Windows 10: Question Random crashes to desktop - 0xc0000005 - Nothing is helping

Discus and support Question Random crashes to desktop - 0xc0000005 - Nothing is helping in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Whenever I'm using an application, this could be a game like Rocket League, Valorant, or a program like Twitter, Edge, Discord etc., I get these random... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Elise4K, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Elise4K Win User

Question Random crashes to desktop - 0xc0000005 - Nothing is helping

Whenever I'm using an application, this could be a game like Rocket League, Valorant, or a program like Twitter, Edge, Discord etc., I get these random crashes to desktop. I have no clue what triggers them. It can happen 5 minutes after launch, or it can go fine for 2 hours, so I really have no idea what is causing this crash. I check the Event Viewer after every crash, it doesn't tell me which module is causing it, but it consistently tells me that the error code 0xc0000005. I'm completely helpless and desperate. I just CAN NOT fix this no matter what I do. At this point I need guidance more than anything, I just wish I could know what was wrong. I'm not sure where to go as it's not a pre-built PC.

Now when did this start? I honestly don't remember. All I remember that on April 3rd, I was reinstalling Windows 10 using the Reset this PC option. During the installation, I got a blue screen. This happened 3 times in a row, and afterwards, my computer straight up refused to launch. I was getting no input to my monitors. Then it randomly decided to launch, and I managed to reinstall Windows through a USB. I thought this would be the end of the issue, but the blue screens kept haunting me. I was getting like 4 blue screens a day. I tried EVERYTHING, it lasted for months, I managed to lower the amount of the blue screens but couldn't fix them.
    A few weeks ago, I reinstalled Windows 10 again, and upgraded to Windows 10 version 2004. The blue screens are gone, but a new issue arrived, which brings me here. Now for weeks, I've been dealing with my games and applications randomly crashing to desktop. As I said, no errors, just crashes to desktop, everything else works fine. The event viewer tells me that the error is 0xc0000005. My computer was working PERFECTLY FINE before "that" bluescreen that happened while I was trying to reinstall Windows through Reset this PC. I legitimately have no clue how to fix this. I've never been completely defeated like this. I don't know what to do, please just help.

Here are the things that I tried;
    -Ran a memtest86. 0 errors on 6 passes.
    -Reseated the GPU and the RAM's.
    -sfc /scannow and DISM.exe restore health.
    -Prime95 tests for 1 hours, no errors.
    -Disabled XMP.
    -Reset CMOS.
    -Reinstalling Windows Tried both version 1909 and 2004
    -Updated BIOS to the latest version.
    -Updated every single driver on my computer.
    -Ran chkdsk.
    -Scanned my PC with Malwarebytes.
    -Played around with RAM frequency and DRAM Voltage.

Specs:
    CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB 2X8GB 3000 MHz
    Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus
    GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G
    PSU: Seasonic S12II 620 W
    SSD: Samsung 850 EVO
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB

:)

Elise4K, Aug 4, 2020
  2. Ricko66 Win User

Random apps and games crashes with error 0xc0000005 and blue screens

Since the end of July 2019 my apps and games (including windows services) have been crashing randomly, the windows event log lists these crashes with error 0xc0000005, here's an example for the game Verdun (other apps and games crash with the same error):

Faulting application name: Verdun.exe, version: 2019.2.4.15146, time stamp: 0x5d65bc48

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00003ffca4ea3081

Faulting process ID: 0x1760

Faulting application start time: 0x01d5859441ddbe1a

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\WW1GameSeries\Verdun\Verdun.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report ID: 47476bd7-22fa-4760-b22b-07598c183ba1

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I have also been having random blue screens with the errors PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.

I have used windows Driver Verifier and I managed to get some blue screens that point to the clipsp.sys driver but I don't think the content of the blue screen contains everything meaningful.

The crashes do not seem to happen in Safe Mode.

In the past months I have tried almost everything:

• Clean boot
    • Updated windows to latest version
    • Used all tools to check integrity or corruption like sfc, chkdsk, ecc.
    • Clean reinstalled windows multiple times
    • Replaced RAM modules
    • Replaced motherboard
    The crashes still happen. Since I have no idea what is causing these crashes my next step will be replacing the CPU...

Ricko66, Aug 4, 2020
  3. DrZoo Win User
    Various applications crashing, mostly from error 0xc0000005

KScorp, did you ever find any solution to this? I've been having the same problem for a while now. I too have the issue mostly when gaming (GTA5, BF4) I should try other games too. The crashing is pretty random as well. I thought I had it fixed today because I played GTA and BF4 for about 3 hours total with no crash. Then it suddenly crashed while I was in GTA5.

