Windows 10: Question regarding upgrade path

Discus and support Question regarding upgrade path in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This question may be way early... but I'll ask anyway. *Smile Is it known whether the upgrade path from Windows 7 or 8 to 10 will include the option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dumhed, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Dumhed Win User

Question regarding upgrade path

This question may be way early... but I'll ask anyway. *Smile

Is it known whether the upgrade path from Windows 7 or 8 to 10 will include the option of a clean install? I have, in the past, always done clean installs rather than OS upgrades and much prefer it this way. The reason I ask is... old Windows 7 laptop is starting to have hardware issues. And I am debating about whether buy a new laptop now or wait until 10 is preinstalled for consumers on new machines. If I can clean install from 8 to 10, then I could conceivably just buy a new machine and change it to 10 when it is time. Or... I could put up with the problems my current machine has until I can get a computer that runs 10 cleanly.

Any thoughts?

:)

Dumhed, Mar 11, 2015

2. Questions regarding smoothest path to upgrade 8.1 to 10 with a new mobo/cpu

I have, currently, a windows 8.1 PC that is eligible for the upgrade to 10. I have been holding off on this though, because I have been planning to redo my PC and wanted to deal with all the changes at once. Well, now I'm ready to buy the new parts--one
    of them being the motherboard, moving to DDR4--and I want to know how I should go about the upgrade. I'll still be using the hard drive that has the upgrade files and the boot files on it, and I bought 8.1 OEM full when I built the PC originally. On the one
    hand, I could upgrade before I switch the motherboard. I understand that, when I switch the to the new one, I'll have to talk to support and straighten the situation out, but it seems like it'll work, if being a bit of a hassle. Could I instead start the new
    motherboard on 8.1, and then upgrade to 10?

RobertofTem, Mar 11, 2015
  3. Questions regarding smoothest path to upgrade 8.1 to 10 with a new mobo/cpu

Hi Robert,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the issue that you are currently facing, we will try the best we can to resolve your issue.

I suggest you to get your motherboard/hard drive replaced first and then reinstall Windows 7/8.1 and then upgrade to Windows 10.

Also I would like to inform you that if you upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer and then made significant hardware changes to your device, such as replacing the motherboard,
    Windows 10 might no longer be activated.

You may refer the article to know how to reactivate Windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/950929

Hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Mar 11, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

First question I think I would ask of you is what kind of hardware issues are you having??

BunnyJ, Mar 11, 2015
  5. Dumhed Win User
    I suppose it matters whether my hardware issues are things I can live with.... though it doesn't address the question of upgrade path. Still... here are a few:

- Dead pixels on screen.
    - Mouse track pad stops responding. (external mouse is fine).
    - Speakers don't work at all. (headphones work)
    - Battery doesn't hold charge. (I can get a new battery... just haven't done it yet.)
    - Right Shift key not responsive.
    - Some sort of GPU problem (discrete GPU), which randomly freezes entire computer when watching video or playing games (of all different file types). It doesn't happen a lot. I've tried all sorts of things for this one... including driver updates, mem tests, graphics load tests, I've wiped and reinstalled OS. I have good malware protection and scan/test frequently. But even after clean install and updating of graphics drivers, bios update, etc etc , the problem still occurs. I've been with Dell customer support on this. They also suggest it is a hardware problem.

I suppose somewhat related... I do have a desktop that works perfectly. But, since it is not portable, I don't use it as often. The laptop is over 5 years old now. So... it's seen better days.

Dumhed, Mar 12, 2015
  6. Winuser Win User
    I doubt upgrading your OS with a clean install will help. Sounds to me like your going to need a new laptop in the near future.

Winuser, Mar 12, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    If it were me I would get a new laptop either with WIn8.1 or wait for Win10. Yours needs to be put out to pasture.

BunnyJ, Mar 12, 2015
  8. adamf Win User

You can enter a 8 Pro key in 10 (at the moment) but not a standard 8 key or 7 keys. So at the moment you can only clean install if you have a 8.1 Pro key. Whether it will be possible to upgrade other versions to 10, save your activation and then clean install and restore your activation back is not clear but probably it will be possible.

