Windows 10: Question on backups

Discus and support Question on backups in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am currently backing up data from my computer via Win7 Backup and Restore and I can see that my backup drive is beginning to get a little clogged up.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/gibbyboi321, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Question on backups

I am currently backing up data from my computer via Win7 Backup and Restore and I can see that my backup drive is beginning to get a little clogged up. Is there a way or a tool to compare two existing backup files and delete duplicate info to save space on the backup drive?

submitted by /u/gibbyboi321
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/gibbyboi321, Jun 6, 2022

2. Backup skipped

Hi Ken,

For us to better isolate your concern, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are your backing up files or creating a system image?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest deleting the backup you created and create a new one. Click this
    article
    and follow the steps on how to create a backup.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Martin Bar, Jun 6, 2022
  3. Bokenzhe Win User
    Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Question on backups [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Jun 6, 2022
  4. JOSHSKORN Win User

Question on backups

How do I backup to my Internal HDD?

If that isn't one of the best, most conscise tutorials I'd ever seen, I'm not sure what is. Thank you!Questions, though:

1. After Step 9, does the Make Rescue Media screen appear or do I need to wait until my backup is done before I see these steps?
    2. Regarding Step #2 on the Make Rescue Media, can I just use an ISO instead and store it either on my NAS or even my same data drive?

JOSHSKORN, Jun 6, 2022
Thema:

Question on backups

1. Question on backups - Similar Threads - Question backups

2. Symbolic link question for itunes backup. Symbolic link seems to have been overwritten....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Symbolic link question for itunes backup. Symbolic link seems to have been overwritten....: So, I created a symbolic link a while back to force itunes to backup data from an iPhone to a secondary internal hard drive. I understand this is a Windows forum, but perhaps somebody can help.I initially was able to save the backups through windows 10 to the secondary hard...
  3. Symbolic link question for itunes backup. Symbolic link seems to have been overwritten....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Symbolic link question for itunes backup. Symbolic link seems to have been overwritten....: So, I created a symbolic link a while back to force itunes to backup data from an iPhone to a secondary internal hard drive. I understand this is a Windows forum, but perhaps somebody can help.I initially was able to save the backups through windows 10 to the secondary hard...
  4. Symbolic link question for itunes backup. Symbolic link seems to have been overwritten....

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Questions about user info backup or user profile merging

in Windows 10 Customization
    Questions about user info backup or user profile merging: Hi, I'm having some problems with administrative privileges for a while with my user and today I discovered that my courent user was not the default administartor one and that profile was deactivated. I have reacativated it and all the problems I had were not present...
  6. Windows Backup app questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Backup app questions: Hello everyone!With the recent Windows 10 update I believe “Windows 10 22H2 KB5030211”, Microsoft added a new app which automatically installed on my PC, called Windows Backup. Personally, I am against Microsoft installing new software without my knowledge, and I have two...
  7. Windows Backup app questions

Windows Backup app questions: Hello everyone!With the recent Windows 10 update I believe “Windows 10 22H2 KB5030211”, Microsoft added a new app which automatically installed on my PC, called Windows Backup. Personally, I am against Microsoft installing new software without my knowledge, and I have two...
  8. Windows Backup app questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Dumb backup question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dumb backup question: I set up this backup see below a few years ago when I got my Windows 10 PC. I’m Backing these folders to an external drive weekly.Now, because of my aging memory, I’m wondering why I set it up that way.Isn’t the various C:\ folders redundant ?I mainly wanted to back up my...
  10. Dumb backup question

Dumb backup question: I set up this backup see below a few years ago when I got my Windows 10 PC. I’m Backing these folders to an external drive weekly.Now, because of my aging memory, I’m wondering why I set it up that way.Isn’t the various C:\ folders redundant ?I mainly wanted to back up my...