Windows 10: Question before getting Win 10

Discus and support Question before getting Win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a few questions before I get Windows 10. I did ask these questions on the Microsoft forums but I got FAQ Answers and I wasn't satisfied with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Arily, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Arily Win User

Question before getting Win 10

I have a few questions before I get Windows 10. I did ask these questions on the Microsoft forums but I got FAQ Answers and I wasn't satisfied with the information I was given. I'd like information from someone who already has upgraded to Win 10 therefore the information is more based on personal use.

1. When I bought my computer it came with a 250gb SSD and I went ahead and installed an internal 1TB HDD and named it storage. I have a bunch of stuff on there from 10+ years, pictures, movies etc. When I upgrade to Win 10 is it going to clean or re-format this drive? Do I have to be concerned about it? Not only do I use it as storage I also have a few programs installed on there as well.

2. After I upgrade to Win 10 am I going to have to reinstall any programs or software? The reason I ask is because years ago I was attempting to factory reset my computer but I did a restore or reinstall and it basically installed windows over top itself yet none of my programs worked even though the icons were still on the desktop.

3. Some people were saying this version of Windows 10 has been slowing theirs computer down because of something called bit torrent? They are saying something about holes in privacy and security and information is being passed and shared threw the internet connection in the background and it's constantly running and making the data usage numbers to sky rocket. What are they talking about? Is this true? And how to can you put a stop to this?

4. How is the bubbles screensaver in Win 10? lol

:)

Arily, Aug 5, 2015

2. Why have a lock screen that's difficult to get rid of

It's the first screen that comes up in Win 10 and you have to click to get rid of it before you can get to the sign in screen. I have found lots of people asking this question about Win 8 that also had a lock screen (no idea why they call it that) and now
    there are lots of people asking the same question about win 10.

RicCratcher, Aug 5, 2015
  3. NOrt-214 Win User
    How do I go back to my original version of Windows after 10 has ruined my computer and my time limit of one month is up? Can I use my recovery disk?

Another question, if I may. I made the recovery disks before win 10. What was the point of making them? I didn't get an OS disk with the laptop and was instructed to do so in case I needed them. Since I don't want win 10, wouldn't they return the computer
    to the condition prior to win 10 and fix my problem? Thanks!

NOrt-214, Aug 5, 2015
  4. owensdj Win User

The upgrade process should keep all of data and all compatible applications. You should still do a backup of your data in case something goes wrong with the upgrade process. You might have an application that isn't compatible with Windows 10, so you'll want to check on that. Make sure you uninstall any 3rd party anti-virus software before you do the upgrade.

Windows 10 has a new feature that speeds up getting updates by allowing it to share updates you've gotten with other users running Windows 10. You can restrict this to your local network so it will only share updates with your own computers. You can also turn off this feature completely. You can change this under Settings-->Windows Update-->Advanced Options-->Choose How Updates Are Delivered.

owensdj, Aug 5, 2015
  5. Rocky Win User
    1. It will not touch that storage drive.
    2. It depends on how you install Windows 10. If you upgrade, all of your programs will be in place.
    3.It has made my computer faster.
    4. I do not know, never head of bubbles.

Rocky, Aug 5, 2015
  6. rjkolo Win User
    1. You are fine, it won't touch any of your files (as stated above)
    2. It most instances all applications will run just fine, it will tell you when it does a check before you upgrade if anything will not function.
    3. It will seem very slow at first (I have updated 3 of my computers now, 1 with very high specs from win 8.1 pro the other 2 very low, one 7 pro, one 8.1 home on a tablet), Windows needed to update new graphic drivers on all 3...just let it do what it needs to do and then all of them were as fast if not faster than before. You will be fine...just be patient.
    4. Windows Updates in Windows 10 now function similar to a P2P (pier to pier) way of sharing. You can turn this off in the advanced settings of Windows updates.
    5. Bubbles look the same...see below

Question before getting Win 10 [​IMG]

rjkolo, Aug 5, 2015
  7. Arily Win User
    @rjkolo As for the bubbles screensaver on Win 8.1 if you preview it looks like your picture above but if you actually set it as your screensaver the bubbles actually appear over a blank colored background instead of over the desktop.
    When you set the bubbles screensaver and it activates on it's own is it over a colored background or actually over the desktop?

Arily, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Question before getting Win 10 - Similar Threads - Question before getting

2. Win 10 Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Questions: Hello all again, I'm looking for the "Registry Editor" ? Anyone know where I can find it ? Thank you. 159300
  3. Getting familiar with the Win 10 GUI before upgrading from 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Getting familiar with the Win 10 GUI before upgrading from 7: Hello all. I'm preparing for the upgrade, and would like to get familiar with the Win 10 GUI before upgrading. Can anyone recommend a place to learn the basics? Thanks. 147448
  4. Win 7 Virtualization before Win 10 upgrade

Win 7 Virtualization before Win 10 upgrade: I have a weird situation. We are accountants whose database is MS Access 2003 that runs under Win 7. To secure my clients' data we are upgrading to Win 10 for security's sake. There is a possibility that Access 2003 won't work in Win 10 even in compatibility mode (if that's...
  5. Couple question before installing windows 10

Couple question before installing windows 10: Hello i hope i post this in right section. I am planning to fresh install windows 10 on my PC and Laptop from Sandisk USB 2.0 14GB flash drive. And before i start i have couple question to ask. 1. Is 14gb usb 2.0 enough for windows 10 iso? 2. Where i can download latest...
  6. Win 10 licence question

Win 10 licence question: I own a retail copy of Win 7 Home Premium, for which I still have the DVD and licence key. I upgraded to Win 10 during the free period. I am building a new PC, and am trying to work out if I can transfer the licence for Win 10 from my old PC to the new build. I have three...
  7. Question before upgrading

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question before upgrading: On a spare hard drive I have, I Installed 7 Pro 64Bit w/SP1. How, if possible, do I upgrade to 10 w/o having to download all the Telemetry KB updates? 57376
  8. Questions before buying Windows 10 OEM

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions before buying Windows 10 OEM: Hi! I am new to this forum, so at first I would like to say "Hello" to everyone. Then I would like to ask some questions if possible: 1. In case I buy a copy of Windows 10 OEM from a local reseller, who sells a "Hungarian" version of the OS in my country (maybe just...
  9. Win 10 question

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 question: Okay, I hate Win 8 and absolutely refused to use it. To me Win 10 is hardly much better. First of all I'm not 20 years old anymore and don't give a darn about all these apps of which 98% are pointed toward kids. And where's the desktop with my programs? That's what I want to...
  10. Questions about win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions about win 10: Hello I am very old win 7 user, so after upgrade i make this steps and i wonder if i make it right I download windows 10 using the tool from Microsoft, and get ISO file, put it on USB using Microsoft USB, DVD tool and i start format my laptop and system partition...