Windows 10: Question Black screen instead of "Choose an operating system menu", then normal boot...

Discus and support Question Black screen instead of "Choose an operating system menu", then normal boot... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I had Windows 10 installed on one partition, and then installed Windows 10 on another partition. The first time I restarted the laptop after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Jealous-Candle, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Question Black screen instead of "Choose an operating system menu", then normal boot...

Hello,

I had Windows 10 installed on one partition, and then installed Windows 10 on another partition. The first time I restarted the laptop after the installation finished, I got the "Choose an operating system" (you know, the blue menu with white font) menu (with the two installations) and the 30 seconds time before the auto choose. But then, after the new Windows 10 started, and after the drivers were automatically installed and everything else set up, I restarted the laptop again, and this time there was no "Choose an operating system"" menu - instead there was black screen (with display backlight turned on of course) for some time (probably the 30 seconds) and then the laptop booted into the newly installed Windows 10 (it is set as default now). I tried restarting the laptop several times to confirm that this is the issue. I tried pressing the F12 button at boot, which brings another Windows menu (also blue) from which you can choose the option for the "Choose an operating system" menu. I chose that option, and the "Choose an operating system" menu came up and I could choose between the two installations (the older installation is set as second - non-default choice).

So, I'm very happy that something worse didn't happen, but how can I fix the black screen during the automatic (at laptop turn on) "Choose an operating system" menu. Without breaking something else meanwhile.

Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/Jealous-Candle
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Jealous-Candle, Feb 14, 2021

2. After “Choose an Operating System” goes Black Screen (Windows 10)

None of that worked for me. I only get "Choosing an operating system" from Windows 10 Home and then puts the screen between black and white. I can not use anything. Will I have to change the hard drive completely?

JosephHupkins, Feb 14, 2021
  3. Jan Del Win User
    After “Choose an Operating System” goes Black Screen (Windows 10)

Hi Joseph,

Black screen usually occurs in a numerous scenario from an issue with the graphics driver to installation of the operating system or update. We suggest following the troubleshooting steps on this
    article to resolve your black screen error.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Jan Del, Feb 14, 2021
  4. Question Black screen instead of "Choose an operating system menu", then normal boot...

Boot Menu

Hi Harieo,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Refer the thread below and check if it helps.

How to restore missing dual boot menu in latest Windows 10 build

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• While at boot on the Choose an operating system screen, click/tap on
      Change defaults or choose other options at the bottom.
    • Click/tap on Choose other options.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Feb 14, 2021
Thema:

Question Black screen instead of "Choose an operating system menu", then normal boot...

1. Question Black screen instead of "Choose an operating system menu", then normal boot... - Similar Threads - Question Black screen

2. Black screen and operating system not booted on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen and operating system not booted on startup: This morning I tried to turn on my laptop but when i pressed the power button it would turn on the keyboard backlight and other such lights but the screen is black and a graphics driver restart does not make any sound which leads me to believe the operating system is not even...
  3. Black screen and operating system not booted on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen and operating system not booted on startup: This morning I tried to turn on my laptop but when i pressed the power button it would turn on the keyboard backlight and other such lights but the screen is black and a graphics driver restart does not make any sound which leads me to believe the operating system is not even...
  4. Black screen and operating system not booted on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How To Change Boot Menu Color Under "Choose An Operating System"?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How To Change Boot Menu Color Under "Choose An Operating System"?: I'm adding this YouTube posted guide here as a possible solution, because I've seen answers to my similar posted question in the header that assume the question was about the "Start Menu" color that are now "locked"; but this is about the pre-startup OS option menu color that...
  6. How To Change Boot Menu Color Under "Choose An Operating System"?

How To Change Boot Menu Color Under "Choose An Operating System"?: I'm adding this YouTube posted guide here as a possible solution, because I've seen answers to my similar posted question in the header that assume the question was about the "Start Menu" color that are now "locked"; but this is about the pre-startup OS option menu color that...
  7. How To Change Boot Menu Color Under "Choose An Operating System"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How To Change Boot Menu Color Under "Choose An Operating System"?: I'm adding this YouTube posted guide here as possible solution, because I've seen answers to my similar posted question in the header that assume the question was about the "Start Menu" color that are now "locked"; but this is about the pre-startup OS option menu color that...
  8. How To Change Boot Menu Color Under "Choose An Operating System"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How To Change Boot Menu Color Under "Choose An Operating System"?: I'm adding this YouTube posted guide here as possible solution, because I've seen answers to my similar posted question in the header that assume the question was about the "Start Menu" color that are now "locked"; but this is about the pre-startup OS option menu color that...
  9. Black screen instead of "Choose an operating system menu", then normal boot probably after...

Black screen instead of "Choose an operating system menu", then normal boot probably after...: Hello, I had Windows 10 installed on one partition, and then installed Windows 10 on another partition. The first time I restarted the laptop after the installation finished, I got the "Choose an operating system" you know, the blue menu with white font menu with the two...
  10. Question Black screen instead of "Choose an operating system menu", then normal boot...

Question Black screen instead of "Choose an operating system menu", then normal boot...: Hello, I had Windows 10 installed on one partition, and then installed Windows 10 on another partition. The first time I restarted the laptop after the installation finished, I got the "Choose an operating system" you know, the blue menu with white font menu with the two...