Windows 10: Question on security--In discussion:

Discus and support Question on security--In discussion: in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Regarding the warning: Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers in the Microsoft Community forum. Contact... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by James-Hargrove, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Question on security--In discussion:

Regarding the warning:

Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers in the Microsoft Community forum. Contact https://support.microsoft.com/contactus if you need help.

This is a public community. To protect your privacy, do not post any personal information such as your email address, phone number, product key, password, or credit card number.

This all applies to W10, and Windows products going back to at least XP. I appreciate the problem, and that this is a public forum. The question is "How can the general users tell what they are looking at?"

For background:

A system icon in the task bar just appeared: The full color MS logo not the one in the lower LH corner of the screen. When I mouse over it, it reads: "Network icon shows no internet connection, but I am connected -- Microsoft Community"

In this case, the icon in the group in the lower RH corner shows that it is, in fact connected.

After a bit of research, I surmise that this MAY have been the result of my visiting the Community some months ago, having found something useful, and having checked that I wanted to be notified if there was any additional activity. I say may because, as a functional user, I have no effective access to either information or control of what the OS is doing.

That's not the point of the question, however.

Today nearly all service agreements are contract of adhesion. That is, they are take it or leave it propositions. The terms and conditions are such that the companies issuing them can change the agreement at will. Increasingly, these "contracts" include language placing the responsibility for security on the customer. The crux of the problem: These so-called "agreements" put the full burden for security on the party that--except for protecting their own passwords--is least able to affect it.

Posting this to the Community is really a shot in the dark on my part. I've actually given up on it after having observed that the same basic operating system problems can go unaddressed for years--in this case, literally a decade. I did a quick Google search and found the same question from August 2008. And the standard practice of declaring a thread closed and forcing the users to submit a new question, is not fooling anyone.

Between this, and the myth of infinite bandwidth, my personal assessment is that we are looking at a meltdown at some point. For years I was angry with the IT community for what deliberately sweeping problems under the rug. However, I now believe that this is not the case. I now sincerely believe that the IT community at large no longer understands the basic principles of systems, including, first and foremost, that the most critical element of any system is the end user of what comes out of it.

For what it's worth.

:)

James-Hargrove, Oct 25, 2018
  2. Jsssssssss, Oct 25, 2018
  3. qubit Win User
    Corporate Security Solution

That made me so facepalm. Some people have absolutely no clue. I hope they don't take you for granted with all this you're doing for them.

SonicWall is a good security product, so Mindweaver's suggestion sounds like a good one and should make for a rather bigger baby step. Let's hope they take it.

qubit, Oct 25, 2018
Thema:

Question on security--In discussion:

1. Question on security--In discussion: - Similar Threads - Question security discussion

2. Security question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security question: Hello, would Windows defender work together with Malwarebytes free, or would Malwarebytes stop windows defender from operating as in the message: you are using other antivirus providers? I cannot turn real time protection on. I uninstalled Malwarebytes free, but the same...
  3. Security question

Security question: Hello, I am running windows 10 and I noticed that in Virus and threat protection setting - real time protection is in off position and i cannot put it back into on position. Above it, it tells me that I am using other antivirus providers. When I click on Who is protecting me...
  4. Security Questions

Security Questions: So I have been paying for an Antivirus plan with McAfee, but my son-in-law says Microsoft 10 has it's own virus protection on board and I should not be paying for another. Is this true? Also son-in-law said I should only use Microsoft Edge for search engine, but I have always...
  5. TPM Question - arising from discussions on eleven forum

TPM Question - arising from discussions on eleven forum: Hi folks Could one problem be that in order to install latest versions of W10 that TPM needs to be enabled whether or not you use secure boot etc. I did read somewhere that TPM is required - even if not used - for the latest versions of W10 and those who don't have trouble...
  6. TPM Question - arising from discussions on eleven forum

in Windows 10 Support
    TPM Question - arising from discussions on eleven forum: Hi folks Could one problem be that in order to install latest versions of W10 that TPM needs to be enabled whether or not you use secure boot etc. I did read somewhere that TPM is required - even if not used - for the latest versions of W10 and those who don't have trouble...
  7. Security questions

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Security questions: I want to change the security questions for windows and I cannot. I signed in with a local account, I followed the steps but... still no results. Can you help me, please?...
  8. Having problems with submitting a question/discussion

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Having problems with submitting a question/discussion: TEST Having problems with submitting a question/discussion. Press 'Submit' button and it turns light blue but nothing happens. Get the red do not enter symbol when I hover over the submit button....
  9. security question

security question: I recently had a message pop up on my computer from a company called Econosoft support. was told I needed a firewall installed. I installed it for big $$$. My question is ; did I really need this and maybe I should cancel. I already have security through my Frontier phone...
  10. Windows 10 Security & Privacy Discussion

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Security & Privacy Discussion: Over the last several days we've been bombarded with articles about how extensive Windows 10's collection of user data is. I've even had long discussions about it with friends, some who are on Windows and others who are on Mac. Of course my Mac friend said what I expected him...