Windows 10: Question re: Media Creation Tool and Windows 10 versions ...

Discus and support Question re: Media Creation Tool and Windows 10 versions ... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. So, I know all about the Media Creation Tool that Microsoft has provided, and I've used it to download an installable ISO of Windows 10 after I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Omnimaxus, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Omnimaxus Win User

Question re: Media Creation Tool and Windows 10 versions ...

Hello. So, I know all about the Media Creation Tool that Microsoft has provided, and I've used it to download an installable ISO of Windows 10 after I got finished upgrading to Windows 10 via the Media Creation Tool. My question is, will Microsoft stick with Build 10240 (the version of Windows 10 that went "gold" for RTM) whenever someone downloads a Windows 10 ISO, or will they upgrade the downloadable ISO via the Media Creation Tool from time to time ? Someone on these forums did say they noticed a different version number when they downloaded a new Windows 10 ISO, so that's what prompted me to ask. Thanks in advance.

:)

Omnimaxus, Aug 7, 2015

2. Windows 10 Download

I recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 But I have had some aggravations and as a result I would like to perform a fresh install I used the media creation tool to perform the Upgrade and as a result The version of Windows 10 on the media creation tool
    is the old one

and I want to do a fresh install with the newest version of windows 10. My question is if I re-download the Media Creation tool will it download the newest Windows 10 version or an older Build?

Eaglecomander, Aug 7, 2015
  3. aj3450 Win User
    Updating Windows 10 Built 10244 to Windows 10 Build 10586, Version 1511

Hi Nachappa,

Thank you for your prompt answer to my question.

I followed your instructions and downloaded Media Creation Tools from Windows website.

Unfortunately, the Media Creation Tools, re-installs same Windows build as the one exists on my tablet.

Any other suggestion to enable me obtain Version 1511?

Thanks Again

aj3450, Aug 7, 2015
  4. gzt7d8 Win User

The build number is still 10240. There was an update this week (Cumulative Update KB3081424 ) that someone had commented it changed the build number but the change was to the right of the decimal.

The new build number now is:

10240.16412.amd64fre.th1.150729-1800

You have to find this detail in the Registry. If you ran Winver from the Run command, it would still show 10240.

gzt7d8, Aug 7, 2015
  5. Omnimaxus Win User
    Right, but as updates roll out via Windows Update, will the ISO of Windows 10 that gets downloaded and created via Media Creation Tool get updated, too? That's what I'm asking. Does anyone know the answer to this question? Apparently it has to be "yes," given the fact that Microsoft did change the version number after they released KB3081424, but it'd be nice if someone could confirm this (officially, that is). Thanks.

Omnimaxus, Aug 8, 2015
  6. Boozad Win User
    Please don't bump your threads.

And nobody can officially confirm anything of the sort as we don't work for MS. It's one of those questions that can only be answered over time as it happens, anything else would be guesswork for now.

Boozad, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Question re: Media Creation Tool and Windows 10 versions ... - Similar Threads - Question Media Creation

2. Windows Media Creation Tool Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Media Creation Tool Question: Hi guys, my pc has been acting up recently so i wanted to reset it, however, I found that I wouldn't have the time to reinstall all my apps and games so I then switched over to the media creation tool. Theres one problem though, my pc was pre built and when we bought it, we...
  3. Windows Media creation tool question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Media creation tool question: Hello all, I'm just wondering if an "ss usb" is the same as a "flash drive usb". I want to create a windows media creation tool to reinstall windows, but I don't want to mess this up. submitted by /u/_Novagrog_ [link] [comments]...
  4. Windows Media Creation tool Question

Windows Media Creation tool Question: My PC keeps freezing on me and because of my idiocy I did not create a restore drive or create a new install media when I upgraded Win 7 to Win 10. I am needing to reset my Win 10 system and I need to run the media creation tool to help resolve this issue. My question is do I...
  5. Media Creation Tool Question

Media Creation Tool Question: If I use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB flash drive and then use the flash drive to do a clean install of Windows 10, will WinRE be used for any part of the process? I’m asking because I have an old laptop running Windows 10 that doesn’t like the latest...
  6. Windows 10 media creation tool questions ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 media creation tool questions ?: Hello & Thanks , I couldn't find a Windows 10 Forum , so here goes: Windows 10 went crazy on me . It kept flashing running programs looping them over an over . And wouldn't let me type anything in. So I managed to get it to reinstalling windows 10. I took the shorter...
  7. Media Creation Tool question

Media Creation Tool question: Hi, I have never had any problems using the Media Creation Tool to perform a Windows 10 clean installation until yesterday so I have a couple of questions. 1. The tutorial here says after going to the Microsoft site and selecting the Download Tool (Media Creation Tool)...
  8. Media Creation Tool question

Media Creation Tool question: I plan on doing a clean install. My question is do I still need to upgrade to windows 10 first or can I just enter the windows 7 key during the clean install of windows 10? Thank you for this information 9372
  9. Media Creation Tool Question

Media Creation Tool Question: I have a USB installation thumb drive that I created using the Media Creation Tool back in August 2015 to clean install on a new laptop. I may have the time I need to upgrade my desktop and I am preparing everything I need for a clean install. Will I need to create a...
  10. Question re: cumulative updates and Media Creation Tool ...

in Windows 10 Support
    Question re: cumulative updates and Media Creation Tool ...: Hello. Question - when Microsoft releases cumulative patches for Windows 10, does the Media Creation Tool get updated, too? Or does it get updated only for major build releases (e.g. Threshold 2)? Thanks in advance. *Wink 38587