You could test it and see using this utility Windows Diagnostic Tool (WDT) to save/restore activation on 10 but of course things could change before RTM.

adamf, Mar 12, 2015
  9. Dumhed Win User
    thanks adamf. That's the closest to what I was looking for. I know that this computer is... ready for the grave. So, upgrading this one is not worth considering. The main thing is whether I should stick it out with this one until I can get a 10 machine with a clean install or just go buy a new 8.1 pro one and upgrade. For some reason, upgrading instead of clean installing has always seemed undesirable. But maybe it is better now than it was back in the day when upgrading left all sorts of junk from the old OS. Of course, if this machine croaks completely, then my decision will be straightforward. :/

At the present, with a 8.1 pro key, you can clean install by downloading the iso and activating with the pro key? And the assumption is that you will be able to do this in the future as well, yes?

Dumhed, Mar 12, 2015
  10. adamf Win User
    Yes at the moment that works. I don't know if it will continue to be the case but I expect so. In the past there have always been workarounds allowing clean installs with upgrade keys. MS have said that it is their intention to allow upgrade from preview to RTM so even if I can't do another clean install I don't expect to have to dust off my 8.1 backup.

If I was in your position I wouldn't wait - it would annoy me too much. In the very worst situation you could do a clean install of 8.1 and upgrade that and the this would replace the windows directory anyway.

adamf, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Question regarding upgrade path - Similar Threads - Question regarding upgrade

2. A question regarding BIOS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A question regarding BIOS: Hi , Good evening! I am having a problem with my windows 10 bios HP pavilion laptop. My bios doesnt have the advanced tab and whenever i follow a tutorial from google or YouTube it always plays a beep sound. Any help will be appreciated and please tell me how i can unlock the...
  3. Quick question regarding a W10 Pro to W11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick question regarding a W10 Pro to W11 upgrade: I have the notification that I can upgrade to W11 22H2 in updates services.I 'm currently running W10 Pro because I utilize Hyper-V.Does the upgrade to W11 22H2 automatically put me on the Pro version or does it dump me to Home?...
  4. Quick question regarding a W10 Pro to W11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick question regarding a W10 Pro to W11 upgrade: I have the notification that I can upgrade to W11 22H2 in updates services.I 'm currently running W10 Pro because I utilize Hyper-V.Does the upgrade to W11 22H2 automatically put me on the Pro version or does it dump me to Home?...
  5. Question regarding taskbar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question regarding taskbar: I currently have a three monitor setup and I only want two taskbar, is it possible to do that in Window? submitted by /u/ToSaKuMiRK [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/krb8o2/question_regarding_taskbar/
  6. Upgrade Path Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade Path Question: Trying to understand my upgrade path. I'm currently on 1909 . . . [img] In May of 2021 that version will be at end of life. At that point, will I need to first upgrade to 2004 and then again to 20H2, or if I decide to take the plunge, can I go directly from 1909 to 20H2?...
  7. Win 10 LTSB upgrade 'path' question.

Win 10 LTSB upgrade 'path' question.: Hello Everyone , Like most businesses we are on Stable Win 7 pro. Question in regards to Win 10 Enterprise LTSB. If we install Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB - What happens when LTSB 2019 comes out ? There is NO upgrade path right ?.. LTSB is a world among itself ?.. (...
  8. Question Regarding Forced Upgrades

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question Regarding Forced Upgrades: The clowns at Microsoft live chat (poor source) claim this is possible, so I thought I'd check here. The latest version of Windows 10 Pro, of course, is 1709. Can I set it up so the next build of Windows 10 Pro doesn't get downloaded and installed, but I still get the...
  9. Question Regarding Bluetooth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question Regarding Bluetooth: Hi guys. Just a quick question as i can't seem to find an answer on the web. I'm on latest November build for W10 Pro and Bluetooth is automatically on with no option to toggle it on or off. I've turned off the Bluetooth services etc but still it won't go off. Bit unsure why...
  10. Question regarding upgrade options.

Question regarding upgrade options.: So this has been a nightmare for me. I always prefer a clean installation but this seems almost impossible unless you buy the product. This will be my 4th attempt at Win10. The first time I did the "Refresh my pc" option after I upgraded. It corrupted in the middle lost it...