File Sizes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Always Display File Sizes: I always use the details view when navigating through Windows folders. It displays a column dedicated to "size" but it's always empty. Is there a way to automatically display file and folder size at all times in Windows? The irony is that I currently navigate through Windows...
  9. Size of mouse pointers -- NOT the usual settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Size of mouse pointers -- NOT the usual settings: I somehow managed to change the size of my mouse pointer independently of the settings in Control Panel > Mouse > Pointers. Whatever I did let me make the pointer quite large. Now I'd like to change it back, but I've forgotten what I did. Does anybody have any idea what I'm...
  10. Apple AAC to FLAC FREE lossless conversion --

Apple AAC to FLAC FREE lossless conversion --: Hi folks If you have either a Linux system or a Windows system with BASH installed on it then the job is simply done with the following script. for f in *.m4a; do ffmpeg -i "$f" -c:a flac "${f%.m4a}.flac"; done For Ubuntu users - (physical or VM's) you might get a...