Windows 10: Question Regarding Ordering of Elements in autounattend.xml File

Discus and support Question Regarding Ordering of Elements in autounattend.xml File in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I ran into an odd issue trying to setup a machine with an unattended setup. Setup bombed very near the start saying that it could not load the disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hsehestedt, Oct 28, 2018.

1. hsehestedt Win User

Question Regarding Ordering of Elements in autounattend.xml File

I ran into an odd issue trying to setup a machine with an unattended setup. Setup bombed very near the start saying that it could not load the disk information (sorry, I neglected to capture the exact message).
    I double, triple, quadruple checked my autounattend.xml through Windows SIM but could find no error. Eventually I gave up and simply created a whole new autounattend.xml.

Comparing the two, I found a single line that was different (note that the 3rd and 4th lines are simply swapped):

Working xml file:

</ModifyPartition>
    <ModifyPartition wcm:action="add">
    <Order>3</Order>
    <PartitionID>3</PartitionID>
    </ModifyPartition>

Bad xml file:

</ModifyPartition>
    <ModifyPartition wcm:action="add">
    <PartitionID>3</PartitionID>
    <Order>3</Order>
    </ModifyPartition>

Note that I performed no manual manipulation of the files. This was done purely in Windows SIM.

So 2 questions:
    1) Is the order of the elements in the XML file supposed to this critical?
    2) Is this a known issue with SIM? I can't seem to find anything about this.

:)

hsehestedt, Oct 28, 2018
  2. KrystleStewart-Hendry Win User

.xml file

I’m trying to find the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018 .xml file (keyword tags) in Windows 10.

I couldn’t import .xml files from the Elements 2018 Organizer. When I clicked on the Imported Files Map.xml in the MyCatalog/WatchFolder, I received a message Invalid XML Keyword Tag Set: "The specified file does not contain a valid keyword tag set or
    it was not readable."

KrystleStewart-Hendry, Oct 28, 2018
  3. Peternosmas Win User
    Problem when opening a XML file

Hi Roberto - From another source I received a suggestion to open the offending file in Wordpad and to save it as an Office Open XML document which would have an extension of '.xml.doc' then remove the '.doc' part

That idea unfortunately hasn't worked for me. Having saved the file as suggested I then tried to open it. In Internet Explorer and MS Edge I get a completely blank page. In Notepad, Wordpad or Office XML Handler (which uses Notepad) I just get unintelligible
    "mumbo jumbo". In XML Notepad it states "Data at the root level is invalid Line 1 Position 1 and asks if I wish to open it using Notepad. Answering yes just results in "mumbo jumbo" as before.

The file only opens correctly in Word 2016, (i.e. showing all the elements etc.) but if I try to open any of the other XML files using Word, I get a message that "The file contains custom XML elements that are no longer supported in Word. Saving the fie will
    remove these elements permanently", and only the data for each element is shown for these files and there is no sign of the various elements themselves.

Don't know if any of the above gives some indication of what is wrong, but it's all very frustrating . Can't help feeling that it is something very simple! I would stress that the other four xml files used by the program all open properly in a Edge window

Peternosmas, Oct 28, 2018
  4. Peternosmas Win User

Problem when opening a XML file

I have a small program, which uses a number of xml files. The program is not working properly and I suspect that is due to a problem with one of the xml files. When I click on any except one of those files it opens in a MS Edge (the default Windows 10
    browser) window and all the elements, sub-elements, data and closing tags can be seen and read. Clicking on the problem file opens it in Edge BUT only shows the Root element, followed by the first element (called Appointment) then a large (vertical) space
    then another Appointment first element. There are (correctly) 25 of these Appointment elements and NO closing tags for them OR the Root element. However, clicking on ANY of the first Appointment elements immediately causes all the missing lines to be displayed
    – i.e. various other elements and their data and closing tags and also the closing tag for the Root element.
    The file thus displayed is a perfectly normal xml file and it seems that there is something (possibly damage/corruption) that is prohibiting it from opening properly in the first place. Opening the xml file in Excel 2016 then saving as another name has
    no effect on its behaviour. Any thoughts please as to the cause and way to correct.

Peternosmas, Oct 28, 2018
Thema:

1. Question Regarding Ordering of Elements in autounattend.xml File - Similar Threads - Question Regarding Ordering

2. how to convert the txt file into xml file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to convert the txt file into xml file: I have used the application for conversion txt into xml file but when I convert it is showing an error that is something called as no program to convert it what should I do for conversion .But I know that it is silly question but it is part of my seeking the knowledge...
  3. xml

in Windows 10 Customization
    xml: what is xml and how can I modify it. My windows media player was working alright then it stopped. When I did troubleshooting, I was told a software has changed the XML to SXL. Any help?...
  4. question regarding error below

in Windows 10 Customization
    question regarding error below: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM Date: 9/4/18 17:25:22 Event ID: 10016 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: SYSTEM Computer: DDS Description: The application-specific permission...
  5. Question regards with this error message

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Question regards with this error message: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY (be) Please clarify this message for better knowledge , and what can be the trouble shooting steps that can fix the issue. all my drivers are up to date same goes to bios...
  6. .net Missing .xml Files

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    .net Missing .xml Files: After Windows installed the recent major build, now when I try to open a module in Access Windows installer opens and tries to reinstall access. I wound it is caused by missing xml files in the Microsoft.net folder that MzTools uses in Access. MzTools is an Access Add-in....
  7. Question Regarding Bluetooth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question Regarding Bluetooth: Hi guys. Just a quick question as i can't seem to find an answer on the web. I'm on latest November build for W10 Pro and Bluetooth is automatically on with no option to toggle it on or off. I've turned off the Bluetooth services etc but still it won't go off. Bit unsure why...
  8. Qurious question regarding NT

in Windows 10 Support
    Qurious question regarding NT: Hey there, a mate of mine asked me this question and truly speaking I do not know the answer, therefore I am putting it to you guys for help. What version of NT would Win 10 be, this statement being based on the past facts that Windows XP was based on NT version 4 etc. So...
  9. Question regarding upgrade options.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question regarding upgrade options.: So this has been a nightmare for me. I always prefer a clean installation but this seems almost impossible unless you buy the product. This will be my 4th attempt at Win10. The first time I did the "Refresh my pc" option after I upgraded. It corrupted in the middle lost it...
  10. Question regarding upgrade path

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question regarding upgrade path: This question may be way early... but I'll ask anyway. *Smile Is it known whether the upgrade path from Windows 7 or 8 to 10 will include the option of a clean install? I have, in the past, always done clean installs rather than OS upgrades and much prefer it this way. The...