Windows 10: Questions regarding removing Windows 10 from laptop

Discus and support Questions regarding removing Windows 10 from laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I bought this laptop that came with Windows 10 (pretty certain it's version 1803) pre-installed. For reasons 100% related to numerous instances of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by UserUnknown, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Questions regarding removing Windows 10 from laptop

So I bought this laptop that came with Windows 10 (pretty certain it's version 1803) pre-installed. For reasons 100% related to numerous instances of it fighting against my actions (changing file associations back, forced updates hosing a project, etc.) I have decided I want it off my laptop and control of the harddrive back.

It did not come with an installation disk. After having to reset to factory default because of aforementioned project hosing, I quarantined it from internet contact as it changed my plugin video camera's driver that worked to one that doesn't. I have been using a Linux Mint 19.1 flashdrive and booting from that solely for internet browsing since.

What I would like to do ultimately is set the laptop up as a dual-boot with some other version of Windows and Linux Mint. The harddrive though is locked out to writing when booting from the flashdrive. Perhaps that wouldn't be the case if I fully installed Linux Mint as dual-boot beside Windows 10, but I've just been saving onto another flashdrive.

I know how to use the partition tool (Windows and Linuxes) and I have an idea how I want to have the final setup. It would wind up with likely Windows XP (as I can no longer access a harddrive with Windows 7 that I'd prefer) installed alongside Linux Mint and a non-booting pure data partition both could share.

I don't wish to lose the use of this licensed copy of Windows 10 though as there are testing instances where I might temporarily be able to use it. I learned about the recovery tool having an option to include all system files so that it is in essence a full install backup and have since made this. Before any change that would overwrite or uninstall Windows 10 though, I want to test that full install drive first then go from there.

These are some questions I've not figured out from all the articles I've read:

I read that Windows 10 requires 'primary' partition to install. Does it only install on UEFI able machines (so nothing older with just BIOS)?

This is relevant to the full install recovery flashdrive I wish to test first. I wondered if it could be targeted to install to a large flash drive or into a running virtual machine. I kind of doubted it could be test installed side by side on the same harddrive as it would recognize existing one.

I read that if you want to dual-boot with Windows 10, you should install Windows 10 first because it destroys the parse points. Linux and most other operating systems do not, so you can partition with it's tool to install second.

Unless Windows 10 owns the whole drive. That is the problem as it came pre-installed on the laptop. Can I make a data partition with it's own tool that is not owned by Windows 10 or that can have ownership taken by a bootflash Linux Mint partition tool?

Without wiping the drive and losing the non Windows things I want to keep, is it possible to uninstall Windows 10 around such a data partition? Or if not I just have to copy those off to large flash and uninstall.

I appreciate any help with this, and oh, hi. Yes I just made this account. By the way, I know it's not Windows XP forums, but does anyone know if you can do the same thing with the recovery tool for it (a full install flashdrive that is)?

:)

UserUnknown, Feb 19, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 19, 2021
  3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Feb 19, 2021
  4. Scrizz Win User

Questions regarding removing Windows 10 from laptop

Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Feb 19, 2021
Thema:

Questions regarding removing Windows 10 from laptop

1. Questions regarding removing Windows 10 from laptop - Similar Threads - Questions regarding removing

2. Questions Regarding a Laptop Which has Been Temporarily Removed from a Domain

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Questions Regarding a Laptop Which has Been Temporarily Removed from a Domain: I have a windows 11 laptop. I have had it removed temporarily from the domain it was connected to and am currently using the local administrator account. I have 3 questions:What will happen to all the files and software that I download on this local admin once the laptop gets...
  3. Questions Regarding a Laptop Which has Been Temporarily Removed from a Domain

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Questions Regarding a Laptop Which has Been Temporarily Removed from a Domain: I have a windows 11 laptop. I have had it removed temporarily from the domain it was connected to and am currently using the local administrator account. I have 3 questions:What will happen to all the files and software that I download on this local admin once the laptop gets...
  4. Questions Regarding Reinstallation of Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Questions Regarding Reinstallation of Windows 10.: Hello. Im here because I am unsure how to go about this process. As the headliner gave away, Im looking to reinstall Windows 10 through a Recovery File. Why ? I need to replace my Hard Drive due to it needing to be replaced for various reasons. Now, I know how to make a...
  5. Question Regarding My Laptop's Camera Driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question Regarding My Laptop's Camera Driver: Hello all, I am having a problem trying to turn my integrated camera back on my laptop. This all started when I tried to join a zoom meeting and my camera was not turning on. Once the meeting was over, I opened the camera app and received this message The error message will...
  6. Question Regarding Activation in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question Regarding Activation in Windows 10: I want to know, what would happen if Windows 10 is used without activation. I came to know through one of my friend that Windows 10 comes for free,officially. He directed me to this website https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10, to corroborate his...
  7. Question regarding windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question regarding windows 10: I am running an hp PC with windows 10 running in it And facing some issues I wan't to do a system restore But the problem is that if I do it then I will get back to windows 8 as it was my original os and I upgraded it to windows 10 during free update period ... So the...
  8. Question regarding Windows 10 1909

in Windows 10 Support
    Question regarding Windows 10 1909: Wasn't sure where to post this, so please pardon me if this is the wrong spot. I was wondering if there has been any word on whether Microsoft is going to be releasing a 1909 feature update or just skip to the 20h1 feature update. 134723
  9. question regarding windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    question regarding windows 10: Is there any App (preferably free) that will work with Windows 10 that can create photo collages.?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-regarding-windows-10/6413a3cf-7b66-4c46-9ae8-4fcae635c385
  10. Question regarding reserved Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Question regarding reserved Windows 10.: I just reserved a free copy Windows 10 from my Windows 7 Ultimate. My question is that will I get upgraded to Windows 10 Home, Pro or Enterprise? Cause I don't want that underpowered home shit. 8739