Windows 10: Question on BitLocker - Key change after performing System Image backup

Discus and support Question on BitLocker - Key change after performing System Image backup in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. I want to use BitLocker on my drive and then image it using the built-in software in Windows 10. Let's say that for any reason I will need to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by LaurFlorin, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Question on BitLocker - Key change after performing System Image backup

Hi.

I want to use BitLocker on my drive and then image it using the built-in software in Windows 10.

Let's say that for any reason I will need to change my BitLocker password afterwards. If I restore Windows

10 later from the image, which BitLocker key / recovery key do I need to use? The original one before the

backup or the most recent one?

My intuition goes for the latest password or recovery key because that is the latest key to encrypt the HDD/SSD

with, but I am not sure if the image restore process restores only the decrypted data or the fully encrypted data

with the old key.

Thank you!

:)

LaurFlorin, Jan 10, 2021
  2. Xylee Del Win User
    Xylee Del, Jan 10, 2021
  3. I can't perform a system image backup in Windows10

I tried everything you suggested but still cannot perform the system image backup.

Ianmrothwell, Jan 10, 2021
  4. Bokenzhe Win User

Question on BitLocker - Key change after performing System Image backup

Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Question on BitLocker - Key change after performing System Image backup [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

Question on BitLocker - Key change after performing System Image backup

1. Question on BitLocker - Key change after performing System Image backup - Similar Threads - Question BitLocker Key

2. PC slow performance after Restoring from "System Image" backup..Help!!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC slow performance after Restoring from "System Image" backup..Help!!: Hello, I recently restored from a earlier full system image backup and since then the pc is acting somewhat slowly, right click on a folder takes longer time right click on hard disk in "My computer" takes long time clicking on nvidia control panel takes very long time...
  3. PC slow performance after Restoring from "System Image" backup..Help!!

in Windows 10 Support
    PC slow performance after Restoring from "System Image" backup..Help!!: Hello, I recently restored from a earlier full system image backup and since then the pc is acting somewhat slowly, right click on a folder takes longer time right click on hard disk in "My computer" takes long time clicking on nvidia control panel takes very long time...
  4. Question about Image Backups.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Image Backups.: I backed up my GPT windows system drive to a MBR hard drive through the windows built in tool. I have to revert to this backup and it keeps failing. Would converting the MBR drive to GPT make the system image restore work? If not what should I do? I have already ran DSKCHK on...
  5. Restoring System Image Backup after RAM/SSD changes?

Restoring System Image Backup after RAM/SSD changes?: Sorry if this is a dumb question. Would RAM/SSD changes made after creating the backup (in my case, 8GB-> 2x8GB, added a second SSD) cause issues when restoring from a system image backup? submitted by /u/user531800869420 [link] [comments]...
  6. System image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System image backup: I have a windows 10 pro PC and I recently replaced my main 2TB HD with a 3TB using GPT and cloned my drive with no problem, I also installed a 3TB drive and formatted it using GPT as a way of doing a system image, which I had previously gone to a 2TB HD. Since this change...
  7. system image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    system image backup: Trying to back up my hard drive as a "system image". I see the option in the videos, but when I click on Settings, Backup, the "system image" option is not there. It just says "save these files" and lists a bunch of data files. How to create a system image? The Microsoft...
  8. System image backup question

System image backup question: Hello, I bought an external 1TB drive, to make a system image backup (which is in progress as we speak). The backup should be somewhat around 350 GB. Can I use the remaining space for my purposes, or will that be a problem when I eventually will have to restore the backup?...
  9. bitlocker performance penalty question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    bitlocker performance penalty question: I'm thinking about using bitlocker on my PC but I'm worried about an impact on performance. I'm using a Samsung Book2 which has a Snapdragon 850 processor, not Intel, 4gB of RAM and runs Windows 10S, yes the "S" version. Not sure if I'll see a significant decrease in...
  10. Backup/Image question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup/Image question: Hello, For a new laptop with NVMe 256GB and an internal HDD 2TB, was wondering what the best way is to make a backup of OS partitions so that if needed, just copy over the partitions and be done with it. I have moved Users folder to another partition so I currently have:...