Windows 10: Question regarding sudden loss of ability to drag anything.

Discus and support Question regarding sudden loss of ability to drag anything. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 on my HP desktop. I was rearranging two internet tabs on Microsoft Edge to more easily switch between the two. Immediately following... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DZThorne, Jun 16, 2018.

1. DZThorne Win User

Question regarding sudden loss of ability to drag anything.

I have Windows 10 on my HP desktop. I was rearranging two internet tabs on Microsoft Edge to more easily switch between the two. Immediately following this action, I lost the ability to move tabs or drag anything on my computer.

If I click and drag any internet tabs, files/tabs upon my desktop screen, or files within other destinations or folders absolutely nothing happens. I click and drag and there is no reaction from the computer. I can still click and open things no problem, and save as to put something in a location. But cannot drag anything period.

This happened about three days. I have not experienced this before, and did not see any threads that were the same issue on the couple pages I checked. The few threads I did search were partial loss rather than full loss of the dragging mechanism.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

:)

DZThorne, Jun 16, 2018

2. file explorer - cant drag to second window

Hi,

There are several factors that may trigger this issue including your settings or even recent changes to your computer. In order for us to efficiently assist you, we just have few questions
    for you:

• Were there any changes made to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say you cannot drag file explorer on the "second Windows", are you referring to a second monitor?

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Regards.

Darian Tab, Jun 16, 2018
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Question regarding sudden loss of ability to drag anything. :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jun 16, 2018
  4. Yolvi Ell Win User

Dragging apps to desktop for shortcuys

Hi Lance,

It's possible that some settings are preventing you from adding shortcuts to the desktop. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
    • Does this happen when you try dragging all apps to the desktop, or just a specific app?
    • Are you using an administrator account?
    • Is your computer connected to a private domain?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As an initial recommendation, we suggest following these steps as a workaround:

• Right-click on any empty part of the desktop.
    • Click New > Shortcut.
    • Navigate to the folder location of the app you want and select it.
    • Click OK.

We look forward to your response and the result of the initial troubleshooting.

Yolvi Ell, Jun 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Question regarding sudden loss of ability to drag anything. - Similar Threads - Question regarding sudden

2. Windows 11 and ability to drag apps to desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 and ability to drag apps to desktop: I'd like to be able to drag my Office Products Word, PP, Excel, etc. to the desktop. I can't seem to do this - it turns into a link on a browser when I do Bing. Is there a workaround? I read that Windows 11 doesn't have this capability, which seems ridiculous since Windows 10...
  3. Windows 11 and ability to drag apps to desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 and ability to drag apps to desktop: I'd like to be able to drag my Office Products Word, PP, Excel, etc. to the desktop. I can't seem to do this - it turns into a link on a browser when I do Bing. Is there a workaround? I read that Windows 11 doesn't have this capability, which seems ridiculous since Windows 10...
  4. sudden file loss

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sudden file loss: Sudden file loss after May windows update. Slideshow background option unresponsive. Is my file structure corrupted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sudden-file-loss/529abc34-b51e-441b-b70c-03f9c4ada01b
  5. sudden file loss

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sudden file loss: Sudden file loss after May windows update. Slideshow background option unresponsive. Is my file structure corrupted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sudden-file-loss/529abc34-b51e-441b-b70c-03f9c4ada01b
  6. sudden file loss

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Sudden loss of audio

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sudden loss of audio: Was on youtube,everything's fine,then bam,no audio,and I checked all the normal things you might think of,there was no intervention or modification on my part,and the device manager says everything is okay,so what is it? submitted by /u/Salt-Pattern-1917 [link] [comments]...
  8. Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer: Hello, I am trying to get some help from a legit source for this problem. A few weeks ago I noticed that I can no longer Drag & Drop files within File Explorer. I have tried going into Task Manager and then clicking "End Process Tree" and then restarting File Explorer....
  9. Cannot click and drag anything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot click and drag anything: I cannot click and drag anything. I cannot select multiple items, such as text or icons. I cannot move windows on the screen. I have checked my settings, installed the specific driver for my mouse, and have even done a full reinstall of Windows. The problem still persists....
  10. Drag function not working for anything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Drag function not working for anything: This is getting to be incredibly frustrating. The drag function does not work for literally anything. Want to make a photo bigger in word? Have to manually type it in. Want to pull a tab out to make a new window? HAHA you can't! Want to pull a file on to your desktop, well...