Windows 10: Question on Windows 10 free upgrade license.

Discus and support Question on Windows 10 free upgrade license. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have an old machine that was originally running Windows 7 Pro(Retail) and I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro through the free upgrade process. I believe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by feeppers, Dec 28, 2018.

1. feeppers Win User

Question on Windows 10 free upgrade license.

I have an old machine that was originally running Windows 7 Pro(Retail) and I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro through the free upgrade process. I believe I tied it to an MS Account with my email, but cannot remember. I logged onto my account from another computer and see my system listed under devices, but it does not tell me if Windows 10 is linked. I might not be looking in the right spot if it is there or know what to look for. Anyways, the problem I am having is that the Motherboard of this old system has probably just died. I have not done any troubleshooting on it just yet, but want to get a head start on getting this system repaired/upgraded. I can always just install Window 7 Pro on the machine and do the upgrade process once again, but I really would prefer a clean install of Windows 10 if possible. I cannot get the machine started, but am sure all my data is on the drives on the machine. Is there a file I can pull off the System Drive to tell me if it is linked to an account? I can pull the drive out of the machine and use a dock at work to get to all the data on the drive.

:)

feeppers, Dec 28, 2018
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, Dec 28, 2018
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Dec 28, 2018
  4. trparky Win User

Potential upgrade to AMD Ryzen

There are two types of Windows licenses...
    • Retail
    • OEM
    Retail licenses of Windows can be legally transferred between hardware because it's a retail license. Upgrade licenses if it was an upgrade from a retail license maintains the same license freedoms that the original license held, Windows 10 upgrade licenses are the only exception to that rule. OEM licenses however cannot be transferred from hardware to hardware. Upgrades from OEM licenses of course have the same restrictions that the original OEM license had.

However, right now Microsoft is still accepting old licenses of Windows as an upgrade to Windows 10. All you have to do is type in your old key and it will accept it. Why Microsoft is still allowing this I have no idea but my thoughts are is that Windows 10 adoption numbers are so damn low that they need all the help they can get. *Laugh :laugh:

trparky, Dec 28, 2018
Thema:

1. Question on Windows 10 free upgrade license. - Similar Threads - Question free upgrade

2. Free upgraded PC activation and license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Free upgraded PC activation and license: I have a old pc that I upgraded to windows 10 during free upgrade period. If I give my pc to a friend or family member, will the windows 10 license still be valid as it is digitally linked to my Microsoft account?...
  3. Find Digital License for Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Find Digital License for Windows 10 Free Upgrade: I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 Home had Windows 7 before in 2016, directly from Microsoft. Recently my PC started having issues with the Windows update, then this weekend I noticed an error message in Settings, saying "Windows is not activated." I ran the...
  4. Windows 10 Free Upgrade License and Audit Compliance

Windows 10 Free Upgrade License and Audit Compliance: Hi, We had upgraded Windows 7 Pre-Installed OEM (Which came with HP / Dell Workstations) to Windows 10 in the year of 2016 when Microsoft announced a pubic free upgrade. We had reloaded a couple of our internal systems in the year of 2017 due to performance issues. We had...
  5. Windows 10 License for free

Windows 10 License for free: Split from this thread. I need to know if is possible to get product key freely https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-license-for-free/87835dbc-e4ea-4bb2-afff-18a8393e43f5"
  6. Window 10 Free Upgrade License Question

Window 10 Free Upgrade License Question: I have a few questions relating to the license terms for the Free Windows 10 Upgrade from 7. 1) Does the license require that Window 7 be replaced on the computer with Windows 10? For example, can I create an image of my existing Win 7 system, recover it to a second hard...
  7. Free upgrade to Windows 10 installation question

Free upgrade to Windows 10 installation question: To introduce myself, I am a 75 year old, grey haired wrinkly with a little computer knowledge but not too much. Please forgive me if this question seems trivial to some of you. Like many of you, I have the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10 and, I intend to do it once...
  8. Free upgrade question

in Windows 10 Support
    Free upgrade question: Hi, I have been reading the free upgrade FAQ on here and stuff on other sites but still unsure about one point. Once my PC has downloaded the files for doing the free upgrade do I have to perform the upgrade within the first year since Win 10 launch or can I do it at a later...
  9. Question about upgraded license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about upgraded license: My laptop is running 10 home, upgraded from 8.1 core. I have a retail license for Windows 10 Pro. Will installing Windows 10 Pro affect my eligibility to clean install Windows 10 Home (based on my upgrade from OEM 8.1 Core) in case I want to sell my laptop and use my retail...
  10. Free Windows 10 upgrade a permanent license?

in Windows 10 Support
    Free Windows 10 upgrade a permanent license?: Is it known whether the serial of an upgraded Windows 7 or 8 will become affiliated with MS as being a Windows 10 serial, so that the license owner may reinstall Windows 10 after a format or machine-license transfer, including beyond the 1-year period for free Windows 10...