Windows 10: Question regarding installation of W10 on a new PC with old drive

Discus and support Question regarding installation of W10 on a new PC with old drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I tried to read up on this topic but there is quite a bit of contradicting information, so I thought I'd better ask myself. So excuse me, I bet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by oiuhbviuah, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Question regarding installation of W10 on a new PC with old drive

Hello,
    I tried to read up on this topic but there is quite a bit of contradicting information, so I thought I'd better ask myself. So excuse me, I bet there have been threads like mine before but for every answer I read, there was another one stating the opposite.

The situation:
    I am building a new PC which will use the SSD of my old PC as a system drive. I am still hoping the plug-and-play features of W10 allow me to get around the reinstallation of windows entirely after uninstalling all drivers, but I want to make sure (and also be able to reinstall at a later point of time).

So, I own a (legit) retail version of W7 (64 bit) and upgraded to W10 while it was possible. Also, I linked my license key to my microsoft account.
    From reading this article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ardware-change I understand that since the anniversary update I can change hardware after linking the account, including even the mainboard. What if I, as in my case, where to replace everything besides the SSD or even that. Will activation with my microsoft account work just fine or should I buy a cheap key off one of the many shady sites out there.

Your help is very much appreciated!

:)

oiuhbviuah, Dec 20, 2016
  2. Shilohbob Win User

Transferring Windows 10

If your WS10 is installed on a previous manufacturers PC HP, Acer, etc.) it will be a OEM version which cannot be transferred, it is tied to that one device.

If you bought a retail version of W10, you must uninstall from old device and then install on new device.

Query: You purchased a new desktop, what version of windows is currently installed, why not just upgrade new PC to W10, and then transfer your data to new PC,.

Is your question suppose to be how to transfer your user data from old PC to new PC?

Shilohbob, Dec 20, 2016
  3. JS72 Win User
    download Windows 10 upgrade to dvd

Right... but how do I get the W10 clean install on the new SSD after it is on the old disk drive ? I want to take out the disk drive and clean install it on the new SSD . Do you mean the option to clean install on the SSD will be available if both drives
    are in during the upgrade ? Then I can remove the old drive and it will then boot with W10 on the SSD?

4. NavyLCDR New Member

Question regarding installation of W10 on a new PC with old drive

Seems to me like the smart thing to do would be to try it with the activation troubleshooter and your Microsoft Account and if that doesn't work then you can always purchase a product key to activate it with.

Kind of like just moving the SSD over with Windows 10 still installed on it (which I have done, BTW and it works just fine). You can ask if it will work or not but the bottom line is if it doesn't work...ummmm....well then just do a clean install.

It's not like we are talking about doing permanent damage to anything here. Try the easy way first. If the easy way doesn't work, then move to the harder way.

NavyLCDR, Dec 20, 2016
  5. Thank you for your suggestion. I will of course try it the easy way first but at some point I want to try a clean install anyways.

oiuhbviuah, Dec 20, 2016
  6. spapakons Win User
    Windows 10 is more flexible when changing hardware, so it is unlikely that you will see any of the dreadful BSOD when moving Windows 7 or earlier to different hardware. I guess it will boot without any problem, you can then update the drivers to match the new hardware. Chances are that you will have to activate Windows again, if you cannot do that online automatically, simply call Microsoft Support, tell them you have upgraded your PC and they will activate it for you.

spapakons, Dec 20, 2016
  7. Should I uninstall my old MB drivers (at least ethernet, sound and whatever's possible) anyways?

oiuhbviuah, Dec 21, 2016
  8. spapakons Win User

There is not necessary apart from freeing some disk space, but do it anyway to minimize the chances of conflict.

spapakons, Dec 21, 2016
  9. AddRAM Win User
    Technically, if you change the board you loose your digital license.

