Windows 10: Question on disk space avail RAID 0

Discus and support Question on disk space avail RAID 0 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am confused, hope you can help - I have 2 2TB disk drives configured as RAID 0. This is confirmed in Intel RST. RST says 3815 GB total size, roughly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by awalt, May 5, 2016.

1. awalt Win User

Question on disk space avail RAID 0

I am confused, hope you can help - I have 2 2TB disk drives configured as RAID 0. This is confirmed in Intel RST. RST says 3815 GB total size, roughly 4 TB available, which is what I would expect as RAID 0 supposedly makes available the sum of the drives in the array as its size.

But File Explorer in Windows 10 Pro confuses me - it basically says 2 TB is the size. I might assume it is just wrong, but the "used" space is around 1/2 TB, which is what I believe the actual size used really is.

I have 3 questions:

1) Is this just an error in File Explorer on the space reported?
    2) How much space do I have left? File Explorer says 1.5 TB, I would hope it is 3.5 TB.
    3) Is there a utility or way I can get an accurate report of space truly used, free and total if File Explorer is unable to handle RAID 0 arrays?

thanks!

:)

awalt, May 5, 2016

2. RAID error, foreign disk

Hello there,

Been searching for information, found some but looking for a bid more. So here is the case:

RAID 0 data partion, software raid under windows 10, dont ask why raid 0.

Was trying to configure automated sleep and wakeup times and during this configuration the RAID 0 crashed. I thought disk failure Bye Bye data. Changed the SATA and power cable on one drive an poof it was back online, only in foreign disk mode under disk
    manager.

So the original 2 disks from the raid 0 are still running, 1 is shown in the PC as active (other partitions can be reached on the computer) and the other is a foreign disk. The striped volume states FAILURE and the original disk, which is now foreign, is
    still shown as missing. I tried using every SATA port on the MOBO but that didnt help. So my question now is what is my best option:

Option 1: Import foreign disk on the machine where the RAID 0 setup was running.

Option 2: Deactive the " live" disk on the running system and attach the 2 disks of the raid on another system and import the RAID setup at the same time.

I hope this was clear enough, since I live in Europe I will go to sleep now but will check in the moring!

Hope you guys can help and no, i do not have a back up, and yes i know foolish.....

Regards,

Cupcakesense, May 5, 2016
  3. How to Run Chkdsk /f on a storage space that's read-only?

I will try to get some Hard disks out of the storage space to back-up my data. I will let you know how that goes Question on disk space avail RAID 0 ;)

Assuming it will work would stablebit drivepool combined with snapraid be a viable alternative to windows Storage Spaces? (Disks are different sizes, so a RAID 5 or RAID 6 seems out of the question.

IngmarVerelst, May 5, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

Haven't messed with "fake RAID" in years.

Are the disks GPT? Windows requires that to use > 2GB in a single disk; I suppose the same would be true for a RAID array of 4GB.

bobkn, May 5, 2016
  5. awalt Win User
    Thanks bob, they are MBR disks. So refreshing my memory, that means Windows only can handle/see 2 TB of the 4 TB array?

See attached picture of drive - seems to affirm Windows is ignoring a bunch of the disk, right?

So if I reformat in MBR, or if I used 2 1 TB disks, I would get the sum of the storage in RAID 0?

Thank you for your help, it has been very useful!

Question on disk space avail RAID 0 [​IMG]

awalt, May 5, 2016
  6. If I am understanding correctly, you would need the drive to be GPT in order to be able to use the entire volume as a single, solid C drive.

There may be a way to convert it to GPT, but they may put your existing data at risk. Someone else would have to answer that.

DeaconFrost, May 5, 2016
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Paragon's Hard Disk Manager will convert MBR to GPT, but even they warn users to back up the MBR stuff before making the conversion. That said, if you're going to back it up anyway, why bother with converting. Make a backup, reformat the disks and set up your GPT-based RAID 0 array, then restore the backup thereupon. If this is a boot or system drive, however, I would urge you to reinstall the OS after reformatting with GPT. I've tried converting such a drive to GPT before (on a pair of Samsung 850 EVO SSDs) and was not able to get the system to boot after making the conversion, not even after attempting to repair the boot environment using a repair disk to rebuild same.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 5, 2016
  8. awalt Win User

