Windows 10: Questions about the planned "Redstone" update roll-out

Discus and support Questions about the planned "Redstone" update roll-out in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I don't know when MS plans out rolling out the Redstone update, but will Redstone be pushed out from the built-in Windows 10 Updates or will I have to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by win10freak, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Questions about the planned "Redstone" update roll-out

I don't know when MS plans out rolling out the Redstone update, but will Redstone be pushed out from the built-in Windows 10 Updates or will I have to re-download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool again in order to have the Redstone update installed?

Please explain how to update to Redstone when it will be available.
    Will it just be pushed out from the built-in Windows Update section?
    Thanks

:)

win10freak, Jun 4, 2016
  2. 宇峰纪 Win User

What time released Windows Phone8.1 GDR1 official version?

Thank you very much for your answer,

My question is: When released version pushed to ordinary users,

not for developers.

宇峰纪, Jun 4, 2016
  3. hitch_11 Win User
    about " memory full . close ... " problem ! n97 and equalizer !

i dont have any problems of those u listed i exit frrom all applications when i finish ! well this means there is no solution so thanks a lot nokia Questions about the planned "Redstone" update roll-out :(

and about the music i was talking about the phone loudspeaker .. !

hitch_11, Jun 4, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Questions about the planned "Redstone" update roll-out

It should come thru Windows Update, most parts of it are already in Insiders version and all came thru WU but are full load of over 4 GB. Going by past experiences, it should replace most everything system wise but keep all of your programs (some exceptions may happen) and your data. Some settings you made since, may revert to default so they have to be done again.
    You can also make an ISO of full Rs1 from downloaded files so you can do clean install or repair disk. It will be full W10 with Rs1 included.
    Still, I am going to make full system backup using Macrium Reflect just prior to letting windows install new version, I do that before every full update. Anything bad happens and I'm back in business in 15 minutes.

CountMike, Jun 4, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Redstone will come out exactly the same as the November update did (and the actual upgrade to Windows 10 did before that). It will be a complete system upgrade pushed out by Windows Update. You will be able to make an ISO file from the ESD file that Windows Update downloads, and there will be ISO files available for direct download from Microsoft.

NavyLCDR, Jun 4, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    As the date for RS gets nearer, if you have show hidden files checked, you might see when Windows Update starts downloading it piece for piece. View Hidden files open your C: drive folder, and eventually before the upgrade, you will see $windows~BT and $windows~WS folders.
    Because of the large size of the download and the millions of Windows 10 users, I suspect/expect Microsoft will push it out piecemeal, "trickle uploading"(like trickle charging) to the users.

Cliff S, Jun 4, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Additionally, they will phase the updates to their ssrvers. The th2 update was mostly rolled out over several months.

Note : many people disabled stuff with questionable privacy tools and were unable to upgrade as a result without downloading the isos.

Iso downloading and upgrading has proven to be more reliable than auto upgrading.

cereberus, Jun 4, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

I roll my own ISO anyway, as soon as download is complete and before the upgrade process begins. That plus full system backup with MR, makes everything fool proof.

CountMike, Jun 4, 2016
  9. Kyhi Win User
    YEAH.....
    *Thumbs

Kyhi, Jun 4, 2016
  10. Hi guys, thanks for the quick responses. But I really need a short yes and no answers here.
    So, my question is, when Redstone is available, will it be included in the Media Creation Tool (see link below)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    If yes, then I will need to create another bootable USB media using that Media Creation Tool if Redstone will be included in that tool.

My next question is, if I decide to install Redstone from the Windows Updates, will I have issues with my system since my operating system drive is encrypted with BitLocker?
    If yes, then what I will need to do before installing Redstone, is to Suspend BitLocker protection before installing Redstone just in case and re-enable BitLocker once everything is fully updated.

But do you guys think the easier method is to create another bootable USB from the Media Creation Tool and just re-install Win10 with Redstone?

I have only my data backed up, so I am good with that.

win10freak, Jun 5, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes

BitLocker should not affect the upgrade to Redstone.

I think the easiest method is going to be to download a Redstone ISO file and upgrade from the mounted ISO file. I plan on putting the ISO file on my NAS, and then upgrade all 10 of my computers by mounting the ISO file and running setup from it.

NavyLCDR, Jun 5, 2016
  12. Ok great guys.

