Windows 10: Question Regarding Ordering of Elements in autounattend.xml File

Discus and support Question Regarding Ordering of Elements in autounattend.xml File in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I ran into an odd issue trying to setup a machine with an unattended setup. Setup bombed very near the start saying that it could not load the disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hsehestedt, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Question Regarding Ordering of Elements in autounattend.xml File

I ran into an odd issue trying to setup a machine with an unattended setup. Setup bombed very near the start saying that it could not load the disk information (sorry, I neglected to capture the exact message).
    I double, triple, quadruple checked my autounattend.xml through Windows SIM but could find no error. Eventually I gave up and simply created a whole new autounattend.xml.

Comparing the two, I found a single line that was different (note that the 3rd and 4th lines are simply swapped):

Working xml file:

</ModifyPartition>
    <ModifyPartition wcm:action="add">
    <Order>3</Order>
    <PartitionID>3</PartitionID>
    </ModifyPartition>

Bad xml file:

</ModifyPartition>
    <ModifyPartition wcm:action="add">
    <PartitionID>3</PartitionID>
    <Order>3</Order>
    </ModifyPartition>

Note that I performed no manual manipulation of the files. This was done purely in Windows SIM.

So 2 questions:
    1) Is the order of the elements in the XML file supposed to this critical?
    2) Is this a known issue with SIM? I can't seem to find anything about this.

:)

hsehestedt, Oct 28, 2018

2. .xml file

I’m trying to find the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018 .xml file (keyword tags) in Windows 10.

I couldn’t import .xml files from the Elements 2018 Organizer. When I clicked on the Imported Files Map.xml in the MyCatalog/WatchFolder, I received a message Invalid XML Keyword Tag Set: "The specified file does not contain a valid keyword tag set or
    it was not readable."

KrystleStewart-Hendry, Oct 28, 2018
  3. Problem when opening a XML file

Hi Roberto - From another source I received a suggestion to open the offending file in Wordpad and to save it as an Office Open XML document which would have an extension of '.xml.doc' then remove the '.doc' part

That idea unfortunately hasn't worked for me. Having saved the file as suggested I then tried to open it. In Internet Explorer and MS Edge I get a completely blank page. In Notepad, Wordpad or Office XML Handler (which uses Notepad) I just get unintelligible
    "mumbo jumbo". In XML Notepad it states "Data at the root level is invalid Line 1 Position 1 and asks if I wish to open it using Notepad. Answering yes just results in "mumbo jumbo" as before.

The file only opens correctly in Word 2016, (i.e. showing all the elements etc.) but if I try to open any of the other XML files using Word, I get a message that "The file contains custom XML elements that are no longer supported in Word. Saving the fie will
    remove these elements permanently", and only the data for each element is shown for these files and there is no sign of the various elements themselves.

Don't know if any of the above gives some indication of what is wrong, but it's all very frustrating . Can't help feeling that it is something very simple! I would stress that the other four xml files used by the program all open properly in a Edge window

Peternosmas, Oct 28, 2018
  4. Question Regarding Ordering of Elements in autounattend.xml File

Problem when opening a XML file

I have a small program, which uses a number of xml files. The program is not working properly and I suspect that is due to a problem with one of the xml files. When I click on any except one of those files it opens in a MS Edge (the default Windows 10
    browser) window and all the elements, sub-elements, data and closing tags can be seen and read. Clicking on the problem file opens it in Edge BUT only shows the Root element, followed by the first element (called Appointment) then a large (vertical) space
    then another Appointment first element. There are (correctly) 25 of these Appointment elements and NO closing tags for them OR the Root element. However, clicking on ANY of the first Appointment elements immediately causes all the missing lines to be displayed
    – i.e. various other elements and their data and closing tags and also the closing tag for the Root element.
    The file thus displayed is a perfectly normal xml file and it seems that there is something (possibly damage/corruption) that is prohibiting it from opening properly in the first place. Opening the xml file in Excel 2016 then saving as another name has
    no effect on its behaviour. Any thoughts please as to the cause and way to correct.

Peternosmas, Oct 28, 2018
Thema:

Question Regarding Ordering of Elements in autounattend.xml File

1. Question Regarding Ordering of Elements in autounattend.xml File - Similar Threads - Question Regarding Ordering

2. download .xml file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    download .xml file: I am unable to download .xml files and changing the setting doesn't work/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-xml-file/e09a3a25-3436-4466-8f2a-918f6ece0a21
  3. a question regarding itunes files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    a question regarding itunes files: i was looking through my album artwork folder and inside of it were a bunch of folders with names like cache and customs and cloud and so on. i was hoping to get an explanation as to what these are? i’ve opened them and they just list a bunch of random numbers. any help would...
  4. XML Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    XML Files: Hi folks! Just registered to this forum and glad to have found it. So I was installing Ubuntu on my computer which already had windows 10.I wanted to have a dual OS. Things went south and windows got deleted/ over written or whatever. I used a hard drive recovery device to...
  5. Creating autounattend

Creating autounattend: Hi all, i have this issue while trying to install win 10 on my elitepad tablet. It boots up but i am unable to touch anything. Because usb hub cost stupid +200$ i though of creating unattend.xml file. But to my surprise it dont work. Does anyone of you have tips or...
  6. Windows 10 autounattend xml installation problem

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows 10 autounattend xml installation problem: Hi guys, I have a problem with autounattend XML install. Basically, I have a Windows image that is downloaded from MS and edited to skip all steps for setup. The windows boots and wipe the hard drive created partitions, select language, and created one admin account with the...
  7. Windows 10 autounattend xml installation problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 autounattend xml installation problem: Hi guys, I have a problem with autounattend XML install. Basically, I have a Windows image that is downloaded from MS and edited to skip all steps for setup. The windows boots and wipe the hard drive created partitions, select language, and created one admin account with the...
  8. Questions regarding the Windows 10 ISO file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions regarding the Windows 10 ISO file: Yes yes indeed! I want to download the Windows 10 ISO file. Question: when I do that, does it download the full install, so when ever I need to do an In-Place repair, I don't have to download the whole thing all over again? Also, can I install this on another Drive other...
  9. Autounattend help

Autounattend help: Hi! I'm trying to use the autounattend.xml file for the first time and I have some questions about it. The first question is why the privacy settings appear twice (it appears before login with the created user, and after logon with that user). The second question is why my...
  10. Specify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File

Specify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File: Hi, I have a start and taskbar modification .xml file that is used with group policy for users and everything is working fine. The only issue is that regardless of the order I specified, Microsoft Edge and File Explorer always end up on the left. Every other icon respects...