Windows 10: Question re: Recovery partitions, Macrium

Discus and support Question re: Recovery partitions, Macrium in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My project is to clone my HDD C: to a new, larger SSD. I think I have things pretty well figured out, but I am not comfortable with the situation in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by robkay, Mar 27, 2020.

1. robkay Win User

Question re: Recovery partitions, Macrium

My project is to clone my HDD C: to a new, larger SSD. I think I have things pretty well figured out, but I am not comfortable with the situation in my current Recovery Partition. Below is a pic of my current partitioning scheme.

Question re: Recovery partitions, Macrium [​IMG]

As far as I can figure out, the partitions purposes are as follows (correct me if I'm wrong):
    1- This appears to me to be the original, Lenovo OEM Win 8 recovery partition and is obsolete now that I am on W10 1909.
    2- Windows "System" partition.
    3- The MS Reserved partition.
    4- My W10 O/S partition.
    5- One of my Data partitions
    6- Another Data partition
    7- This one is a bit of a mystery. It is "explorable" with EaseUS, however shows absolutely no content. My conclusions is that it is an abandoned Recovery partition that got created somewhere through the updates from Win 8 to 8.1, to various updates to Win 10.
    8- This is my current Recovery Partition. It is over 8g in size which is ridiculous.
    In exploring it with EaseUS, it appears that when this one got created they created a folder named "Recovery" with a subfolder called "WindowsRE" and this is the current MS Windows recover environment.
    However it appears that they pulled along the contents of the old Lenovo OEM Recovery partition which are in a folder named "Recovery Image" with a subfolder named "Lenovo." All of the files here are dated like 2013 and this is where the disk consumption is occurring. Install.wim is 6gb and there is one called wdrive.zip at 450mb. I'm pretty sure all of this stuff is Windows 8, so I don't need any of that.

I think I want to have a (MS) Recovery Partition, however I want to get rid of that "Recovery Image" folder, as Lenovo's recovery crap does me no good since it is Win8 and is consuming several gb's of space.

Does anyone have any direction on how I can do that? With UEFI/GPT I don't think you can assign a drive letter to the partition anymore to possibly maintain the contents of the partition.

Thanks in advance!

:)

robkay, Mar 27, 2020
  2. Jerry8AB Win User

Macrium Boot Question

Macrium Boot Question

I use Windows 10 and a Macrium recovery program. My BIOS is set where the optical disk for CDs and DVDs are not set to recognize a CD/DVD disc as the first priority to boot from.

What are the steps I should take to make my Macrium Rescue Disk as being first to boot from?

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry8AB, Mar 27, 2020
  3. RyoTakagi Win User
    Lost recovery partition

Hello, I see that you are having issues with recovery partition. I would suggest you using the diskpart command in the command prompt. First, open up the comand prompt as an administrator, then type in diskpart. Now, type in list disk, and look for the
    recovery partition drive. Follow the steps in the link below:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-fo...

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have further questions! Question re: Recovery partitions, Macrium :)

RyoTakagi, Mar 27, 2020
  4. Anusha Win User

How To: Create recovery partition.

it worked when i copied all the files of the disk to the recovery partition i created, but i had to use WinPE tab to add the entry.

Type: WIM Image (Ramdisk)
    Name: Recovery
    Path: Z:\Sources\boot.wim
    and hit Add Entry
    I tried it in VirtualBox and it worked.
    At first, it would add a second "Windows 7" entry to the list, but when the installation is finished, the old one is deleted. (I formatted only C: partition)

Anusha, Mar 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Question re: Recovery partitions, Macrium - Similar Threads - Question Recovery partitions

2. Macrium Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Macrium Question: Macrium Question –I am trying to restore an image.I get to a screen that says: Select a disk to restore to….I then select Next and I get a screen that says: Please select a destination disk.Can you tell me how to do the two steps above?Thank you,Jerry9/18/2021...
  3. Question re Macrium application - latest build.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question re Macrium application - latest build.: For several years I have successfully used macrium (which had got me out of many self inflicted errors). With all the recent updates, I decided to burn new rescue disks. In the past I just inserted my previous disks and, via the bios, booted into the rescue disk. I have just...
  4. Way to re-create the Recovery Partition?

in Windows 10 Support
    Way to re-create the Recovery Partition?: Hi all...my nephew was futzing around on his laptop 'cleaning' it (he likes to THINK he knows what he is doing...) and deleted the Recovery Partition to save space, but now wants it back in case of a problem down the road. It's running the most recent version of Win10 Home....
  5. Question about recovery partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about recovery partition: OneKey Recovery no longer works on my laptop, presumably because of a clean install, so I'm planning to start using Macrium Reflect. There's a hidden partition called "PRB_DRV". How can I tell whether it's safe to delete this partition? 131144
  6. Questions re Macrium Restore to a new PC ??

Questions re Macrium Restore to a new PC ??: Can a mirror backup be restored on a new PC ??? I'm a little confused as a mirror image has all the settings of the old pc which may have had different hardware than a new pc. If the image is restored to a new pc's hard drive would there be conflict problems with the...
  7. Macrium Question

Macrium Question: Using Macrium, I created a Rescue Media disk and then created a System Image of my C drive and saved it on a backup HD. When the process completed, I checked Explorer to make sure that all folders and files I had selected from the partition to image, were in a Backup folder I...
  8. Macrium. A quick question on the Macrium recovery splash screen.

Macrium. A quick question on the Macrium recovery splash screen.: After much persuasion from you guys, and having encountered a real issue/bug with Windows own disk imager *Smile I'm giving Macrium Reflect a fair trial. Quick question hopefully. I've installed the Macrium 'Add recovery Boot Menu' option so that I can restore under...
  9. Recovery Partition question

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Partition question: I have space for the recovery partition but it says the partition is empty. I was trying to make a recovery usb and it would say couldn't create one. I went under computer management and the space is accolated but says it has 100% free space, so how come when I did the clean...
  10. Re-Create that 450MB Recovery Partition?

in Windows 10 Support
    Re-Create that 450MB Recovery Partition?: In a fit of over zealous tidying up after installing Win 10 on my lappie, I deleted the 450MB Recovery Partition that the upgrade from Windows 7 created at the end of the main partition. 1) What was actually in that partition and why would I want it. 2) If I do want it,...