Windows 10: Question - when does free upgrade STOP -- is it local time 23.59

Discus and support Question - when does free upgrade STOP -- is it local time 23.59 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there I've done my upgrading (using old technet keys etc) but just curious - when does Ms put the brakes on free upgrade --is it 23.59.59 in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Jul 27, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Question - when does free upgrade STOP -- is it local time 23.59

Hi there

I've done my upgrading (using old technet keys etc) but just curious - when does Ms put the brakes on free upgrade --is it 23.59.59 in Redmond Seattle or is it 23.59.59 where you are located --or will there be a weekend grace as 29 jul is a Friday and from what I know about I.T tech guys a lot of them do things like server upgrades / hardware / software mods during weekends.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 27, 2016

2. what happens to my free copy of windows 10 after the initial free upgrade time period, if for some reason i need to do a fresh installation?

Stop misleading people and misinterpreting questions on purpose. He clearly asked about UPGRADE expiration and free upgrade time period DOES expire after 1 year. And then, if you need a clean install, you need to BUY THE LICENCE.

Nukainotas, Jul 27, 2016
  3. Labhoncho Win User
    Windows 10 Start Menu Stopped Working and Cortana is Gone

I upgraded my Windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10 a couple of months after the free upgrade was offered. There were no problems until a couple of days ago when there was a critical update waiting which was a major upgrade to Windows 10. The upgrade ran,
    restarted my computer, a Dell 8700 desktop, several times. When the upgrade was finished the start menu on my everyday local user account stopped working. Every time I tried to bring up the start menu, I got a critical error screen which forced me to sign
    out. The original admin account that I set up when Windows 10 was first installed works just fine, so does another local account used by another person. Once in awhile, the start menu will work for a time, then it will stop working. Cortana is also missing
    from the taskbar. There are so many people who have had similar problems with Windows 10, that I am considering reinstalling Windows 8.1, which did not give me any problems. Has anyone discovered a reliable solution to this problem?

Labhoncho, Jul 27, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jul 27, 2016
  5. EdTittel Win User
    From what BunnyJ's countdown clock shows, it's midnight Redmond Time tomorrow. THE END!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 27, 2016
  6. z3r010 Win User
    It's actually when I set up the timer to match the one on the Microsoft site, it's a couple of hours passed midnight Redmond.

z3r010, Jul 27, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Maybe we should start a new thread for new people to enroll and see who can be the last person to get the free upgrade Question - when does free upgrade STOP -- is it local time 23.59 :). It will be like an ebay auction - 95% of the bids will come in during the last 10 seconds.

NavyLCDR, Jul 27, 2016
  8. mrgeek Win User

NavyLCDR; that is TOO Funny; LOL

mrgeek, Jul 27, 2016
  9. Spike999 Win User
    Out of more curiousity....lets say you've downloaded but not yet installed? or are in the middle of a download or an install at the deadline but have not yet been authenticated?

Spike999, Jul 27, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Too bad. You have to be activated before the deadline.

NavyLCDR, Jul 27, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    Thanks for adding that John., It came in handy.

BunnyJ, Jul 27, 2016
  12. Spike999 Win User
    Thank You

Spike999, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Question - when does free upgrade STOP -- is it local time 23.59 - Similar Threads - Question does free

2. Question on Windows 10 free upgrade license.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question on Windows 10 free upgrade license.: I have an old machine that was originally running Windows 7 Pro(Retail) and I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro through the free upgrade process. I believe I tied it to an MS Account with my email, but cannot remember. I logged onto my account from another computer and see my...
  3. Window 10 Free Upgrade License Question

Window 10 Free Upgrade License Question: I have a few questions relating to the license terms for the Free Windows 10 Upgrade from 7. 1) Does the license require that Window 7 be replaced on the computer with Windows 10? For example, can I create an image of my existing Win 7 system, recover it to a second hard...
  4. technet activations & free Win 10 upgrade question

technet activations & free Win 10 upgrade question: I used to subscribe to Technet before Microsoft discontinued the program. I have a legal, retail, Windows 7 Premium package that was an upgrade to Vista. I just used one of my Technet Windows 7 Ultimate keys that I had saved from my Technet subscription to upgrade...
  5. Free upgrade to Windows 10 installation question

Free upgrade to Windows 10 installation question: To introduce myself, I am a 75 year old, grey haired wrinkly with a little computer knowledge but not too much. Please forgive me if this question seems trivial to some of you. Like many of you, I have the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10 and, I intend to do it once...
  6. Local Accounts - Upgrade Question

Local Accounts - Upgrade Question: I am building a new tower for my in-laws and nephews. As of now, they want to stay with Windows 7. I'm fine with that, and have a licenses for them. However, I would like to upgrade it to Windows 10 temporarily, to get their license activated. I will roll it back to Windows 7...
  7. Free upgrade question

in Windows 10 Support
    Free upgrade question: Hi, I have been reading the free upgrade FAQ on here and stuff on other sites but still unsure about one point. Once my PC has downloaded the files for doing the free upgrade do I have to perform the upgrade within the first year since Win 10 launch or can I do it at a later...
  8. Exact time when upgrade to windows 10 is no longer free?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Exact time when upgrade to windows 10 is no longer free?: Will the free offer expire at 12am 29th July or 11:59pm 29th July? Is it based on our local time zones or ET, etc? 57712
  9. Question About Free Upgrade To Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About Free Upgrade To Win10: I am confused about the one year free upgrade. Is it free as in upgrade for a year and it is yours to have forever? Or is it free for one year and then you have to pay even though you already upgraded? 5215
  10. Exactly when is the cutoff for the free upgrade?

in Windows 10 Support
    Exactly when is the cutoff for the free upgrade?: I have a small Dell desktop I bought new about a year ago and it came with 8.1. I know it's eligible for the 10 upgrade and it does have the "Get Windows 10" icon in the system tray. If 10 was launched on July 29 2015, does that mean I can do the install for free any...