Windows 10: Quick Access Bar Is Still Broken: The List Disappears Upon Changing the Order

Discus and support Quick Access Bar Is Still Broken: The List Disappears Upon Changing the Order in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been searching for this solution for the longest time, and can't seem to find one that works. Here's the problem: A while ago, I had aQuick... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AirStyle120, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Quick Access Bar Is Still Broken: The List Disappears Upon Changing the Order

I've been searching for this solution for the longest time, and can't seem to find one that works.

Here's the problem: A while ago, I had aQuick Access QA list of folders I usually use inFile Explorer FE. It was a list of about 20-odd count of folders. Then one day, I decided to change the order of the folders. The QA list collapsed and refused to open. On top of that, QA seems to be connected to showing the frequent folders upon fresh opening of the FE. So that disappeared too. I checked online for a solution, and no one provides a real one. Each time I look for one, a Microsoft representative comes to help, they give some weak solution that doesn't work, and then the thread dies.

I found that the only way of bringing it back is to pin another folder to the list. Then QA expands and the whole list appears again. Here's the caveat: I don't want the new link; it's just some random folder in my directory hierarchy just so that it reappears. And...if I ever decide to remove that particular list item from QA, we're back to square one; the list disappears and I'm stuck adding another random folder to the list. I tried to delete another one I actually wanted and then add it back, but it seems to remember those even though I'm sure this folder list is nowhere on the computer and won't let those reopen the list.

I thought that maybe, since this was a legitimate problem that has, at least, been posted by another user, and never reached an actual solution, that Microsoft would have taken note and fixed it in an upcoming update. But no, and it's been years now since I haven't had QA.

Does anyone have a solution to fix this? I already tried resetting to folder settings under the QA options menu; that didn't work last time. And I also tried to delete a folder under the AppData/Local/Roaming/Whatever folder, and the one they told me to delete doesn't exist. Is there any way to fix this?

:)

AirStyle120, Oct 7, 2020

2. Quick Access bar

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty.

Remove items from Quick access.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Right click on the file or folder.
    • Select the option “unpin from the quick access”

To pin items to an item already on the quick access bar.

Follow the below steps.

I would suggest you to create folder in the desktop screen & place all the files or folder which need to pin to the quick access.

• Open the quick access.
    • Select the Desktop option.
    • Right click on the folder & select the option “pin to quick access”

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Oct 7, 2020
  3. Quick Access Not Working

Hi Dustin,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Follow the below steps to repair the broken database of Quick Access.

Method 1:

Before repairing the database, try to disable and then re-enable Quick Access to see if it helps. To disable and re-enable Quick Access, follow the below steps:

Step 1: To remove frequent folders and recent files list from Quick Access, open File Explorer > click on View tab in Ribbon >
    click on Options > Change folder and search options to open Folder Options.

Step 2: You’ll have to uncheck the following two check-boxes present under the Privacy section to disable Quick Access:

• Show recently used files in Quick Access.
    • Show frequently used folders in Quick Access.

Step 3: Click Apply and Exit. The action will instantly remove these two sections from Quick Access in File Explorer. (To clear your Quick Access history press the ‘Clear’ button against Clear File Explorer History).

Step 4: Then, check
    the following two check-boxes again to enable Quick Access that you did in
    Step2.

• Show recently used files in Quick Access.
    • Show frequently used folders in Quick Access.

Step 5: Restart the PC once and check the issue and if the issue persist, follow the
    Method 2.

Method 2:

The Method 2 will repair the broken database of Quick Access.

Step 1: Open File Explorer and paste this folder path: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations in the address bar and hit Enter.

Step 2: Once the folder is opened, press ‘Ctrl’ key and the ‘A’ from your keyboard to select all of its contents and delete it.

Step 3: Do the same for this folder path as well: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations

Step 4: Restart the PC once and check the issue.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq Ali Khan

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Shafeeq_Khan, Oct 7, 2020
  4. Quick Access Bar Is Still Broken: The List Disappears Upon Changing the Order

Quick Access order changes

I'm not sure if this will stop them from changing order, as I never see my Quick Access list change after doing this, but have you disabled both options in the Privacy section of Folder Options? Click "View" at the top of the File Explorer, and click on the "Options" box all the way to the top right of the screen. Folder Options will appear. On the current tab, "General", there should be a section at the bottom with two Quick Access history related functions. Disable them both.

I created 3 new folders and pinned them to Quick Access, and after opening the 2nd and 3rd folder numerous times without opening the 1st folder, none of them changed and remained in the order of when I added them to Quick Access or how I rearranged them. Once again, I'm not entirely sure this will do it, as I rarely use Quick Access, but I haven't noticed any of my pins rearranged after disabling the two options. Either my Quick Access isn't doing it's job or this really stops it from doing that.

Ten Seconds, Oct 7, 2020
Thema:

Quick Access Bar Is Still Broken: The List Disappears Upon Changing the Order

1. Quick Access Bar Is Still Broken: The List Disappears Upon Changing the Order - Similar Threads - Quick Access Bar

2. Quick Access has disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick Access has disappeared: Just went to save a file and the 'Quick Access' option in the save dialogue has disappeared. I ran a scan using an elevated command prompt sfc / scannow and this came up clean. Attempting to add items to 'Add to Quick Access' via the context menu doesn't do anything. Thanks...
  3. Quick Access Disappeared Links

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick Access Disappeared Links: File Explorer Quick Access is missing all of the links I added to it, leaving only the default "desktop" "downloads" documents" and “pictures". I’ve been on hold with MS tech support for two and a half hours. Should I just give up and rebuild it? I’d also been having issues...
  4. Quick Access Pins Disappear

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Quick Access Pins Disappear: The folders that I pin to quick access disappear after a few days/weeks. The default pins stay, but the ones I add do not. Any solutions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quick-access-pins-disappear/5596e1d2-9295-4c4c-a0be-d9080ac59077
  5. Netflix My List - Broken Order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Netflix My List - Broken Order: Using Win 10 Pro 10.0.19041 The Netflix "My List" feature has been broken for quite a long time now. Although it lists everything I put into it all new additions go to the bottom of the list (where all the old items are). Using the "Move to Top" option moves the entry to the...
  6. Pinned folder in quick access keep changing order

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pinned folder in quick access keep changing order: as explained in the title ,i have some folder pinned to the quick access area in the explorer ,and whenever i restart my pc ,or put it to sleep ,then turn it back on ...they always revert back !can someone help me please ? submitted by /u/ayoubgoo [link] [comments]...
  7. Quick Access Disappears...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access Disappears...: When opening a folder/file in File Explorer from the Quick Access items, File Explorer sometimes, but not always will open up the tree under "This PC". This often takes me to sub-sub-sub-folders of the Quick Access item, and because the tree is so large, my Quick Access...
  8. Broken Quick Access

Broken Quick Access: Today I've noticed that my quick access in file explorer is now just complete empty and i don't know why. However if I use a program to browser files quick access works just fine. Please someone help me. [ATTACH] This is broken [ATTACH] But This is not....
  9. Quick Access order changes

Quick Access order changes: Can anyone help with Quick Access? I've got it so that the only folders under Quick Access are: 1.Downloads, 2. Recent Folders, 3. My custom folder. The problem is that depending on which folder I've opened most recently, the order of these three changes constantly. So...
  10. Quick access broken, registry changes do not work

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick access broken, registry changes do not work: While trying to tweak Quick Access, I somehow broke it and no matter what I do, it is stuck as shown in the screenshot. It doesn't get removed or restored with the registry keys but I am also unable to add or pin anything to it and recent files/folders are not displayed....