Windows 10: Question on creating installation media using an OEM version of Windows 7 later upgraded to 10

Discus and support Question on creating installation media using an OEM version of Windows 7 later upgraded to 10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; To make a long story short, I'm thinking about creating an installation flash drive to install Windows on a new PC because I've read a lot of complaint... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Rimbaldo, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Question on creating installation media using an OEM version of Windows 7 later upgraded to 10

To make a long story short, I'm thinking about creating an installation flash drive to install Windows on a new PC because I've read a lot of complaint about retail drives shipping with very old versions of the OS and I don't have fast internet. The problem is that I'm using a free Windows 10 upgrade that I got for an OEM version of Windows 7 - as far as I know, my Windows 10 copy is OEM as well. I have created an install drive before that I used to format a new SSD, and I do not recall ever being prompted to enter a license key as I was surprised everything was seemingly handled automatically.

My concern now is that any installation media created from an OEM version of Windows 10 will automatically attempt to use the original license key, which will be a problem if I attempt to install Windows on a new PC as that OEM key is tied to the motherboard in this one and will not work with any other computer. Can anyone clarify how this works? The installation media creation tool claims it requires a Windows key to function, and I don't know of a way to acquire a generic Windows 10 install ISO without using non-Windows computer to do it. The website just redirects me to the tool when it detects a Windows install.

Am I overthinking this or will it be fine? I don't want to set up a new computer, attempt to install Windows with a drive created from this one, be told the key is invalid with no way of entering a new one or booting into said computer, then being stuck without the new PC working for X number of days until I can get a retail copy shipped to me. If that's the case I'd rather just take my chances with getting an old copy from my retail box and having to download 3 years' worth of updates.

submitted by /u/Rimbaldo
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Rimbaldo, Oct 8, 2020

2. Question On OEM Windows clean install......

"Flavors" of Windows licenses

Windows can be a little "odd" about license keys. There are at least 4 categories:
    • Retail
    • OEM
    • Volume (electronic download)
    • Corporate (no key needed)
    For guaranteed success, the license key and media should be in the same category. If you have retail media, you may not be able to install it using an OEM or Volume license key, even though the key is valid for that version of Windows. *Wtf :wtf: Apparently, this is part of Microsoft's anti-piracy scheme (i.e., all customers are guilty until proven innocent).

Static~Charge, Oct 8, 2020
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Oct 8, 2020
  4. Question on creating installation media using an OEM version of Windows 7 later upgraded to 10

Windows 10 Upgrade Questions and Concerns

I have a dell laptop that is running Windows 7 Pro and looking into upgrading it to Windows 7 but have a few questions for the method that I am looking into upgrading it.

So I want to install a fresh version of Windows 10 on to it using a download from MSDN and have the following questions:

• DELL OEM Laptop License Windows 7 Pro
      • Can I use the Windows 7 OEM license to activate Windows 10 using a fresh image install?
    • Upgrade Roll Back
      • Is it possible to reinstall Windows 7 fresh and use the OEM license later after installing Windows 10?
    • Specific Windows 10
      • For the fresh install Windows 10 image it would obviously require the corresponding Windows 10 Pro image correct?
    • Windows 10 free upgrade end date
      • What is the Windows 10 free upgrade end date for someone in my situation of fresh Windows 10 install using Windows 7 OEM license?
    • Is there anything else I need to consider for upgrading to Windows 10 fresh using a Windows 10 image and not through the free upgrade windows update?

QuestionSeekerMS, Oct 8, 2020
Thema:

Question on creating installation media using an OEM version of Windows 7 later upgraded to 10

1. Question on creating installation media using an OEM version of Windows 7 later upgraded to 10 - Similar Threads - Question creating installation

2. I have a question about Create Windows 10 installation media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a question about Create Windows 10 installation media: HelloI have a Dell laptop running Windows 10, and a external hard drive E: I also have a older Dell laptop that I am trying to reinstall Windows on. It has it's own product key.I went to the Microsoft.com Windows 10 download page, and clicked on the“Create Windows 10...
  3. Upgrading from Windows 7 OEM to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from Windows 7 OEM to 10: So I originally had a Windows 7 OEM, but the motherboard it was tied to short circuited and had to be replaced, so now it’s technically not genuine cause of being on a different motherboard. I was gonna upgrade my pc, including the motherboard and was wondering if I could...
  4. Installation Media not creating Pro version media

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installation Media not creating Pro version media: Hello, - I currently have Windows 10 Pro. - I created Installation media from here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 - I selected 'same config as this PC', when creating the media. The dropdown selection did not have Win 10 Pro - Upon...
  5. Question regarding the Windows 10 OEM version

in Windows 10 Support
    Question regarding the Windows 10 OEM version: Few months ago I bought an OEM version of Windows 10 Pro for roughly around 1$ off eBay Everything's fine with it and the key is working, but soon I'm planning to upgrade some parts of my system and probably do a new installation of Windows using Media Creation Tool I want...
  6. Is it possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Win 10 for Free if Windows 7 version is OEM or is a...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Win 10 for Free if Windows 7 version is OEM or is a...: I may just do a full fresh Win 10 install instead of upgrading from 7 since the online upgrade has repeatedly failed. I have noticed though that many people have posted that Product ID 00359-OEM-8992687-00249 the ID on his computer is an unauthorized version of Windows...
  7. Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 using an OEM DVD

Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 using an OEM DVD: I have Windows 7 Home currently on a PC. I want to upgrade to Windows 10 as an upgrade rather than a fresh install. Can I do this using a Windrows 10 Home OEM DVD purchased from a local authorized retailer? I also have Windows 7 Pro on another pc. Can I do the same using...
  8. Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 using OEM version. Possible?

Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 using OEM version. Possible?: I have four computers running Windows 7 that have to be upgraded to Windows 10. I have purchased the Win 10 System Builder OEM packages and downloaded version 1903 from MS. My question is am I able to upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7 with this version and keep all of my apps...
  9. Using an OEM version and want to upgrade to a retail version

Using an OEM version and want to upgrade to a retail version: There's a good chance that my computer will need major new parts and I'm afraid that it will not activate when fixes. I would like to use the operation system that I already configured to my liking. Can I buy a retail version of Windows 10 and just use that new key to...
  10. Is 7 pro OEM version eligible for upgrade to Windows 10?

Is 7 pro OEM version eligible for upgrade to Windows 10?: I purchased a Windows seven OEM cd from Amazon to upgrade from vista. I'm now wanting to upgrade to ten and the installation using a usb stick gets to the screen where it asks for a product key. The OEM disk doesn't have one. the install apparently will not proceed. Is...