Windows 10: Question on MDT imaging & activation with OEM licensed laptops.

Discus and support Question on MDT imaging & activation with OEM licensed laptops. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; We’re looking to create a ‘gold image’ for easier deployment and refreshing of hardware for our users. All of our laptops come pre-installed with an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Matt', Feb 3, 2021.

1. Matt' Win User

Question on MDT imaging & activation with OEM licensed laptops.

We’re looking to create a ‘gold image’ for easier deployment and refreshing of hardware for our users. All of our laptops come pre-installed with an OEM Windows 10 64-bit Pro operating system.

I’ve read through quite a bit of the licensing documentation, but I want to confirm I’m understanding the process correctly.

We already have access to the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center from purchasing other licenses. But, am I correct in saying, that to obtain imaging rights, we need a single copy of Windows 10 Pro Upgrade?

And when it comes to activating these laptops, do we simply pull the embedded OEM key provided with the purchase of these laptop’s and enter them into the key field to activate them?

Thank you.

:)

Matt', Feb 3, 2021
  2. Veera31 Win User

Not able to activate Windows 10 using the Windows 7 OEM key after up gradation through MDT tool.

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the reply.

We used MDT tool bcoz, we have to upgrade 3000 laptops and clients are not ready to use SCCM. Hence we had to try MDT.

We had a OEM licence key for windows 7, currently we activated Windows 10 using the volume licence available manually. However, we are not sure why we were not able to activate Windows 10 with the genuine Windows 7 OEM licences key.

Veera31, Feb 3, 2021
  3. Deploying Windows 10 using MDT and a OEM key?

Hi,

First off, I will apologize for the complicated nature of this thread.

I have several machines that have OEM licenses of Windows 8.1 Pro. What I would like to do is do the following:

1. Install Windows 8.1 Pro onto them.
    2. For each machine, I will need to activate using their own product key that is tied to the BIOS, as I don't have a VL or individual licenses.
    3. Install an in-place Windows 10 Pro installation.

Preferably, I would like to do this all with a MDT Task Sequence.

From what I have read, Microsoft will not let people use OEM licenses with deployment. However, what I gather is that MS misunderstands what people want to do, and they think that they want to install Windows using a single OEM product key off a machine to multiple other PCs, and that's not what I want to do at all.

A MS Rep was asked about this on the website Spiceworks, and he responded with this:

What I am trying to do (for each of the machines individually, so not using a single OEM activation key to activate multiple PCs) is install Windows 8.1 on a computer that already had it on it, activate it using the legit key it came with installed into the BIOS, and upgrade to Windows 10 in a single task sequence.

Any advice?

Michaelvas17, Feb 3, 2021
  4. Xalorous Win User

Can I run virtual windows with my OEM license?

1. Backup your Windows installation.
    2. Uninstall Windows from your hard drive.
    3. Install Windows in a VM.
    4. Ensure the Windows installation has internet access.
    5. Attempt to activate the installation. You may need to call Microsoft to complete this step over the phone.

If they ask you why your are re-activating, tell them you have removed the old installation and changed your system configuration and that you are now reinstalling. (All true.)

Don't volunteer that the Windows 7 key is OEM. Your Windows 10 entitlement may or may not be marked as originating from OEM. If they say that it is OEM and that you cannot use it to activate, then you know. Say thanks and end the call. Restore your backup from step 1 and stick with dual boot, or purchase a copy of Windows 10 and activate yours that way.

Of course, you could always install Hyper-V component of Windows 10 and run your Linux inside. No licensing issues that way. And it may be installed and running by default.

Also, before step 2, you might try to find some sort of P2V solution. This basically takes an 'image' of your physical system and converts it to a virtual machine. VirtualBox wiki article. This may trigger a reactivation due to the significant change in the HAL (hardware abstraction layer).

Xalorous, Feb 3, 2021
Thema:

1. Question on MDT imaging & activation with OEM licensed laptops. - Similar Threads - Question MDT imaging

2. Clone and activation licenses question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clone and activation licenses question: Hello,We work in an area with 20 isolated laptops, that will NEVER touch the internet. We bought 20 windows 10 pro licenses with the one product key.Our normal way of verifying the system and 3rd party software is to find follow a 45-page checklist. I would like to clone one...
  3. Clone and activation licenses question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone and activation licenses question: Hello,We work in an area with 20 isolated laptops, that will NEVER touch the internet. We bought 20 windows 10 pro licenses with the one product key.Our normal way of verifying the system and 3rd party software is to find follow a 45-page checklist. I would like to clone one...
  4. Clone and activation licenses question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 / Windows 11 OEM License Question

Windows 10 / Windows 11 OEM License Question: i buy the new customize PC few month ago, can i buy windows 10 pro OEM License? or i need buy esd or fpp license? may i know the new pc with valid windows oem license right is new customize pc with windows oem license at same invoice? can i buy new customize pc with this...
  6. Windows 10 / Windows 11 OEM License Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 / Windows 11 OEM License Question: i buy the new customize PC few month ago, can i buy windows 10 pro OEM License? or i need buy esd or fpp license? may i know the new pc with valid windows oem license right is new customize pc with windows oem license at same invoice? can i buy new customize pc with this...
  7. Capture Client Image with MDT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Capture Client Image with MDT: I have just been introduce to Microsoft Deployment toolkit MDT. The school I worked in had just acquire 150 laptops and instead of configuring each one individually, I was thinking , it would be more efficient to configure one and create an image and then copy that image to...
  8. re-activate OEM license?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    re-activate OEM license?: I bought a new retail PC with a Windows 10 Home Licensc OEM. Then I bought a Windows Professional License separately and installed the license key, thus updating the PC to Windows Professional. If I would now remove the Professional license from the PC in order to install it...
  9. OEM motherboard license question

OEM motherboard license question: Hello, so I originally bought this computer with a OEM windows license attached to the motherboard. A couple months ago i removed my solid state drive and hard drive from the pc to let my nephew use it for a couple of months. Keep in mind I never deleted/formatted my drives...
  10. OEM license and VM activation

OEM license and VM activation: I am about to buy a Dell laptop, which unfortunatelly has Win10 pro pre-installed. I actually need Ubuntu, but at this time only the laptop version with Windows preinstalled is available. I will have to reinstall Ubuntu on top, but, in long term, I will have windows running...