Windows 10: Question regarding Windows 10 clean install!

Discus and support Question regarding Windows 10 clean install! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all, I was wondering whether Windows 10 installs any hardware related drivers of its own at any point during a clean installation. A while back I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ronweasley101, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Question regarding Windows 10 clean install!

Hi all, I was wondering whether Windows 10 installs any hardware related drivers of its own at any point during a clean installation. A while back I did a clean install on my wife's Surface Pro 6 and saved a system image using Macrium Reflect as soon as it was done, without any driver packages or windows updates installed. Can I just migrate that image onto any other laptop? I know people usually advise to do clean OS installs due to dissimilar hardware issues, but does that apply to a "clean" system image as well? Does Windows 10 still install any kind of hardware drivers of its own during installation?

:)

ronweasley101, Sep 27, 2019
  2. kajson Win User

Win 10 clean install question

So I spend the day yesterday installing the computer, using a prepared usb key with windows 10 on it.

I got it all sorted in the end but I'll share my fails anyways so others might learn:

Do not try to do a clean install win with win 10 home N, when you come from a machine with just win 10 home. It won't activate *Wink Question regarding Windows 10 clean install! ;) After reinstalling with the right copy, it was already activated right away after the first boot, didn't even have to initialise it.

There hasn't changed a whole lot in making clean install compared to older versions of windows, it's slightly better streamlined, though being asked at 3 different stages to enter a product key when it's not needed during install seems a bit annoying.

Further more it would be lovely if Microsoft finally learned to ask ALL questions regarding preferences updates and whatnot in one go, so you can then go away from your computer and come back to a fully installed/updated system including reboots.. Not impossible I would say.

There's still some little bugs, like when I installed realtek audio drivers, they'd go into an infinite loop asking for reboot and install the driver. And as a PDF reader isn't in the list of standard programs to select, foxitreader keeps saying it is not the default reader for pdf's even though I had said yes to the question 3x. If this fails to get file associations for PDF's I do hope Microsoft will fix this asap.

Thanks for the fast answers earlier guys, it gave me the confidence that all would be well, even when I cocked up the first install with the N version.

kajson, Sep 27, 2019
  3. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Sep 27, 2019
  4. Question regarding Windows 10 clean install!

Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Sep 27, 2019
Thema:

Question regarding Windows 10 clean install!

1. Question regarding Windows 10 clean install! - Similar Threads - Question regarding clean

2. Fresh Windows Install regarding question.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh Windows Install regarding question.: In my laptop win11 is already install in HDD, I will install one SSD and use as Dual Storage Configuration. In that SSD I want to fresh install Win11, in this process will I loose my data in HDD, if I do not remove the HDD from Laptop during fresh Windows install?...
  3. Fresh Windows Install regarding question.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh Windows Install regarding question.: In my laptop win11 is already install in HDD, I will install one SSD and use as Dual Storage Configuration. In that SSD I want to fresh install Win11, in this process will I loose my data in HDD, if I do not remove the HDD from Laptop during fresh Windows install?...
  4. Regarding windows 10 clean installation.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Regarding windows 10 clean installation.: Hello sir, I am vaibhav, due to virus issue i was trying to install windows 10 clean installation but while installation when it reaches partition page it shows [ATTACH] This error i dont know what to do... i have dell laptop vostro 3558. I have deleted partition by...
  5. Question regarding windows 10

Question regarding windows 10: I am running an hp PC with windows 10 running in it And facing some issues I wan't to do a system restore But the problem is that if I do it then I will get back to windows 8 as it was my original os and I upgraded it to windows 10 during free update period ... So the...
  6. question regarding windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    question regarding windows 10: Is there any App (preferably free) that will work with Windows 10 that can create photo collages.?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-regarding-windows-10/6413a3cf-7b66-4c46-9ae8-4fcae635c385
  7. Clean install question

Clean install question: About to do a clean install on a PC that has 10 on it and activated. It was a windows 7 machine that had the free 10 offer installed. Will it activate when the clean install is complete? I thought the key was embedded but not sure. When I get to where to install it, can I...
  8. Windows 10 Activation / Question regarding clean install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation / Question regarding clean install: So i have just upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro, i had/have a legal Windows 7 Pro license key that came with my laptop and it activated Windows 7 just fine. Windows 10 however will not activate, i already read that this might be possible due to the activation...
  9. Some questions regarding clean installation of Windows 10

Some questions regarding clean installation of Windows 10: I have looked at this guide: Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums But I am still a bit confused regarding the part to choose "where you want to install Windows 10" When at the screen showing you the different hard drive partitions, I still have no idea what to...
  10. Question Regarding Raid & fresh clean install of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Question Regarding Raid & fresh clean install of Windows 10: Hello, I recently did the upgrade and update to windows 10 pro. I am happy with it and all is OK. What I am wondering, Is I need to do a clean install. So, I currently have a raid set up on it and I did not set it up. The great thing is the upgrade/update kept all my...