Windows 10: Questions re: Expanding System Partition, Shrinking Windows Partition

Discus and support Questions re: Expanding System Partition, Shrinking Windows Partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, Hopefully I'm not duplicating a thread I haven't found. I'm running Windows Home v. 1803, Build 17134.829 on a Lenovo IdeaPad laptop.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Diankah, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Diankah Win User

Questions re: Expanding System Partition, Shrinking Windows Partition

Hello Everyone,

Hopefully I'm not duplicating a thread I haven't found. I'm running Windows Home v. 1803, Build 17134.829 on a Lenovo IdeaPad laptop. Windows Update failed to install the July CU (KB4507435) for v. 1803 with error code 0x800f0922 (possible cause: too-small system partition). This is the first time I've received this code so checked size of system partition and saw it is only 260 MB (screenshot follows):

Questions re: Expanding System Partition, Shrinking Windows Partition [​IMG]

This is the disk organization as provided by Lenovo; as you can see I have lots of free space but no unallocated space. If I need unallocated space to expand the system partition, I'll have to get it by shrinking the Windows partition. I have a few questions about this procedure:

1. Are there any special considerations for shrinking the Windows partition, e.g., defrag the disk first?
    2. Must the unallocated space reside immediately next to the system partition to be considered contiguous? If shrinking the Windows partition places the unallocated space anywhere else, will I need a third-party disk management tool to enlarge the system partition?

I'm sure I'll need to resolve this before trying to update to v. 1903, which is now being offered, and I'll have to do the same to my husband's HP (don't want to mess up that one), so really need to have my ducks in a row before getting started.

Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

Diankah, Jul 16, 2019

2. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Jul 16, 2019
  3. qinada Win User
    undo partition shrink

Hi, disk management has limitations on the size of shrinking partition. Also extending partition with Disk Management, you must have unallocated space next to the partition which you need to expand. Otherwise, the button is grayed out.

I suggest you use a third party free disk partition manager to help you to
    extend the partition

qinada, Jul 16, 2019
  4. Questions re: Expanding System Partition, Shrinking Windows Partition

Expanding my Windows partition.

AFAIK this is not possible with the windows partition manager,

i have never been able to sucsessfuly extent a lower partition into a higher one. what you need is a program that will move all the Data on Partition D to the end of it.

then the program will have to shrink the partition from the LEFT side so you can extend C: partition to the Right.

afaik windows cannot shrink a partition from the left side, only the right side.

Sorry if that dosnt make sence......

Also this thread was started nearly 30 days ago.

slyfox2151, Jul 16, 2019
Thema:

Questions re: Expanding System Partition, Shrinking Windows Partition

1. Questions re: Expanding System Partition, Shrinking Windows Partition - Similar Threads - Questions Expanding System

2. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  3. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  4. Expand partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Expand partition: I have 46 gb of unallocated space on my ssd. I want to expand my C drive, but the recovery partition is between C and the unallocated space. Can I delete the recovery partition and expand C, then re-create the recovery partition?...
  5. Expand partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Expand partition: I have 46 gb of unallocated space on my ssd. I want to expand my C drive, but the recovery partition is between C and the unallocated space. Can I delete the recovery partition and expand C, then re-create the recovery partition?...
  6. Unable to shrink a partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to shrink a partition: I have a new SSD and am trying to install Windows Home from a USB drive. I can see in Disk Management several partitions that Windows created, but Windows fails to install due to error 0x8007025D. One suggestion from Microsoft is to reduce the partition to 125GB currently...
  7. Problem shrinking Windows partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem shrinking Windows partition: Hello, I have Windows (ver. 2004, build 19041.630) installed on an M.2 1TB SSD drive, and I want to copy and run it from a SATA 0.5TB SSD. So I'm trying to shrink the main windows partition (951GB total, 160GB used), but disk manager says it can't shrink below 487GB, which...
  8. W10 Partition shrinking/expanding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 Partition shrinking/expanding: Recently expanded my 'System Reserved' partition in order to install W10 1903 release. However, expanded it by far too much, so now need to shrink and reallocate to may main Drive C . If I shrink, will the newly unallocated space automatically be placed next to my Drive C...
  9. Expanding OS partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    Expanding OS partition: Disk Management shows my OS resided on a 223GB partition (C:) on an SSD that has 477GB. The SSD has these partitions: 102 MB Unallocated | OS (C:) 223 GB NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) | 103 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition) | 253 GB...
  10. Expand System Reserve Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Expand System Reserve Partition: Hi, Have a HP - Windows 10 Desktop. It originally came with windows 7. It upgraded fine to Windows 10, but when the latest version was released, it is unable to update as the System Reserved Partition is only 128 MB. I am also not getting the latest security updates as...