Windows 10: Questions about Windows Defender protecting

Discus and support Questions about Windows Defender protecting in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have some questions connected to Windows Defender. It would be great if someone would tell me a bit more about how it protects system and the whole... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by OnePerson1, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Questions about Windows Defender protecting

I have some questions connected to Windows Defender. It would be great if someone would tell me a bit more about how it protects system and the whole pc. As I do a lot of research and receive lot of documents, I want to know how Defender works.

1. Does Defender protects pc and blocks sites or files which might contain virus before they are opened or downloaded here I mean mainly Documents? I guess that Edge uses this option Smart Scanning or so, but does it work on other browsers? I know that some other antiviruses had such options like that. I wanted to know if Defender has it as well?
    2. Does Defender deletes viruses in100%? And does one fresh reinstall system or one formatting makes viruses disappear for 100%? And what's difference in case of safety from viruses for any storage - fast vs slow full formatting? By the way, isn't there in reinstalling system only the 'fast formatting partition' option?
    3. Are there any options worth turning on to make pc even more safe? Especially when people work and have to do a lot of research or get from others document files.
    4. What is the option "Random Device Mac Address" and does it have any impact on safety of devices? If it doesn't, why is this option there, as well as for phones as I've seen? Is it like preventing virus to block device through mac address?
    5. Is it safe to plug USB Key with Windows reinstallation made through official Media Creation Tool to the pc in order to reinstall the system, while there was a virus on the pc? Wouldn't the virus get into this USB Key, making it reinstall system with virus?

I know that some other antiviruses are quickly blocking sites or files which might contain virus before it get to the pc For example Malwarebytes. That's why I'm wondering if Defender offers the same way protections?

:)

OnePerson1, Dec 27, 2020
  2. vicf1 Win User

Clear Windows Security Center (Defender) Protection History

Did not work for me. After going through all steps I still have protection history full

vicf1, Dec 27, 2020
  3. Windows update and windows defender issues

We suggest you to avoid installing any cleaner or anti-virus software that may interrupt the function of Windows Defender. Make sure that Windows Defender is always on. To do this follow these steps:

• On the Start menu, type Windows Defender and hit enter.
    • Click Settings.
    • Turn Real-time protection on.
    We also recommend you to install the latest update for Windows Defender.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

Questions about Windows Defender protecting

1. Questions about Windows Defender protecting - Similar Threads - Questions Defender protecting

2. Question about Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Windows Defender: ENG:Good evening everyone, my McAfee subscription has recently expired and given that most of the antivirus options are rightly disabled because the subscription has expired, I was wondering if it is better to uninstall it and perhaps switch to a free antivirus like AVG which...
  3. Question about Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Windows Defender: ENG:Good evening everyone, my McAfee subscription has recently expired and given that most of the antivirus options are rightly disabled because the subscription has expired, I was wondering if it is better to uninstall it and perhaps switch to a free antivirus like AVG which...
  4. Question about Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Question about Windows Defender.

Question about Windows Defender.: Does Windows Defender reverse the changes made by malware like Safety Scanner? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/question-about-windows-defender/38da4d27-7db5-4ea9-8a58-e88e2511f62e
  6. Question about Microsoft Defender

Question about Microsoft Defender: Will Microsoft release a mobile version of Microsoft Defender for consumers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/question-about-microsoft-defender/515acd9e-9db4-4cca-a8f1-7c7cf3e5773f
  7. Question about virus protection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about virus protection: I have not used a laptop in over 5 years and am figuring out my Lenovo Flex 15. My free McAfee expired. My husband says I don't need virus protection (he is a Mac guy) I can't believe that is right. Back in the day I used free virus protection software. Any advice of your...
  8. Question about windows defender

Question about windows defender: I am going to remove my antivirus right now because its waste so many memory, and i am planning to use windows defender, but i have been turn off windows defender for about 4-5 month since i install my previous antivirus. If i turn it on right now, does it will work properly?...
  9. Question about windows defender

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about windows defender: I am going to remove my antivirus right now because its waste so many memory, and i am planning to use windows defender, but i have been turn off windows defender for about 4-5 month since i install my previous antivirus. If i turn it on right now, does it will work properly?...
  10. Defender Controlled Folder Protection Question

Defender Controlled Folder Protection Question: Hello There After using Avast for 16 years, and discovering a file was writing a lot to the drive, decided to try Defender longer this time, now if i decide to enable Controlled Folder protection or Ransomware protection after 1803 Released, does that add extra unnecessary...