Things I have tried:
    • Run Memtest86, for over 24 hours. (Did this twice, no errors)
    • Microsoft Memory Diagnostic (No erros)
    • Tested all HDD's for bad sectors (all were good)
    • Uninstalled/reinstalled Nvidia drivers with DDU (still crashes)
    • Uninstalled Nvidia drivers again and moved GPU, a GTX 680, to different PCIe slot (still crashes)
    • Ran OCCT PSU test for 3 hours (nothing crashed)
    • Ran Driver Verifier to ensure driver integrity (ran for 16+ hours, no BSOD from misbehaving driver)

Things to try still:
    • Flash BIOS to updated version
    • Reinstall Windows 10 (this was happening with Windows 7 before fresh install/update to Win 10 so I don't think that was the issue)
    • Any other suggestions
    • Smash with hammer

DrZoo, Aug 4, 2020
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Random BSOD while browsing internet

BitDefender is nothing special. mwac.sys causes BSODs anywhere.
    A tiny documentation can be found here: Solved Random BSODs - Windows 10 Forums
    In that very thread, the suggested action apparently worked.

The storage and network filters of any third party antivirus can cause BSODs. Neither MBAM nor BitDefender is any special. For a regular antivirus, it may be shifted to an alternative; but MBAM has no alternative. So a clean install of the said program is the most feasible first step.
    As far as the first step is not failing, it is better to not think for the second step. Because the BSODs are not universal, failure at the first step is not universal; and success at the second step is also not universal.
    That is why I posted that my suggestion may work, or may not. Let us see where it goes.

Thema:

1. Question Random crashes to desktop - 0xc0000005 - Nothing is helping - Similar Threads - Question Random crashes

2. 0xc0000005 on Random applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0xc0000005 on Random applications: Good morning all,As the title suggests I am getting a windows error on Random applications. It only happens once a day when the user logs in. 1. I have tried rolling back recent updates and reinstalling. 2. Next tried doing a reinstall .net but the error continued. 3. Next...
  3. 0xc0000005 on Random applications

in Windows 10 Customization
    0xc0000005 on Random applications: Good morning all,As the title suggests I am getting a windows error on Random applications. It only happens once a day when the user logs in. 1. I have tried rolling back recent updates and reinstalling. 2. Next tried doing a reinstall .net but the error continued. 3. Next...
  4. Exception code 0xc0000005, Destiny crash to desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Exception code 0xc0000005, Destiny crash to desktop: Faulting application name: destiny2.exe, version: 28769.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60b06051Faulting module name: destiny2.exe, version: 28769.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60b06051Exception code: 0xc0000005Fault offset: 0x000000000068e42bFaulting process ID: 0xc94Faulting application start...
  5. Randomized crash-to-desktops with error 0xc0000005 in Event Viewer

Randomized crash-to-desktops with error 0xc0000005 in Event Viewer: Hello.. i've been trying to resolve this issue for 4 months now. I feel like i tried everything and i'm kind of losing hope. Literally anything will help, please! The crashes happen randomly only when playing games. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds to crash, sometimes 6...
  6. Randomized crash-to-desktops with error 0xc0000005 in Event Viewer

Randomized crash-to-desktops with error 0xc0000005 in Event Viewer: Hello.. i've been trying to resolve this issue for 4 months now. I feel like i tried everything and i'm kind of losing hope. Literally anything will help, please! The crashes happen randomly only when playing games. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds to crash, sometimes 6...
  7. Error 0xc0000005 causing crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0xc0000005 causing crashes: Hey Ive had this error 0xc0000005 crashing all my games before, and after trying two weeks on fixing it i gave up and bought a new gpu thinking it would fix anything. However, after working fine for a week, yet again my games are crashing and showing errorcode 0xc0000005 in...
  8. Flight Simulator 2020 Crashing to desktop Exception code: 0xc0000005

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flight Simulator 2020 Crashing to desktop Exception code: 0xc0000005: Game crashs to desktop while loading right before flying or during flight does not take so long. Nvidia GTX 1080Ti w/ Ryzen 5 3600 - All drivers updated - Nvidia 452.06 - Windows 10 2004 Build 19041.450 Error log is accompanied by a few information logs: Error log:...
  9. Exception code: 0xc0000005 - Crash to Desktop in Several Apps

Exception code: 0xc0000005 - Crash to Desktop in Several Apps: I have been experiencing app crashes for several days. Results in a crash to desktop and its always the same error code. See below for most recent crash: Faulting application name: AoE2DE_s.exe, version: 101.101.36202.0, time stamp: 0x5e7ba162 Faulting module name:...
  10. Random apps and games crashes with error 0xc0000005 and blue screens

Random apps and games crashes with error 0xc0000005 and blue screens: Since the end of July 2019 my apps and games (including windows services) have been crashing randomly, the windows event log lists these crashes with error 0xc0000005, here's an example for the game Verdun (other apps and games crash with the same error): Faulting...
Tags: