Windows 10: Questions re Macrium Restore to a new PC ??

Discus and support Questions re Macrium Restore to a new PC ?? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Can a mirror backup be restored on a new PC ??? I'm a little confused as a mirror image has all the settings of the old pc which may have had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by provlima, Feb 19, 2018.

1. provlima Win User

Questions re Macrium Restore to a new PC ??

Can a mirror backup be restored on a new PC ???

I'm a little confused as a mirror image has all the settings of the old pc which may have had different hardware than a new pc.

If the image is restored to a new pc's hard drive would there be conflict problems with the new pc's hardware? Will the new PC use the backup image including the W10 OS?
    Thanks for your help

:)

provlima, Feb 19, 2018

2. Windows 10 apps and data backup

Yes, if you want to do a Clean Install of Windows you will need to re-install all the Apps. When apps are installed they write to the Registry which can't be written to with success from the backups.

If you wanted to make a restorable system image use Macrium Reflect - Free. Though that can't be used to add the programs to a Clean Install. only a full replacement for them.

How to Create a Full-Disk Backup of Your PC with Macrium Reflect

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-re...

SpiritX MS MVP, Feb 19, 2018
  3. Black screen after Creator's Update

Hi I love my Macrium Reflect. I'm a fearless PC user; knowing I can restore to exactly like I was before the problem. I've been a Macrium user for years and Macrium has never let me down. I can restore the image back even on a new hard drive. That makes
    me fearless! The W10 back up feature is better then nothing, but Macrium is the best insurance you can have IMHO! I have just been a PC user sense 2004, so I'm still a newbie. LOL. Thanks for your reply!

garybear89, Feb 19, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

If restored to a new PC it would be an exact copy of the other PC. Windows is good at finding new hardware but there is no guarantee it will work and if it does it may not activate if it's still on the old PC you need to buy a new copy

Samuria, Feb 19, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    If you use the paid version (Macrium Reflect Home), you can redploy images to a new pc.

If only using the free version, you might run into driver issues but Windows 10 is pretty good at sorting it out and has a high chance (over 80% I would guess) it will work fine. You may need to manually update some drivers from device manager.

In general the key drivers tend to be the graphics drivers, wifi/ethernet drivers, and in some cases CPU chip drivers. Basically if pc boots ok, and you can see things in reasonable resolution and connect to Internet, you can usually sort out drivers after installation if needs be.

If you really run into difficult problems e.g. new pc will not boot, or screen is blank etc, you can sysprep current pc to remove hardware drivers, then image backup again, and restore this sysprepped image backup to new pc which will then automatically select correct drivers thereafter.)

Then you can restore first (non sysprepped image) back to original pc if you wish.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Questions re Macrium Restore to a new PC ?? - Similar Threads - Questions Macrium Restore

2. "How-to" question re migration to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "How-to" question re migration to new PC: I've searched high and low on several forums for an answer to my question with no success. Thus, posting here.I purchased a new Dell PC laptop with Windows 10 Pro pre-installed. Invoice states: Includes Windows 11 Pro LicenseMy old PC laptop is 6 1/2 years old and is running...
  3. "How-to" question re migration to new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "How-to" question re migration to new PC: I've searched high and low on several forums for an answer to my question with no success. Thus, posting here.I purchased a new Dell PC laptop with Windows 10 Pro pre-installed. Invoice states: Includes Windows 11 Pro LicenseMy old PC laptop is 6 1/2 years old and is running...
  4. "How-to" question re migration to new PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Clone and Restore with Macrium Reflect - question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone and Restore with Macrium Reflect - question: Macrium Reflect is used in Win 10 to periodically clone the C: drive HD partitions to a separate backup HD. When sometime ago there was a problem with the existing C: drive (Win 10 1803), the first remedy method tried was to boot the system from the Reflect recovery optical...
  6. Question re: Recovery partitions, Macrium

Question re: Recovery partitions, Macrium: My project is to clone my HDD C: to a new, larger SSD. I think I have things pretty well figured out, but I am not comfortable with the situation in my current Recovery Partition. Below is a pic of my current partitioning scheme. [img] As far as I can figure out, the...
  7. Question re Macrium application - latest build.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question re Macrium application - latest build.: For several years I have successfully used macrium (which had got me out of many self inflicted errors). With all the recent updates, I decided to burn new rescue disks. In the past I just inserted my previous disks and, via the bios, booted into the rescue disk. I have just...
  8. Questions concerning restored images in macrium

Questions concerning restored images in macrium: I know cloning a drive will in essence replicate it, but I have a question about imaging your OS and data partitions. If you image the OS and data partitions and restore them on a target drive...... will the restored target drive be able to boot Windows or just...
  9. Macrium ...Questions about restoring a PC in a worst case senario

Macrium ...Questions about restoring a PC in a worst case senario: Scenario: Your pc's hard drive has failed. You can no longer boot up. 1 If you have a backup hdd with the images of your system disk, data disk and the rescue media can you just swap the old bad hdd with your backup hdd or do you connect your backup hdd via usb cable to...
  10. Questions re Upgrading 750GB HDD to new 2TB HDD using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions re Upgrading 750GB HDD to new 2TB HDD using Macrium Reflect: I plan to upgrade my 750GB ATA drive to a 2TB HDD on my 6 year old Dell XPS9000 that has W7 The 750GB Drive has a 250 OS System partition and a 500GB data partition. If I image my hold 750 GB HDD to the new 2TB HDD how will the System and Data partitions be restored on...