Windows 10: Question on adding a "local account" to my wife's laptop.

Discus and support Question on adding a "local account" to my wife's laptop. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My wife uses a Dell laptop with Windows 10 Home on it. She does not sign into any Microsoft account when using the laptop, I believe her account is... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Blackink, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Blackink Win User

Question on adding a "local account" to my wife's laptop.

My wife uses a Dell laptop with Windows 10 Home on it. She does not sign into any Microsoft account when using the laptop, I believe her account is called a Local Account. I would like to create my own Local Account as an administrator so I can install my own software on the laptop for my own personal use and browse the Web.

I think I can sign up as a "Local Account" but I have one concern. As I read through the instructions on how to add a Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10, I see this statement:
    In Windows 10, you can also allow people (other users) who are not part of your family to sign in to the PC with their own accounts by adding them as a local account (aka: offline account) or Microsoft account. This won't add them to your family. Other users can be either a standard user or administrator.

Does the offline account mean I can't access the internet?

Thanks,
    Steve

:)

Blackink, Jun 11, 2019

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Jun 11, 2019
  3. Switch laptop sign in from MS account to Local Account questions

Hi, Ive just switched from signing in to my laptop with a Microsoft Account to signing in with a Local Account instead. My laptop was always listed as a Device on the opening screen along with a map showing its location when I looked in my Microsoft Account. Under Devices I could also view my laptop along with other bits of various information about the device and its location was always shown on a map there too. After signing into my laptop with my Local Account ..If I sign in separately to my Microsoft Account afterwards Ive just noticed that having switched to a Local Account my laptop isnt shown on the opening Microsoft Account screen anymore and its not listed in devices either. Is this normal behaviour? I was expecting to still find my laptop listed in Devices. Also...Under Update and Security/Activation..it used to say Digital Licence linked to a Microsoft Account. Now it just says Windows is Activated with a digital licence. Is all this normal behaviour if you sign into a laptop with a Local Account instead of a Microsoft Account?

sportsfan148, Jun 11, 2019
  4. Question on adding a "local account" to my wife's laptop.

Local vs Network user accounts

I just did a VM install, just to verify that I don't speak total crap.

Steps I took:

1. Installed Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 15063.0
    2. Entered the License Key
    3. Created a local account
    4. Went to accounts and added my Microsoft account
    5. Let Windows use this account for all apps
    6. Checked status on Microsoft account web page.
    7. Verified that the VM shows up there
    8. deleted my VM locally
    9. created a new VM installation without entering the License Key (on same VM but totally new Virtual disk)
    10. re-did steps 3-7
    11. verified that my VM is activated.

And indeed it is activated and I login to my VM using local account which is linked to my MS account. Question on adding a "local account" to my wife's laptop. :)

Should I create a Video of this or do you trust my word on it? Or better yet test it yourself if you have a valid license key you can waste on a VM.

slicendice, Jun 11, 2019
Thema:

Question on adding a "local account" to my wife's laptop.

1. Question on adding a "local account" to my wife's laptop. - Similar Threads - Question adding local

2. Windows and local account question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows and local account question: Hello I'm going to need to switch my harddrive out soon and read that if i used the activation feature and linked my digital license to a Microsoft account I would be able to add windows to my new HD after I change it. The problem I'm having is that when I login my...
  3. Change Microsoft account on my wife's laptop.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Change Microsoft account on my wife's laptop.: My wife started a new job and received a brand new laptop from her employer. When setting up the laptop she used the Microsoft account information we already use on our personal computer. Can we remove our personal Microsoft account from the laptop and use a new account?...
  4. Local Account question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Local Account question: Hi, I am in the process of upgrading from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. And once it is upgraded, I want to get a local account, not a MS account. In reading the steps involved in this process, it says that you will come to a window where you are asked to verify your current...
  5. New SSD for wife's laptop question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New SSD for wife's laptop question: Trying to speed up wife's laptop. All set to buy internal SSD. Is it as simple as connecting the SSD to the laptop with a USB to SATA adapter, and them asking Macrium to do an image to the SSD ? Then swap out the old spinner. 144337
  6. My Local account is showing account details for my wife's Microsoft Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My Local account is showing account details for my wife's Microsoft Account: When I try to access my Local Account, I am unable to switch to my own Microsoft Account - message saying that another user on this device is already using this account. In addition, in the section where I should list my 'Accounts used by other apps', I have my Wife's...
  7. My wife is on my account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    My wife is on my account: Microsoft want allow my wife to use Office 365 on our computer. It seems to have as needing an account in her name???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wife-is-on-my-account/e5b78438-b155-4545-80b6-347833b83c4e"
  8. Open an account for my wife

Open an account for my wife: I have tried to find a way to open an extra account for my wife but all links just open my existing account and the only link on there is to add any existing accounts I might have...
  9. Question after switching back to Local Account Sign in on my laptop

Question after switching back to Local Account Sign in on my laptop: Hi all, Today Ive just switched my Microsoft Account Sign-in method on my laptop over to Local Account sign in instead. I realise that my Microsoft Account will now be unlinked from my laptop so the benefit I had when signing in with a Microsoft Account of having the ability...
  10. Local account installation question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Local account installation question: Hey all, just wondering what to look for when I get around to installing 10 after the release as to local account setup. It was tricky with 8/8.1 so want to avoid any problems. Skipping step(s), small worded info on lower part of screen, etc. I did a search here and looks...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to add my wife to an windows 19 account