Changing a MB is the only component that will cause you to loose your license, (of course not a Retail license)

But as mentioned the worse thing you`ll have to do is make a phone call. Or maybe even the automated call will work, it`s whatever the screen tells you to do *Smile

AddRAM, Dec 21, 2016
  10. spapakons Win User
    I work in a Computer Store as a Technician and I have seen many cases when the original motherboard just dies and we have not the same model to replace it. In that case we put the closer model (in terms of chipset and other components) we can find (sometimes from different manufacturer) and all we have to do is to update the drivers and reactivate Windows. If the automatic activation fails, we call Microsoft Support, follow the onscreen instructions and do the activation. If this is the second time the specific license is activated, we are not asked any questions about it, the activation code is given upon completing typing the onscreen code. The only case we have been asked is when is more than twice the same license is activated. And in that case the question is if the same license is used on another computer. We simply press the relevant selection for no, and we are given the activation code. So do not worry about it. The worse it can happen is to lose a few minutes of your time to do activation by phone.

PS: If you cannot type fast enough, write the code down on a piece of paper and type it afterwards. If you miss a part you can press the relevant selection to hear the code again, but you start from the beginning, not quite convenient. I always make sure the cursor is at the first box and I'm ready to type before I press the relevant selection to begin announcing it. If you type it directly, make sure you make no mistakes.

spapakons, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Question regarding installation of W10 on a new PC with old drive - Similar Threads - Question regarding installation

2. Quick question regarding a W10 Pro to W11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick question regarding a W10 Pro to W11 upgrade: I have the notification that I can upgrade to W11 22H2 in updates services.I 'm currently running W10 Pro because I utilize Hyper-V.Does the upgrade to W11 22H2 automatically put me on the Pro version or does it dump me to Home?...
  3. Quick question regarding a W10 Pro to W11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick question regarding a W10 Pro to W11 upgrade: I have the notification that I can upgrade to W11 22H2 in updates services.I 'm currently running W10 Pro because I utilize Hyper-V.Does the upgrade to W11 22H2 automatically put me on the Pro version or does it dump me to Home?...
  4. New pc with old drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New pc with old drive: I Just installed windows onto my pc and I have an old drive with all my stuff. How can I open all my programs from my old drive because they are not appearing on windows?...
  5. Question regarding Reset this PC and C-Drive partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question regarding Reset this PC and C-Drive partition: I have around 600 GB in my C drive of which around 300 GB is free. I wanted to make a partition of 200 GB but due to some unmovable files, I can also split 24 GB. I talked to a cousin regarding using 3rd party partition software and he told me that some files in his PC were...
  6. New W10 install, old MB, no internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New W10 install, old MB, no internet: Hi all :) Recently installed W10 via the MS d/l tool (saved to a thumb drive from this W7 computer). The MB is an ASUS P6T from about 2009. Everything works as expected, save for my internet connectivity, of which I have none. So I went to the ASUS site, and d/l-ed the LAN...
  7. Old Software On New PC Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old Software On New PC Question: Hello, Just bought a new Dell desktop PC running W10. My old one, also a Dell, was running W7. I have some Dell disks from the old one that Dell supplied with it as a sort of backup. I would like to use this CD which has the full Corel suite on it, presumably, which...
  8. New W10 User - Group Policy Editor question regarding HW / SW

in Windows 10 Support
    New W10 User - Group Policy Editor question regarding HW / SW: Hello All, I'm a long time Mac user that has moved back to Windows 10 Pro. Version 1709 16299:371 I only have 1 Laptop however I have 2 user accounts which require VERY different configurations. I wont bore you with the specific hardware that I'm using in...
  9. Question about loading W10 on a new unformatted drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about loading W10 on a new unformatted drive: Hello all, My question is pretty straight forward. As soon as they are available, I plan to replace the Samsung 950 Pro in my desktop with a larger capacity 960 Pro. My computer is running UEFI BIOS. I used the Rufus media creation tool to create a bootable USB drive...
  10. The first of a few questions regarding installing W10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The first of a few questions regarding installing W10.: What needs completed: Remove Ubuntu 16.0.4 Install W10. Reinstall Ubuntu dual boot. First problem: Can not get into bios to change settings to boot from W10 DVD. The reason is, the HP logo comes and goes to fast. Any ideas on solving this? To be continued ater...