Windows 10: Question on an internal HDD as an external enclosed HDD to her PC

Discus and support Question on an internal HDD as an external enclosed HDD to her PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My daughter wants to use a new unused internal 1TB HDD as an external 1TB for storage purposes. She purchased the cable and portable enclosure to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fdm2000, Feb 2, 2020.

1. fdm2000 Win User

Question on an internal HDD as an external enclosed HDD to her PC

My daughter wants to use a new unused internal 1TB HDD as an external 1TB for storage purposes. She purchased the cable and portable enclosure to connect to her PC. The instructions are confusing. Apparently it needs to be initialized and formatted.
    Can some knowledgeable member advise how to accomplish the initialization and formatting and advise whether she should initialize with MBR or Style GPT? She has a new Dell PC running Windows 10 OS with a 256 GB internal SSD.

Mary

:)

fdm2000, Feb 2, 2020

2. External HDD or Internal HDD?

I'm contemplating whether or not if I should purchase a external hard drive for saving all of my work, music, photo's backup etc, instead of saving it on my pc hd. Now the problem is external hdd vs internal hdd's longevity, hardware differences, file corruption typically on external hdd's or flash drives. Is it a mistake saving personal stuff separate from the pc or are ex hdd as good as internal? I've had experiences loosing my stuff because of viruses, hdd failure and lack of prior experience not partitioning my hdd *Smile Question on an internal HDD as an external enclosed HDD to her PC :)

omiknight52, Feb 2, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Feb 2, 2020
  4. Johankaan Win User

unlock hdd

Johankaan, Feb 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Question on an internal HDD as an external enclosed HDD to her PC - Similar Threads - Question internal HDD

2. Problems with internal HDD move out to become External HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problems with internal HDD move out to become External HDD: Goodmorning, I had 3 drives on my pc (1 ssd-m2, 1 hdd, 1ssd) and because i need to switch data from one pc to another i bought a docking station. Right now i put my internal HDD and SSD (2/3) in it and if i tried to boot windows without the docking station on, i receive this...
  3. Problems with internal HDD move out to become External HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with internal HDD move out to become External HDD: Goodmorning, I had 3 drives on my pc (1 ssd-m2, 1 hdd, 1ssd) and because i need to switch data from one pc to another i bought a docking station. Right now i put my internal HDD and SSD (2/3) in it and if i tried to boot windows without the docking station on, i receive this...
  4. External HDD Questions

External HDD Questions: I am using a HP 860-050na, 16gb ram, 8GB AMD RX Vega GPU. Latest Windows 10 Updates (ver 2004). All drivers are up to date. Hey all, I have a few questions regarding external hdd usage. I have 4 8TB Seagate backup plus external drives (also 1 internal ssd and 1 internal 4TB...
  5. Cannot copy files to external HDD or internal spare HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot copy files to external HDD or internal spare HDD: Hello Everyone, I cannot copy files to any external HDD. I have also added a spare internal HDD to my HP pavilion 15 gaming laptop for extra storage and cannot copy files to this either. I have tried two external HDDs and they are two different brands so I am assuming this...
  6. External HDD question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD question: I have a wd external sdd when i downloaded games from the windows store will it be able to be able to play on a second device also do i have to run runescape in a different version of windows because both pcs cant run in normal mode just auto normal mode also how do i update...
  7. New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally

in Windows 10 Support
    New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally: New 1TB Seagate that I've formatted NTFS and used for a month to test a clone. Three partitions, the middle unused, the last has some BU data. When I go into W10 Disk Management it can recognize the disk but says it's not initialized. Obviously why it won't format it via MBR...
  8. Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, I have an external HDD of 465 GB and I have 360 GB of space. Please tell me how I can quickly copy files to my internal HDD, how to download speed (move), or if you know any program for this or changes to Quick Move Registry. I mention that I tried...
  9. Run computer on external HDD to RAID two internal HDD

Run computer on external HDD to RAID two internal HDD: Hey guys, I'm new to ten forums but I've been on seven forums for a while but upgraded. Here is my issue I want to mirror one of my internal HDDs to my external HDD. Then I want to run my computer off of the external HDD so I can RAID my only two internal HDDs. Then...
  10. Internal HDD

Internal HDD: Hi All.I have a Zoostorm desktop had it at the end of last year. It has a SSD & a Second hdd ''spinner''.All is working well the only issue is when I want to open a document there is a slight delay in the opening of it as all documents pictures etc are all stored on the...