Windows 10: Questions about TRIM for drive

Discus and support Questions about TRIM for drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hiya. So I have perhaps an unusual situation. My computer has C: and D: drive. The D: drive is an exact backup clone of C: drive for instant recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by formerracer, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Questions about TRIM for drive

Hiya. So I have perhaps an unusual situation.
    My computer has C: and D: drive. The D: drive is an exact backup clone of C: drive for instant recovery purposes (All my computers have been set up this way for over 15 years).
    I'm using Macrium Reflect that updates the clone by changed sectors every night.
    After some update of Win 10 over the past 18 months, the Search and Index functions started getting confused with two identical online drives, only returning Search results for D: drive.
    After much research, found a way to run a PowerShell solution to take the D: drive offline at the end of nightly cloning, so as far as Indexing knows on a daily basis, it only has C: drive to work with. Works perfectly. D: drive still can boot perfectly if needed.
    My question is: Am I correct to assume that if the D: drive is offline, that TRIM settings don't apply to it? In other words, if Windows doesn't assign a drive letter to it, TRIM ignores it?
    Related question: Macrium allows it's own option of running TRIM on clone drive before backup begins. If I'm running this backup nightly, is this too many TRIM's? (I could split into two scripts, one with TRIM enabled for once weekly, second not enabled for nightly backup). Thank you in advance.

:)

formerracer, Aug 20, 2019

2. What's the trimming phase in Defragment and Optimise Drives?

There's a few things I've forgotten to mention.

Firstly, uh, I'm running a 4GB hard drive, not an SSD. Boo-hoo.

And since trimming is what you'd use to keep an SSD in check, I'm confused.

1) The issue has only happened once - when I launched the thread, that is.

2) No recent changes at all (I sincerely hope).

3) It's only STATED in the Optimise Drives windows, after defragmentation and consolidation.

I wouldn't say it's an issue, more so a bug or even a hidden helper.

The solutions came to no avail.

So, if it's meant to help an SSD, what does it do to a hard drive?

Fahmid Chowdhury, Aug 20, 2019
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    SSD Trim Question

Click on the start icon, type Optimize, click on the app at the top of the list, "Defragment and Optimize Drives". That will tell you when Windows last ran trim on the SSD. Don't worry about the recovery partition that never gets optimized, it never needs to be optimized (Windows will always erroneously report that it does).

Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10

NavyLCDR, Aug 20, 2019
  4. Questions about TRIM for drive

Ensure Trim is Enabled?

I have read several articles on Trim and it seems like my settings are opposite of what the articles say. All articles say the setting should be "0" for Trim to be enabled.

I followed the steps to verify the status and below is what my system reports.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)

ReFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)

so I went through the steps to enable Trim and got this message-

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)

I then went through the steps to disable Trim and got this message-

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 1

NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Enabled)

What should I actually be looking at to enable Trim??

Thanks!

Thirst4Christ, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

Questions about TRIM for drive

1. Questions about TRIM for drive - Similar Threads - Questions TRIM drive

2. about TRIM enable or disable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    about TRIM enable or disable: Hy Ihave in my laptop an SSD drive,so Iknow the TRIM have to be enabled,so icheck inCMD ADMIN and type: C:\Windows\System32> fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotiey then click enter.after enter show NTFS DisableDeleteNotify =0 DisableRsFS DisableDeleteNotifi =0 DisableIs...
  3. about TRIM enable or disable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    about TRIM enable or disable: Hy Ihave in my laptop an SSD drive,so Iknow the TRIM have to be enabled,so icheck inCMD ADMIN and type: C:\Windows\System32> fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotiey then click enter.after enter show NTFS DisableDeleteNotify =0 DisableRsFS DisableDeleteNotifi =0 DisableIs...
  4. about TRIM enable or disable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. About trimming SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About trimming SSD: Hello everyone. I would like to ask how often I should trim my SSD by using the disk defragmentation utility of Windows 11. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-trimming-ssd/ab835a3b-fb60-4fd7-b902-0cd36486b1a2
  6. About trimming SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    About trimming SSD: Hello everyone. I would like to ask how often I should trim my SSD by using the disk defragmentation utility of Windows 11. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-trimming-ssd/ab835a3b-fb60-4fd7-b902-0cd36486b1a2
  7. Question about cloning a drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about cloning a drive: Hi, I am wanting to do a fresh install of Windows 10 pro, i have a ton of Music related applications that i would rather not go through the process of reinstalling and activating etc etc Could i clone my C drive (that's my OS drive) and then do a fresh install of Windows 10...
  8. A question about USB drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A question about USB drives: Hey, Don't know if this a dumb question or not but I'm asking just because I'm curious. Deleted data still stays on a drive, right? At least until it's overwritten by another thing? When I plug a flash drive or even a phone via USB in a PC and delete a file from there, is...
  9. SSD Trim Question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Trim Question: Hi There Wondering if SSD Trim does it autoly with Windows Maintenance task? or if I should run that manually weekly, I set in the SSD dashboard, Enable Trim, Weekly for the schedule, but not sure if it ran, states under it last run none. Very very new to SSD drives, first...
  10. Question about Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about Recovery Drive: I have a primary drive which is 500 GB - I would like to split it so that I can use half for OS and half for data. I made a recovery USB (before I split the drive) and I would like to know that if I restore whether the disk partition will go back to how it was when the...