To update everyone on the conclusion, I successfully converted the RAID0 array to GPT! These were the steps I did:

1. Backed up image of the drive (it was my bootable C: drive) with Macrium.
    1a. Changed BIOS boot options setting from legacy boot option to UEFI with hybrid with CSM
    2. Booted with Macrium rescue image (note I had not updated by rescue USB, it was older and under "fix boot problems" only had Windows 8 but this all worked. I have since updated it to the latest, supporting Windows 10.)
    3. Go into diskpart, clean the drive, convert to GPT, create the efi and msr partitions: the commands in diskpart -
    list disk (find which disk is the one you are working on)
    select disk xx
    clean
    convert gpt
    create partition efi size=200
    format fs=fat32
    create partition msr size=128
    exit
    4. Close the command window, then use Macrium on the rescue disk boot to restore just the volume with my data out of the image, onto the unallocated space of the drive. Be sure to expand the sliders to take up the whole space in this partition. Then let it restore.
    5. At this point, I did "Fix boot problems", rebooted, and it could not find the disk. Not sure why, I did the "Fix boot problems" again, rebooted, and it worked fine! All the data was there and Windows 10 came up fine, I verified in diskpart the drive was GPT plus the space was now 3.72 TB available, not 2 TB.
    6. Changed boot options in BIOS to UEFI without CSM, and verified system and rescue disk still booted. I did this step with the newly updated Macrium Rescue image USB drive, full support of Windows 10.

My only question - in step 6, once I changed the boot option to UEFI without CSM, the rescue disk takes about 3 minutes to boot - the light blinks the whole time, but it does come up fine eventually. Before, the rescue disk would boot up in about 20 seconds or so. Same USB drive, same port. Why is that?

Thanks for everyone's help, and I hope my notes help someone else out!

awalt, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Question on disk space avail RAID 0 - Similar Threads - Question disk space

2. Storage spaces raid 0

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage spaces raid 0: have 5 disks with 18TB so made a storage space of 81TB but only allowed to use 63 TB as NTFS. 64TB fails. whats wrong ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-spaces-raid-0/84616e8c-ac97-462e-8692-df76beb92272
  3. Storage spaces raid 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage spaces raid 0: have 5 disks with 18TB so made a storage space of 81TB but only allowed to use 63 TB as NTFS. 64TB fails. whats wrong ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-spaces-raid-0/84616e8c-ac97-462e-8692-df76beb92272
  4. Storage spaces raid 0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 RAID 0 system disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 RAID 0 system disks: I am considering RAID 0 for the system disks of my next desktop build. The raid would be setup in BIOS. Does anyone knows if this is going to work with windows 11?...
  6. unallocated space on disk 0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unallocated space on disk 0: i have windows and everything on disk 0 6tb but i saw it was getting full so i got a 4tb disk for backup. then i see that disk 0 s only using 2tb while the rest is unallocated. tried to extend volume gives error only first 2tb are usable on large mbr disks. conot create...
  7. Storage Space on RAID not available

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Space on RAID not available: Windows 10 pro, just installed. Version 20H2. (Updates not yet started.) Two RAID 1 arrays created in BIOS MB: X570 AORUS Ultra, BIOS date Dec. 2019 I just installed Win10 Pro on the first RAID 1 (two M.2 drives). Windows cannot see the larger RAID 1 (SATA) I'd planned to use...
  8. RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...

RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...: Hello, I am interested to know if RAID 0 exists or not? I have an external HDD drive which states RAID 0 is possible. However, I am not sure if RAID 0 is possible or not. There are no softwares which promotes RAID 0 creation. I have tried everything and I do not believe in...
  9. Windows RAID 0 question performance question

Windows RAID 0 question performance question: Hi folks / performance gurus Got an old server 4 HDD storage bays and SSD with Raid 0 -- created 2 arrays of 2 logical HDD's but 4 physical HDD's (1 array 2 X 4TB, 1 array 2 X 3TB) -- Is this better than creating 1 array of all 4 HDD's - I'd lose some space because the...
  10. Question about SSD RAID 0

Question about SSD RAID 0: I have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I put in my personal laptop back in May. I also have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I just put in my desktop a couple weeks ago. I'm thinking about wiping both, and using both in my desktop for a RAID 0 configuration since I don't use my...