Windows 10: Queston: Migrating OS to different Drive

Discus and support Queston: Migrating OS to different Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; To start off, here's what I have in my gaming PC: Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2 SSD (This is where Windows 10 is installed along with some programs and a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jorgenese, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Jorgenese Win User

Queston: Migrating OS to different Drive

To start off, here's what I have in my gaming PC:

Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2 SSD (This is where Windows 10 is installed along with some programs and a couple of games)

Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB SSD (Currently connected via External connector from StarTech.com. Nothing is on it right now)

Western Digital Blue edition 2 TB (files, programs, games, etc)

Current situation:

I've been enjoying the M.2 a ton. Windows boots up fast along with programs and games. However, I remember using a regular SSD and Windows 10 booted up in the same amount of time compared to the M.2.

Here's my idea: I want to have my OS on the 250 GB SSD and have all of my games on the 500 GB M.2.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to move the OS over from the M.2 to the SSD. I was thinking of just completely wiping all hard drives and install OS fresh and then reinstall all of my games and programs directly to the M.2 (and in my head I think that would be the easiest way to do it.) But if there's an option to just move the OS over to the new SSD easily, I'd rather do that. Any options that'll be nice and easy will be much appreciated. Queston: Migrating OS to different Drive :)

:)

Jorgenese, Apr 14, 2019
  2. little cat, Apr 14, 2019
  3. Anthony Win User
    Migrate Win10 to a different drive

I need to send my SSD where OS (Win10) is installed for RMA. Therefore, I have to migrate everything on the SSD to another drive. I understand many threads are discussing this, but in my case, it is slightly different.

I have two SSDs; let's call them SSD_1 and SSD_2.

• SSD_1 is the C: volume, i.e. where the actual Win10 OS is installed.
    • SSD_2 is the System Reserved Volume, i.e. where the bootable files are installed.

Therefore, trying booting my PC without SSD_2 will end up with a message saying no operating system installed.

Question:

Will Win10 load up if I do the following procedures:

1. do a copy and paste of everything on SSD_1 to a different drive, say SSD_3;
    2. shut down PC; remove SSD_1; enter PE;
    3. and change the drive label for SSD_3 to C:.

Anthony, Apr 14, 2019
  4. Queston: Migrating OS to different Drive

USB Drive showing "Not Migrated" in Device manager

Forgot this one on the list, my bad

Yes, I have tried the steps above and it did not resolve the issue.

My pen drive is still showing "not migrated"

Any further help would be appreciated, thanks!

Matthew 'DoubleRainbow'Walker, Apr 14, 2019
Thema:

Queston: Migrating OS to different Drive

1. Queston: Migrating OS to different Drive - Similar Threads - Queston Migrating different

2. Migration os

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migration os: I cloned the os of my laptop on my ssd but i donot kow how to boot from my ssd not from my old hdd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migration-os/88321ba8-0e8e-4b75-a2a9-314395227da2
  3. Migration os

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migration os: I cloned the os of my laptop on my ssd but i donot kow how to boot from my ssd not from my old hdd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migration-os/88321ba8-0e8e-4b75-a2a9-314395227da2
  4. How to migrate Windows to a different Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to migrate Windows to a different Drive: I would like to know how to make another drive a C:Drive on my computer since I have just installed a faster SSD and would like to get the benefits of a faster boot time....
  5. How to migrate Windows to a different Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to migrate Windows to a different Drive: I would like to know how to make another drive a C:Drive on my computer since I have just installed a faster SSD and would like to get the benefits of a faster boot time....
  6. How to migrate Windows to a different Drive

7. Migrating OS

Migrating OS: I've recently purchased an SSD as my hard drive isn't coping as a boot drive and is bottlenecking performance. As a result I've a need to migrate my data across. I'm using a smaller SSD 500gb than HDD 2tb and am aware I need to cut down to fit. My issue is that I've lost my...
  8. Migrating OS to new Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating OS to new Hard Drive: Okay, I think I need some help. I am trying to move my OS from a SSD that runs on SATA to a PCIe NVMe SSD. My motherboard has a native NVMe slot so I was able to plug it in no problem. I can get a reading on the hard drive itself and I made a complete copy of it using...
  9. OS Migration

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OS Migration: I have a PC that has become very slow at booting up. Sometimes it takes so long to be ready to use, I have to re-boot it again in order for it so be useable at all. It has 2 x 1TB HDDs in it & the one with the OS on it is at about 95% full. So I guess that this cold be the...
  10. os migration

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    os migration: hi I have a gaming pc with 3 ssd slots. I am purchasing a new faster ssd but I am still going to use the old ssd on the same pc. is it possible to transfer the operating system files to the faster ssd as well as the apps, games ect. can all this be done with out loosing any...