Just to really confirm that once Redstone is out, will it be included in the Win10 Media Creation Tool?

I can then use that to create a bootable USB with Redstone on it and then just perform another clean install which is not an issue for me anyway because my data is backed up.

BitLocker should not cause any issues with the Redstone update in case I decide to update from the Windows Updates method?

win10freak, Jun 5, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

How many times are you going to ask the same question? The Redstone upgrade is going to come out EXACTLY the same way as the initial upgrade to Windows 10 did and EXACTLY the same way the November "Threshold 2" upgrade did. PERIOD.

1. The upgrade will come out on Windows Update.
    2. The Redstone version of Windows 10 will also be available for download both via the Media Creation Tool and on Microsoft Tech Bench.
    3. From the ISO file of Redstone you will be able to make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD which can be used to either clean install Windows 10 or apply the upgrade with.
    4. You will also be able to just mount the ISO file inside a running Windows 7/8/8.1/10 and upgrade to Redstone. Only the upgrade from a Windows 10, though, will be free and you will have to pay to upgrade a Windows 7/8/8.1 after July 29.

JUST EXACTLY LIKE THE ORIGINAL WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE and JUST EXACTLY LIKE THE NOVEMBER "THRESHOLD 2" UPGRADE! (Except the free upgrade offer will be expired.)

NavyLCDR, Jun 5, 2016
  14. dmesal Win User
    Just curious I'll be playing in RIMPAC i hope it will be avail once i get home I'll be able to read the reports here before i attempt the upgrade love being a free beta tester for MS

dmesal, Jun 6, 2016
  15. Thanks Navylcdr that's clear enough.

And would BitLocker cause any issues with the Redstone update if I decide to update through the Windows Updates?

Thanks

win10freak, Jun 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Questions about the planned "Redstone" update roll-out - Similar Threads - Questions planned Redstone

2. Question about rolling back Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about rolling back Windows 11: All of a sudden I am unable to send forms and download credit card transactions in Quickbooks Desktop 2024. I have already been on the phone with QB support for 2 hours. They found that my Windows has a problem. I have run SCF Now and it did show there were corrupted files...
  3. Question about rolling back Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about rolling back Windows 11: All of a sudden I am unable to send forms and download credit card transactions in Quickbooks Desktop 2024. I have already been on the phone with QB support for 2 hours. They found that my Windows has a problem. I have run SCF Now and it did show there were corrupted files...
  4. A question about signing out of a user

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A question about signing out of a user: So this may seem like a dumb question, but does signing out of a user remove that user’s name from the login screen? Normally I have two users available on my login screen and after selecting one I just have to enter the password. However, one has disappeared and I was...
  5. Question about new settings ui roll out on 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about new settings ui roll out on 2004: As title say i want ask is it normal that i have desktop pc and notebook, both with windows 10 2004 up to date on board, after install the recent optional update on notebook i get new settings UI with top header with user avatar, OneDrive and Updates shortcuts like on preview...
  6. Question about update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question about update: I am a non- insider and I installed .113 build from uupdump.. I checked for updates to get onto .116 build but I got KB4497936. Did anyone else get this update? Why didn't I get the .116 update? 132936
  7. October Update Roll Out

October Update Roll Out: Hi Everyone, The last I heard Microsoft fixed the early issues and has continued the roll out. But one could update now using Windows Update. I want to wait for the roll-out to my computers. Has anyone heard how long it's going to take Microsoft to get this one out to...
  8. October Update Roll Out

in Windows 10 Support
    October Update Roll Out: Hi Everyone, The last I heard Microsoft fixed the early issues and has continued the roll out. But one could update now using Windows Update. I want to wait for the roll-out to my computers. Has anyone heard how long it's going to take Microsoft to get this one out to...
  9. Question about updates

Question about updates: I installed Win 10 Home which is build 10240. After installing some updates, it's still showing v. 10240 while Microsoft has released build 10565. Do I have to do a re-install to get the latest fixes and features? 26756
  10. Google Chrome Roll-out plan for HTML5 by Default

in Windows 10 News
    Google Chrome Roll-out plan for HTML5 by Default: Four months ago we announced that we’d be moving to HTML5 By Default to offer a safer, more power-efficient experience. As a reminder, this change disables Adobe Flash Player unless there’s a user indication that they want Flash content on specific sites, and eventually all...