Windows 10: Questions about Windows licensing re ESXi

Discus and support Questions about Windows licensing re ESXi in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am a DP professional DBA looking to play with ESXi , also Apache, NIFI, Cold Fusion, etc. AT HOME for educating myself only. I intend to reuse an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Papa John Greybeard, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Questions about Windows licensing re ESXi

I am a DP professional DBA looking to play with ESXi , also Apache, NIFI, Cold Fusion, etc. AT HOME for educating myself only.

I intend to reuse an existing single socket PC, currently with a digital Windows 10 pro license. I assume that I can reuse my Windows license... but can I use it for multiple VMs on my single PC? Part of my goal is to simulate a multi-node configuration.

Any advice best tutorials, mistakes to avoid, etc. also welcome. Thanks.

:)

Papa John Greybeard, Jun 10, 2020
  2. AjithKT Win User

Windows 2012 Licensing on ESXi

In a Windows 2012 standard license we can have only 2 VMs; so in one ESXi server(of any sockets) we can host a maximum of 2 VMs; so in my environment we have 3 esxi hosts in a cluster with each running 2 VMs.

so please let me know how much Windows standard/Datacenter license should I procure.

As per my understanding; i will require 3 datacenter licenses.

We cannot have 3 standard windows license because we can have only 2 VMs per host (3 servers); this is OK in ideal case scenario.

But if we need to move one VM from one ESXi host to another i.e

ESXi 1 having 1 VMs

ESXi 2 having 3 VMs ---> violation of licensing

ESXi 3 having 2 VMs

then it will be a violation of the licensing policies.

Please correct if my understanding is wrong.

AjithKT, Jun 10, 2020
  3. hammond Win User
    AMD GPU Monitoring in ESXi 5.5

Hi there,

I have an ESXi 5.5 host that contains an AMD GPU. I am looking for a way of viewing GPU usage statistics. GPU-Z is not compatible with ESXi, and AMD's own 'amdconfig' util is also not compatible.

I have previously used Nvidia GRID GPUs with ESXi and they provide their "nvidia-smi" tool, but AMD does not include anything in their driver package.

Can anybody offer any suggestions of how I can monitor GPU statistics within ESXi? This is a vSGA configuration, i.e. not a PCIe passthrough, so installing GPU-Z in the guest VM is not an option as the video driver is at the hypervisor level.

Thanks in advance, Hammond.

hammond, Jun 10, 2020
  4. Conor1974 Win User

Questions about Windows licensing re ESXi

License Transfer question

So I found this on the MS website.

Add Windows 8.1 Pro Pack or Windows 8.1 Media Center Pack to your edition of Windows 8.1

• Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)
    • Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
    • Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.1 and then do one of the following:
      • If you need to purchase a product key, tap or click I want to buy a product key online.
        Follow the steps to purchase and enter a product key.
      • If you already have a product key, tap or click I already have a product key.
    • Enter your product key and click Next.
    • Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

Would this be the way to do it? And would it matter that this would be the US version and not UK?

Thanks
      Conor

Conor1974, Jun 10, 2020
Thema:

Questions about Windows licensing re ESXi

1. Questions about Windows licensing re ESXi - Similar Threads - Questions licensing ESXi

2. Question about Windows Licensing and Booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Windows Licensing and Booting: Hi , i got 2 questions here,. and i would like if its posible to get official replay from microsoft aswell so i know its 100% correct.question 1 : i buy a windows licens some time ago that i didnt use yet from a site called <Removed> , the prices the site sell windows licens...
  3. Question about Windows Licensing and Booting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Windows Licensing and Booting: Hi , i got 2 questions here,. and i would like if its posible to get official replay from microsoft aswell so i know its 100% correct.question 1 : i buy a windows licens some time ago that i didnt use yet from a site called <Removed> , the prices the site sell windows licens...
  4. A question about licenses

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A question about licenses: Well I do often format my pc when needed ( long time no clean for example ) or when i change a core Pc component like motherboard or CPU. This time i haven't formatted my pc but changed motherboard and cpu and seems that suddenly that i do not own a windows license because...
  5. Question about Windows License Terms

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Windows License Terms: What does Microsoft mean by saying in the Microsoft software license terms, installation and use rights, license: "Updating or upgrading from non-genuine software with software from Microsoft or authorized sources does not make your original version or the updated/upgraded...
  6. Question about Windows License Terms

Question about Windows License Terms: What does Microsoft mean by saying in the Microsoft software license terms, installation and use rights, license: "Updating or upgrading from non-genuine software with software from Microsoft or authorized sources does not make your original version or the updated/upgraded...
  7. Question about Windows License Terms

8. A question about windows License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    A question about windows License: I had\have an Acer Office PC that originally came with Windows 8.1 that got upgraded to W10,I don't have a key and I'm guessing the license was tied to the motherboard.When I built my gaming PC I tied the license to my Microsoft account so I wouldn't have to buy a windows...
  9. Question about digital license

Question about digital license: Hello, so recently I decided to upgrade a 4 year old pre-built PC my brother gave me last year. I plan on changing almost every part on the PC(including the motherboard.) I was able to link my Microsoft account to the digital license. My concern is, since it was a pre-built,...
  10. Question about win10 license

Question about win10 license: Hello. I just bought myself a copy of Win10 Home. Shortly after I was told that it was a waste of money because Windows 10 is free. I can see that on Microsoft's site there's a download for it, but is it something you still need to purchase a key for to activate? I am a...