Windows 10: Question regarding TEMP/TMP default location

Discus and support Question regarding TEMP/TMP default location in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I was wondering if it's alright or not a good idea to change the path of TEMP/TMP folder? I have SSD(C) as my OS and apps like PS, Maya etc. and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vermillion, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Question regarding TEMP/TMP default location

Hi, I was wondering if it's alright or not a good idea to change the path of TEMP/TMP folder? I have SSD(C) as my OS and apps like PS, Maya etc. and HDD(D) to just store things and apps that performance is not really concerned. I had Win7 before recently upgraded to Win10 and had those tmp directory path set to D: thinking it would help reducing writing to SSD but now the paths changed back to default after upgraded so I take this chance to ask.

:)

Vermillion, Dec 6, 2017
  2. Hydranix Win User

Committed Memory full but RAM has empty space?

Do you use a RAMDisk, particularly to house your %TMP% and %TEMP% directories?
    If not, do you use the default %TMP% and %TEMP% locations?

Hydranix, Dec 6, 2017
  3. iMarbot Win User
    Committed Memory full but RAM has empty space?

I don't have a RAMDisk, so I don't think so. When I type %TMP% it takes me to /AppData/Local/Temp , I don't know if that is the default location.

iMarbot, Dec 6, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Question regarding TEMP/TMP default location

I wouldn't bother. Even in 2014 you could, on average, write hundreds of TB or even a few PB before disk failure.

Grueling endurance test blows away SSD durability fears | PCWorld

1PB is 300GB a day for ten years - or alternatively you could clean install Windows (which is 4GB) every day for 720 years.

Location of temp files will make no difference.

Most likely you will replace your SSD (and HDD) way before this happens for being too small or slow, not because of failure.

Back it up for sure but no need to avoid using it out fear of writing too much - you wont (unless you really try hard) be able to.

5. I agree with lx07.

Just use your ssd and enjoy it.
    Reading old articles don't help much.
    Today's ssd's work quite well and on the most part and for a long time.

The number one problem people have with ssd's is they buy one to small.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 13, 2017
  6. x509 Win User
    I always assign my tmp/temp locations to a new C:\temp directory. I back up most of the C:\Programs partition so I can do a restore if/when necessary. I exclude C:\temp from that backup. Almost by design, you don't want to back up temp files.

7. Before I do a Clone/Backup I use Disk Cleanup and Ccleaner.
    I also do security scans before making a Clone/Backup.

What ever temps are still there Windows 10 wants to keep so I don't think their is a problem.

Jack

Layback Bear, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Question regarding TEMP/TMP default location

1. Question regarding TEMP/TMP default location - Similar Threads - Question regarding TEMP

2. regarding location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    regarding location: I'm trying to open my location for use in an desktop app but it is not opening sometimes get opened but most of the time create problem in one attempt not openedI'm trying again& again then also cheked location setting but I couldn't settle the problemwhat should I do...
  3. regarding location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    regarding location: I'm trying to open my location for use in an desktop app but it is not opening sometimes get opened but most of the time create problem in one attempt not openedI'm trying again& again then also cheked location setting but I couldn't settle the problemwhat should I do...
  4. Big .tmp files in %temp%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Big .tmp files in %temp%: Hi, recently I noticed that i need more space on my C: drive and I found a lot of big .tmp files in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp folder [from 500MB to 800MB]. The problem is that the Windows is showing 16GB of Temp files, but disk cleanup can delete only 25MB, Any...
  5. Tmp files/folders in C:\Windows\Temp

in Windows 10 Support
    Tmp files/folders in C:\Windows\Temp: I was recently looking in C:\Windows\Temp and found many (hundreds) of folders in this directory. These folders each contains a file called "tmp00000000", these files are zero length. The folders in Windows\Temp are all in the form "tmp00000xxx" or "tmp0000xxxx", where...
  6. What uses Tmp and temp?

in Windows 10 Support
    What uses Tmp and temp?: The Windows OS uses those folders. In the old days, you could safely delete anything in those folders as it didn't matter. Now days, I'm pretty sure Windows 10 will monitor delete and update as necessary. 148332
  7. Different temp location

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Different temp location: What's the difference between C/windows/temp Vs Appdata/local/temp Experts reply it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-temp-location/643dd8a4-36f4-4d3f-b66d-eabe2e01f6e7"
  8. location of temp folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    location of temp folder: I keep being notified by just about everything that my "temp" folder has gone walkabout. Where does it belong? Sam https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/location-of-temp-folder/9ca1783e-6abd-4fc1-9ab9-48822fdd507c
  9. Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp: Hello Should I be deleting .tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp? If so, when I try, I get a message saying I need administrator permission. As a user, I am an administrator. Even if I log on as "Administrator," I get the same message saying I need administrator approval. I...
  10. CPU Temp Questions

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU Temp Questions: Hi All I checked with RealTemp GT (believe is multi core part of it) was going up to the High 70's and 80's, Ambient Temp of apartment around 75F (room doesn't feel hot to myself, just comfy) Running Windows Defender for moment, (not sure if that could raise the temps or...