Windows 10: Question: How can I import .REG files to a non-booting Windows?

Discus and support Question: How can I import .REG files to a non-booting Windows? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey everyone, Today I used a registry cleaner to fix my slow system, but instead of repairing it it made my PC stuck in user login bootloop, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by addas, Jan 14, 2016.

1. addas Win User

Question: How can I import .REG files to a non-booting Windows?

Hey everyone,
    Today I used a registry cleaner to fix my slow system, but instead of repairing it it made my PC stuck in user login bootloop, but thankfully they backed up the registry and I have it. So the question is, how can I import the registry in this non-booting PC?

Note: I tried running RegEdit from CMD from Repair DVD, but "load hives" is greyed out!

Thanks in advance *Smile

Regards,

:)

addas, Jan 14, 2016
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Windows 10 regedit cannot import a reg file

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

Did you save the reg file on the same computer?

have you saved the registry file as ".reg"?
    Is the issue specific to this particular reg file?

Are you trying to import a reg file from another computer?

Please answer to these question to assist you better.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Jan 14, 2016
  3. How to recover files from a non-booting phone

pls how can i on or start up my phone whiles is fully charged and cannot on any more

pls what should i do now to on it , because i cant access my files .

***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***

<Original subject: help>

RichardObeng, Jan 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, did you have system restore enabled? If so, a simpler approach is to boot your PC from an installation medium, and navigate through Troubleshooting, Advanced to System Restore.

Otherwise, it is possible to copy the hives from backup manually, and I have seen this documented in this forum.

Lesson:
    a. Avoid registry cleaners
    b. Use disk imaging to preserve your system and your sanity. (Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper (free) + their boot disk + external storage medium for the backups.
    c. Turn on System Restore (if not already done).

dalchina, Jan 14, 2016
  5. Almighty1 Win User
    Take the hard drive to a working Windows system. Load the registry hive from the HD and then edit there and then unload the registry hive.

Almighty1, Jan 15, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    You need to selecy HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (or HKEY_USERS) before "load hives" is available.

It will be greyed out if you just open regedit and have Computer highlighted.

You might have luck trying the last known good configuration but I have to say it never worked for me.

7. Almighty1 Win User
    Almighty1, Jan 15, 2016
  8. topgundcp Win User

The Windows 10 backup copy of the registry is under:
    C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack
    Boot up the PC using WinPE or Installation Disk into command prompt and copy all files under RegBack to C:\Windows\System32\config

Question: How can I import .REG files to a non-booting Windows? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jan 15, 2016
  9. addas Win User
    Thank you all guys for your help! The problem was fixed by topgundcp method!

dalchina Windows Restore always fail, probably because of the registry corruption, and yes you're right I will never ever use Registry Cleaners! Thanks!
    Almighty1Thank you so much man!
    lx07Man thanks so much for this tip! It may come handy next time!
    topgundcpThannnnnnks so much, you're awesome! and I used WinPE as you advised!

+1 for everybody and this amazing community!

Regards,

addas, Jan 15, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Glad you got it sorted out.

dalchina, Jan 15, 2016
  11. Almighty1 Win User
    Glad it all worked out for you and you're always welcome!

Almighty1, Jan 18, 2016
  12. Exploro Win User
    Thanks to all the folks who participate here, and in particular to topgundcp who saved me HOURS of work with the simple fix and some rebooting and clicking that was not possible before that! Blessings to your and yours topgundcp!!!

Exploro, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Question: How can I import .REG files to a non-booting Windows? - Similar Threads - Question import REG

2. How to create a .reg file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create a .reg file?: I wanted to know how to create a .reg file in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-reg-file/2b6be1e5-3228-47ad-ba44-758e0a97dfc9
  3. How to create a .reg file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create a .reg file?: I wanted to know how to create a .reg file in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-reg-file/2b6be1e5-3228-47ad-ba44-758e0a97dfc9
  4. How to create a .reg file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Important question?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Important question?: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,When we screen record in 24 or 30 fps, the mouse movement is not smooth. When we record in 60 fps, the mouse movement is smooth as actual. But when we see experts or big YouTubers. They upload it on 23.968 fps or 30 fps but mouse movement was smooth...
  6. REG Import

in Windows 10 Support
    REG Import: Good afternoon, I am putting a Batch file together that involves exporting and importing the Registry. However, I have a question. I am only posting the relevant parts of the code instead of the whole code. To export the Registry I am using . . . Code: for %%a in (HKLM HKCU...
  7. Question about fixing a .reg file.

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about fixing a .reg file.: First and foremost thanks to Brink for the .reg files that i use. I am using the power menu cascade .reg file that puts a power menu on the right click menu of the desktop. I seen that there is also one for the UEFI settings on the same right click menu. What i wanted to do...
  8. Import reg file in a batch file

in Windows 10 Support
    Import reg file in a batch file: Hi, i've a reg file to mod windows 10 that works properly, but if i import it in a batch file it doesn't work. this is the reg file i've called Windows10.reg Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00...
  9. Cannot import .reg. Error opening the file.

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot import .reg. Error opening the file.: ...There may be a disk or file system error. Happens when double-clicking reg-file on the NAS-share, which is mapped as a network drive. User is a user with admin rights (membership of Administrators group), and it is the first and only user that was created while W10 was...
  10. A REGISTRY mystery - reg file doesn't import properly

in Windows 10 Support
    A REGISTRY mystery - reg file doesn't import properly: I have imported hundreds of reg files into every windows build since 95, now I run into another W10 mystery. I have a complete export of the key REPETIER. When I import it some REG_SZ entries do not import. This is an unmodified export of a sub-key under Repetier. reg...