Windows 10: Questions about moving to an SSD

Discus and support Questions about moving to an SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'd like to move my Windows to from an HDD to an SSD and thought it would be a good idea to do a fresh installation while I'm at it. It's my first time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Gexxys, Jan 4, 2020.

1. /u/Gexxys Win User

Questions about moving to an SSD

I'd like to move my Windows to from an HDD to an SSD and thought it would be a good idea to do a fresh installation while I'm at it. It's my first time doing this so I have a few questions I hope you can help me with.

What is the best way to do it, a bootable USB-drive?

Will Windows know it's the same device and accept my previous key? I won't change any hardware.

Will my previous HDD automatically get wiped or do I have to do it myself?

submitted by /u/Gexxys
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Gexxys, Jan 4, 2020
  2. Kursah Win User

SSD Crucial Bx 100 - rattling/vibrating. Possible?

This has been suggested several times already, and it has been suggested you try to move the SSD, remove it, or even suspend it in your case. Will you please try one of these?

If you don't understand vibration and resonance, please refer to @dorsetknob 's post above. *Smile Questions about moving to an SSD :) It has been explained that something else moving/vibrating (even if you don't think they're vibrating they are...), fans, hard disk drives, and anything with a motor will cause some form of vibration at certain frequencies. This can be transfered through your case's chassis and where you mounted your SSD could be reaching a certain frequency that causes it to slightly move and rattle against the case.

We are suggesting you take action and report back..you keep asking questions from step 1...we should be on step 4 by now...that is solution.

Try what has been suggested and report back please. Otherwise all you're doing is leading this thread in an endless circle and the help will stop shortly thereafter.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Jan 4, 2020
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Jan 4, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Microsoft Store Games Crash When Installed On SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please reply to the following questions to help you further:

• Have you installed Windows in SSD or in HDD?
    • How are you moving the applications to SSD?
    • What is the error code/message you get when the computer crashes?

In the meantime, I suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps in the article
    Fix problems with apps from Microsoft Storeand see
    if that helps in resolving the issue.

You can also, download the Chipset and Storage drivers from the manufacturer website of the motherboard and update them.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Questions about moving to an SSD - Similar Threads - Questions moving SSD

2. Question about moving Windows in new device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about moving Windows in new device: Hello guys i have a question im goin to buy my new pc and the new pc have Gen 4 nvme ssd 1tb and have windows install and on my old pc i have ssd 1tb and have windows istall also.My question is can i use my old ssd to me new pc with the windows istall in both???If i can can i...
  3. Question about moving Windows in new device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about moving Windows in new device: Hello guys i have a question im goin to buy my new pc and the new pc have Gen 4 nvme ssd 1tb and have windows install and on my old pc i have ssd 1tb and have windows istall also.My question is can i use my old ssd to me new pc with the windows istall in both???If i can can i...
  4. Question about new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about new SSD: Hi, I'll get straight to the point. I've been using my HDD for a long time now and I tried to update my windows and it just wont update. Not through the updater integrated in windows, the update asistant or even using the image tool ISO or direct Upgrade. It just keeps on...
  5. Question about moving licenses around

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about moving licenses around: Hey everyone! So I'm building a new computer and dreading having to buy for a Windows 10 key because I plan on selling my old computer. However, I still have an old laptop with Windows 8.1 on it with an active OEM license. Is it possible for me to upgrade that 8.1 license to...
  6. About M2 SSD Interface Question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    About M2 SSD Interface Question: I know that all devices MUST have an interface to talk with each other. So I got this M2 SSD drive from amazon (sorry now), and it's working fine. So far no problems and using it as a boot drive on a PC that was built 7 years ago and out of date. I'm using a shell script to...
  7. Question about buying a 2nd SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about buying a 2nd SSD: This would be considered for any HDD or SSD. Is there a way I can link the two drives together with the same drive letter or should I use MKLINK to create Links the second drive. Also I forget which type of link to use to directly store files to another location while not...
  8. Question about SSD RAID 0

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about SSD RAID 0: I have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I put in my personal laptop back in May. I also have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I just put in my desktop a couple weeks ago. I'm thinking about wiping both, and using both in my desktop for a RAID 0 configuration since I don't use my...
  9. Questions About Optimising SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Questions About Optimising SSD: Hi, I recently got a new windows 10 system with a 512 GB M.2 SSD and just got around to doing a defrag. I notice it's a bit of a different animal now, optimise seems to be the new defrag. I'm not very technically minded and I'm hoping to get some pointers. On my old HDD...
  10. Question About Defragmenting An SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About Defragmenting An SSD: So every time I open up Defraggler, I see so much fragmentation in the main drive, which is an SSD. I am already aware that defragmenting an SSD tends to shorten its life over a period of time. Yet when you "Optimize" an SSD, isn't that doing a same amount of harm on the...