Windows 10: Questions on some MRF settings

Discus and support Questions on some MRF settings in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I use MRF for system image backups once every 3 months on my 3 Windows 10 computers on a rotating basis. I looked into their settings again and am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by MeAndMyComputer, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Questions on some MRF settings

I use MRF for system image backups once every 3 months on my 3 Windows 10 computers on a rotating basis.
    I looked into their settings again and am wondering about the following:
    Enable TRIM on restore
    --- The computer I am doing now plus one of my other computers do not have SSD's.
    --- Even though Enable TRIM on restore is the default setting without mentioning if it matters whether or not an SSD is in use, I suspect it should be unchecked: is that correct?

Questions on some MRF settings [​IMG]

Then there's Restore Master Boot Record settings
    Replace with the Master Boot Record from the backup (Recommended)
    --- Shouldn't I uncheck that on the computer I'm doing now?
    --- According to diskpart, the computer I'm doing now uses Gpt

:)

MeAndMyComputer, Aug 28, 2017
  2. lecban24 Win User

Some questions on Lumia phones

My experience with Lumia is that the user interface is nice, phone is quick and responsive but it is poor in features. While making a decision, ask other people who have Nokia phones, what is their experience with Nokia Care after sales service. Based
    on mine with N9 I have too, can tell you that I never experienced worst customer service! Imagine, Nokia keeps on trying to fix my N9 for more than 6 months! Hope, you will be more lucky!

lecban24, Aug 28, 2017
  3. Some questions on Lumia phones

Sound quality through the headset very bad

any adjustment

I wanna said again Window phone is not GOOD expecially Nikia window phone

1026185963, Aug 28, 2017
  4. Questions on some MRF settings

I found answers at Restoring an image from Windows - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

On the enable trim restore: "Enable TRIM on restore to increase of both the lifetime and the performance of the SSD."
    --- So I'll uncheck that setting on a computer that doesn't use an SSD.
    --- I know that makes sense but I just had to verify it.

On the "Replace with the Master Boot Record from the backup (Recommended)"
    "Note: On modern GPT/UEFI systems this option has no effect.
    To replace the Master Boot Record (MBR) with the MBR from the backup.
    The MBR is a small program that executes when the computer starts up. If this program becomes corrupt then you can have problems starting the computer operating system."
    --- That's fine, but if I didn't want to verify it, I wouldn't have known that in a modern GPT/UEFI system there isn't an effect.

MeAndMyComputer, Aug 29, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Unchecking trim will have no effect on an HDD.

Messing around with mbr and changing setting is only for special cases. If you have a GPT UEFI install, it will not have any impact at all.

I have NEVER changed these defaults in many years use across a wide range of legacy bios and UEFI installs.

So in simple terms, just leave the defaults alone.

cereberus, Aug 29, 2017
  6. I restored a full system image backup, not because I had to, but to test it without changes to any default settings: no problems. The subject of this thread is solved: thanks cerebus.

MeAndMyComputer, Sep 10, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Great.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Questions on some MRF settings

1. Questions on some MRF settings - Similar Threads - Questions MRF settings

2. Some questions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some questions: I'm a noob on this stuff but I want to build a gaming PC but all this OS stuff scares me. Would I have to pay for Windows 10 or does it come in the monitor or whatever. A friend told me Windows 10 is only good on a computer for a little while, is this true? submitted by...
  3. I am setting up some Windows10 miniPCs for some customers, but have a question.

I am setting up some Windows10 miniPCs for some customers, but have a question.: I will be setting these up by installing updates, optimizing the settings, and getting these plug-and-play for some older customers, but don't know how to activate windows without having to sign in to a Microsoft account. I want the customer to be able to log in with their...
  4. Some audio questions regarding a setting

Some audio questions regarding a setting: I have been trying to figure out whats been causing my computer high cpu usage and it turns out unchecking the box in this post fixed my issues and I can run games at much higher framerates now. The only issue is I noticed someone at the bottom of that thread mentioning it...
  5. Questions about some Windows settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions about some Windows settings: I always create a local account with admin rights and I want UAC disabled and the files and programs which need to be run with admin rights to automatically do it (so I don't have to do it myself) so could someone tell me what Enable UAC - Filter all administrators...
  6. Some questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Some questions: So, I'm on Windows 1909 18363.449 x64 and I have some questions: 1. I can't disable some security and maintenance settings (the windows update, microsoft account, spyware and unwanted software protection, windows activation, device software, startup apps and homegroup [I...
  7. Some questions

Some questions: So, I'm on Windows 1909 18363.449 x64 and I have some questions: I can't disable some security and maintenance settings (the windows update, microsoft account, spyware and unwanted software protection, windows activation, device software, startup apps and homegroup [I...
  8. Some questions

Some questions: So, I'm on Windows 1909 18363.449 x64 and I have some questions: I can't disable some security and maintenance settings (the windows update, microsoft account, spyware and unwanted software protection, windows activation, device software, startup apps and homegroup [I...
  9. Some questions:

in Windows 10 Support
    Some questions:: Win10Pro-x64, i5 2500, 16GB RAM 1) TrustedInstalleiter: When will you finally make this system easily overridable? I'm not even master in my own system then? 2) UAC: Often I'm prevented from installing programs by UAC, same question: when will you make this finally...
  10. Some basic questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Some basic questions: At the moment I am using Win 7 (Dell OEM) and still considering Win 10. However, there are a few basic questions that I would be grateful for answers to. 1) I have Windows updates set to 'ask before downloading'. The impression I get from the media and internet is that MS...