Windows 10: Question on upgrading data retention

Discus and support Question on upgrading data retention in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As I contemplate taking the upgrade offer, to upgrade from 8.1 to 10, I have been doing some reading here in regards to the upgrade process. Since I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dburne, Dec 16, 2015.

1. dburne Win User

Question on upgrading data retention

As I contemplate taking the upgrade offer, to upgrade from 8.1 to 10, I have been doing some reading here in regards to the upgrade process. Since I am not changing out motherboard, I would prefer to try the upgrade first rather than the pain of a clean install.

Anyway, I have 4 physical drives, one of which has three partitions. Two SSD's ( One has Windows and programs, the other games), and two hard disks that have data on them.

I guess my thinking is, by doing the upgrade route, it will preserve everything that I have installed for Windows 10, like all my games along with their settings.
    Now in reading the Windows 10 Upgrade installation tutorial thread in the forum, is states:
    So I was thinking I could just leave everything connected as is, and the upgrade would retain the appropriate drives and data on them. By disconnecting, how is it going to do that?
    Or is this referring more to doing a clean install? I know whenever I do a new system build, or replace the motherboard, that is what I do, just have the C drive connected.

Thanks for any tips, just trying to wrap my head around everything in preparation for when I do the upgrade.

:)

dburne, Dec 16, 2015

2. n86 format

A firmware installation on an N86 shouldnt really delete anything due to the user data retention.

chanchan05, Dec 16, 2015
  3. Nokia *bleep* suite, so frustrating.

+1 for the rant, Nokia the new version AKA OVI without user data retention is woeful...

gdavidf---01, Dec 16, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

From my experience I never have unconnected my secondary drive(HDD) when I update the OS on my primary(SSD) and I've never encountered any issues with the drive and the data on it. When done the data and drives are there and the letters that were assigned are the same.

Just my experience,,
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Dec 16, 2015
  5. dburne Win User
    That is kind of what I was thinking as well. Certainly I will have full recent backups of all my data stored on an external hard drive, just in case something should happen with the data on any of those drives. But I was thinking it should retain the drives along with the drive letters and data on them.

Thanks,

dburne, Dec 16, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    You're welcome.. and I had the same results when I went from 8.1 to 10 build 10240 and with every subsequent upgrade.

Good luck
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Question on upgrading data retention - Similar Threads - Question upgrading data

2. Event logger Retention

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event logger Retention: hello everyone, i am tasked to change the event logger retention period to 12 months. can you please guide me in the correct way to get this done? thank you in advance....
  3. Event logger Retention

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Event logger Retention: hello everyone, i am tasked to change the event logger retention period to 12 months. can you please guide me in the correct way to get this done? thank you in advance....
  4. Data Processing and Retention

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data Processing and Retention: I need to find out what the physical location is of the servers that carry out the Speech Recognition process for Windows Speech Recognition and if there is any data retention and if so what is the data retention period....
  5. Data Processing and Retention

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data Processing and Retention: I need to find out what the physical location is of the servers that carry out the Speech Recognition process for Windows Speech Recognition and if there is any data retention and if so what is the data retention period....
  6. Prefetch File Retention

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prefetch File Retention: In the Windows 10 environment, do prefetch files within C:\Windows\Prefetch\ automatically get deleted over time even if the quantity in the folder does not exceed the 1024 limit? If yes, is there a specific criteria for prefetch file deletion? e.g., X amount of time? X...
  7. App Data question

in Windows 10 Support
    App Data question: 3 days ago I had 138gb of space on my Drive C. Today I checked it and I was down to 134gb. I use my D drive for as much as I can so I really haven't used the C drive at all. Last week I made a list of most of my folders to see where the problem was. Under appdata, I had...
  8. Question about macrium's retention policy, im a bit shakey

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about macrium's retention policy, im a bit shakey: Incredible how hard it is to find solid recommendations revolving around certain criteria online for macrium lol. Anyhow, here is what i have, and what im going for. I want grandfather-father-son and I want 3 months worth of full backups. 1 month worth of differential. 2...
  9. Question about macrium's retention policy, im a bit shakey

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about macrium's retention policy, im a bit shakey: Incredible how hard it is to find solid recommendations revolving around certain criteria online for macrium lol. Anyhow, here is what i have, and what im going for. I want grandfather-father-son and I want 3 months worth of full backups. 1 month worth of differential. 2...
  10. Windows 10 Software Retention?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Software Retention?: Hello, I have my OS installed on an SSD. I have all of my other software (many games) installed on HDDs. Will the software need to be reinstalled when I upgrade to Windows 10? Thanks. 9209