Windows 10: Questions about M.2 Memory

Discus and support Questions about M.2 Memory in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I'm investigating what M.2 memory is all about and what is involved in getting it up and running. I've already learnt a lot in just browsing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TraceyW, Aug 20, 2019.

1. TraceyW Win User

Questions about M.2 Memory

Hi

I'm investigating what M.2 memory is all about and what is involved in getting it up and running. I've already learnt a lot in just browsing various websites that explain what it is.

At present though, my husband seems to be having problems running Trainz on his PC and it seems like a faster drive would be useful to say the least in overcoming those problems. Since he has a mobo with an M.2 M socket on it he could quite happily install an NVMe x4 into his PC to use for storing the files. One question though: once it is installed, does it appear in "This PC" in the same way as any other drive. If it does, presumably it can be used as pretty much a normal drive would be. Pretty elementary questions I know but I would prefer to know before I pay my money as we have some very big expenses coming up.

Oh! One other question about M.2 add-on cards. I wouldn't have thought you could expect the same improvement in speed from an M.2 adapter card as you would get from a socket on the mobo but what is the difference between the two and is it worth worrying about? The only reason I ask is that I don't have an M.2 socket on my mobo and I'm just wondering for future reference.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Tracey

PS As you can guess from the above I am not suggesting that my husband uses M.2 memory as a boot device.

:)

TraceyW, Aug 20, 2019

2. M.2 and SATA Express questions

Hi,

I just got a Gigabyte Z97-HD3P MB and I am confused by this statement - "SATA Express connector & M.2 slot can only be enabled one at a time".

2 questions -

• Can I use both a M.2 and SATA Express drive at the same time?
    • Can I use 2 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (1 M.2 and 1 SATA Express) in RAID 0?
    Thanks

Hawkstream, Aug 20, 2019
  3. Lagged Win User
    M.2 SSD not being able to boot from it, windows doesn't recognise.

Ok, this is what happened after all the comments and suggestions, @Dude: Thanx for the video, my mb had non e of those settings, it had the raid/option memory gene or achi. Can only choose one or the other. @Saltgrass, my settings did point out auto and enabled the pcie x4, gen 3. I did an bios flash as suggested, because my bios was not the latest version, after a reformat the m.2 was picked up, still cant install OS onto it as it states legacy not found, removed my dvd rom from the sata port to another, and the drive was found and installed. Only issue now is that it's still not my OS drive but it at least now works and is installed, but on the Intel rst drive the obtain memory gene option to enable is greyed out, and shows as disabled. However the program lists the M.2 and it is working 100%,. I installed overwhatch onto it, it performs perfectly. But will update the intel driver tonight and see if that makes any difference. Seems the bios flash enabled the settings listed by @Dude that was not present pre-flash.

So the m.2 drive works. I can game off it and install omnto it. Can not install windows on it, gene memmory is enabled, pcie x4 is on and on auto detect, Motherbaord lists all the drives connected, motherboard ahs been updated to latest bios. After flash new settings became available, m.2 is now on memmory gene enabled not achi, windows os is enabled and fast boost is enabled, intel rst is installed and lists all the ssds and the m.2, however the m.2 on memmory gene is dissabled and the option to enable is greyed out. Will update the driver as Essenbe suggested of the m.2 and see if anything changes. Thank you all for the help, I can now atleast use my m.2

Lagged, Aug 20, 2019
  4. Questions about M.2 Memory

looking for help with M.2 SSD compatability question, please

yeah, i went on theyre site and schecked the list, but then when i went looking for one to buy i noticed that they are listed in ways that Arent listed in that "support" page.

namely This....

M.2-2242
    M.2-2260
    M.2-2280

etc... listed as the SSD's "FORM" that is where my ignorance on the matter becomes a problem.i just rather ask once or twice, than order the wrong item, im sure you can understand that

jboydgolfer, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

Questions about M.2 Memory

1. Questions about M.2 Memory - Similar Threads - Questions Memory

2. Windows Security Health Service Memory Usage and Registry Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security Health Service Memory Usage and Registry Question: lately, the Windows Security Health Service process in Task Manager has been using the most memory out of all my other processes excluding Chrome on my Windows 10 22H2 PC. I want to preface that I have not done anything suspicious, downloaded anything, or visited any sited...
  3. Windows Security Health Service Memory Usage and Registry Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Security Health Service Memory Usage and Registry Question: lately, the Windows Security Health Service process in Task Manager has been using the most memory out of all my other processes excluding Chrome on my Windows 10 22H2 PC. I want to preface that I have not done anything suspicious, downloaded anything, or visited any sited...
  4. Windows Security Health Service Memory Usage and Registry Question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Question on Optimum CPU and Memory Requirements for 8000 users in Multipoints Server 2016

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question on Optimum CPU and Memory Requirements for 8000 users in Multipoints Server 2016: Dear Microsoft Support,I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to inquire about the optimal Multipoint server specifications and setup required to support a user base of approximately 8000 individuals. Additionally, I would like to highlight that we are...
  6. Question on Optimum CPU and Memory Requirements for 8000 users in Multipoints Server 2016

Question on Optimum CPU and Memory Requirements for 8000 users in Multipoints Server 2016: Dear Microsoft Support,I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to inquire about the optimal Multipoint server specifications and setup required to support a user base of approximately 8000 individuals. Additionally, I would like to highlight that we are...
  7. Hi i already know you can use a usb memory stick as a small drive. My question is can take...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi i already know you can use a usb memory stick as a small drive. My question is can take...: Hi i already know you can use a usb memory stick as a small drive. My question is can take that usb with a few games on it and transfer it to my laptop in a folder. to free up my usb. and then when i want to play transer the games i put on my laptop back to my usb to play...
  8. Hi i already know you can use a usb memory stick as a small drive. My question is can take...

Hi i already know you can use a usb memory stick as a small drive. My question is can take...: Hi i already know you can use a usb memory stick as a small drive. My question is can take that usb with a few games on it and transfer it to my laptop in a folder. to free up my usb. and then when i want to play transer the games i put on my laptop back to my usb to play...
  9. silly question about windows memory

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    silly question about windows memory: The other day my computer told me I was low on memory. I checked C: drive and it was like 100MB free. I rebooted and there were 10GB free. Then I used Firefox for awhile and it was down to 100MB free. I'm not downloading anything. Why does the harddrive disk space get used up...
  10. Windows Memory Diagnostic Question Mark Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Question Mark Problem: When I Start Windows Memory Diagnostic then They Open But Every Where Have Question Mark Exced Of numbers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-memory-diagnostic-question-mark-problem/0b92f910-5608-4d09-bfd1-b29a7570e7ec

Users found this page by searching for:

1. m.2 memory loc:US