Windows 10: Question regarding external hard drive

Discus and support Question regarding external hard drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hi there, I have an 500 gigs external HDD connected to my desktop. Is it ok to temporarily remove it to my laptop? I am worried about the label.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oeivinr, Nov 1, 2017.

1. oeivinr Win User

Question regarding external hard drive

hi there,

I have an 500 gigs external HDD connected to my desktop. Is it ok to temporarily remove it to my laptop?
    I am worried about the label. Will it get different label on the laptop than on the desktop and is that something to worry about. In other words, will the HDD function as it used to when I put it back on the desktop.

*Think

:)

oeivinr, Nov 1, 2017

2. File transfer issue in Windows 10.

Hi,

This may happen if there are issues with either the computer or the external hard drive. To better isolate the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you tried using another cable to connect the external hard drive to your PC?
    • Were you able to use the external hard drive with a different PC?
    • When did the issue start happening?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    Regards.

Katrina Men, Nov 1, 2017
  3. External HDD 1.0 TB

Hi,

The partition of your external hard drive might incorrectly setup.

We would like to ask some questions to know the best possible resolution to offer.

• Did you receive any error messages when you tried to format your external hard drive?
    • Could you send us a screenshot showing the Disk Management of your external hard drive?
    We're keeping an eye to your reply regarding this issue.

Nathaniel Mon, Nov 1, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

The label should not change, but it might get a different drive letter depending on how many drive letters are already assigned on the computer it is connected to. It might be D: drive on one computer and E: drive on another computer. Then it would go back to D: drive on the first computer. So you have to take that into account if you are relying on a specific drive letter to access something on the external drive.

You can get around that by manually assigning a higher drive letter when you connect it the first time. For example, I have an external HD with movies on it and when I first connect it to a computer, I manually change the drive letter to M:. Then whenever that same drive is connected to that same computer it always gets M:.

Note, you can always change the drive letter - it does not have to be the very first time the drive is connected to the computer.

NavyLCDR, Nov 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Question regarding external hard drive - Similar Threads - Question regarding external

2. Question about external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and I'm using BitLocker on it. What will happen to it if I connect to the computer using windows under 10? Can I access this?...
  3. Question about external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and I'm using BitLocker on it. What will happen to it if I connect to the computer using windows under 10? Can I access this?...
  4. Regarding a hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Regarding a hard drive problem: Hi!!I have a hp pavilion p214dx. It's about 6 years old now and I haven't changed any hardware of the laptop. Now I hear a small clicking noise when i keep my ear close to it. so I downloaded crystal disk info and here wt it shows. Please explain to me wt it shows. I will be...
  5. External Hard drive sharing question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External Hard drive sharing question: Hi there i was wondering you can help me. On my PC, i have setup an external hardrive so it is visible on a network and accesible via a smart hisense TV. Normally it works great but the past few days i have noticed that if i am watching something via the TV on my external...
  6. External Hard Drive Question - seeing two Drive Fs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Question - seeing two Drive Fs: I have Win 10 Home with two internal drives 128GB SSD (C) containing the Windows OS and a I TB data drive (D). I recently made a disk image of the two drives as source driveswith Macrium and an external Iomega 500GB destination drive (F). Macrium verified that the image was...
  7. Question regarding external SSD initialization

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question regarding external SSD initialization: I just upgraded my laptop with a larger capacity SSD, but I still want to be able to use the old SSD. So, I bought an external enclosure, installed the old SSD into it and connected it via USB to my laptop. The Windows disk manager displayed a message that the drive needed to...
  8. Regarding External hard drive

Regarding External hard drive: Hello everyone, May you all help me with one thing? My external hard drive normally worked as usual. However, it stopped showing in my computer since many days ago even though I try to plug it in every port and even try to initialize it. Yet it still does not work. All your...
  9. Wiping External Hard Drive Questions

Wiping External Hard Drive Questions: I have a laptop that i do everything on mostly. I have a usb drive that i back up information on and also a 1tb external hard drive as well. However, the thing is a while back i had an issue with an old laptop that did not work anymore and went to a repair shop and they were...
  10. External Hard Drive Questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    External Hard Drive Questions: I am looking at getting an External Hard Drive for Christmas to back up all of my photos to it since I take a lot of pictures. I don’t want to waste my PC’s storage on pictures. My Hard Drive on my HP PC is 1TB. What storage capacity should I go with for an External Hard...