Windows 10: Quick access broken, registry changes do not work

Discus and support Quick access broken, registry changes do not work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; While trying to tweak Quick Access, I somehow broke it and no matter what I do, it is stuck as shown in the screenshot. It doesn't get removed or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scaevola, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Scaevola Win User

Quick access broken, registry changes do not work

While trying to tweak Quick Access, I somehow broke it and no matter what I do, it is stuck as shown in the screenshot. It doesn't get removed or restored with the registry keys but I am also unable to add or pin anything to it and recent files/folders are not displayed.

What might be the problem, is there a way to restore it? (Using 64-bit Windows 10 final build)

Quick access broken, registry changes do not work [​IMG]

:)

Scaevola, Jul 30, 2015

2. Show recently used files in quick access options keeps being disabled.

Talking about this:

Quick access broken, registry changes do not work [​IMG]

I have a laptop that the top one will not stay on either. It may be the manufacturer ASUS that has turned it off. I am sure you can fix this in the registry. Look around the web.

But when at the top, changing from quick access to this pc it worked. And then after restart PC and changed back to quick access, it then worked. As I said, it probably is an easy fix in registry.

seahawks65, Jul 30, 2015
  3. xJCross Win User
    Why has this QUICK ACCESS icon suddenly shown up on my Desktop?

The only way, that I've found, to make Quick Access disappear from File Explorer is to modify the 'Attributes' DWORD value at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}\ShellFolder. If you're not seeing Quick Access anymore, then 'Attributes'
    must be reading 'a0600000' instead of the default 'a0100000' in the Registry.

However, making that change before you've set 'Open File Explorer to:' This PC, as shown in my screenshot above, will give you the error you posted earlier about "Windows cannot find ''" because it's still looking for Quick Access. You have to change the
    drop down in 'File Explorer Options' from "Quick Access" to "This PC" first before making the registry change, or else you'll get that error every time you try to open File Explorer.

Make sense?

xJCross, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Quick access broken, registry changes do not work

Have you tried right clicking it, selecting options and restore defaults?

fracking4oil, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Scaevola Win User
    Yes I tried it (plus restarting explorer and Windows), but it didn't help at all. I guess I need to restore the full registry keys related with Quick Access.

Scaevola, Jul 30, 2015
  6. acanf Win User
    I don't think it's just you because my Quick Access is also broken and I haven't made any registry changes. When I upgraded from Windows 8, it imported all of my Favorites links, and automatically renamed them to the name of the actual folder. Because the names that my coworkers give to folders on the shared drive is totally what I want in my Quick Access, but anyway...after about 24 hours it randomly decided to remove all but the top 8 folders that were pinned. I then unpinned the default folders thinking it would reset and now I can't pin anything.

acanf, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Scaevola Win User
    Mine wasn't even an upgrade. I upgraded previously but reinstall from scratch due to a networking bug and I don't want to reinstall once again for this issue.

Scaevola, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Quick access broken, registry changes do not work

1. Quick access broken, registry changes do not work - Similar Threads - Quick access broken

2. Search quick access not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search quick access not working: First to know, this happens normally when the computer turns on and then is using a search. When I try to type something for search in "search quick access " search simply doesn't work at all. Sometimes it doesn't allow me to type a word to execute a search, and at the very...
  3. Quick Access Bar Is Still Broken: The List Disappears Upon Changing the Order

Quick Access Bar Is Still Broken: The List Disappears Upon Changing the Order: I've been searching for this solution for the longest time, and can't seem to find one that works. Here's the problem: A while ago, I had aQuick Access QA list of folders I usually use inFile Explorer FE. It was a list of about 20-odd count of folders. Then one day, I...
  4. Quick Access not working

Quick Access not working: On my Windows 10 machine Quick Access has suddenly stopped working. All the folders which were in in it have disappeared, and I am unable to pin folders to it. Neither right-clicking and selecting "Pin to Quick access" or dragging-and-dropping folders to QA work. I do not...
  5. Quick Access links change

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Access links change: I liked the Windows 7 "Links" section of the file browser. If you can tell me how to mimic the Links behavior, stop reading and provide that and that would be WONDERFUL -- Much thanks in advance. Otherwise... I am testing multiple versions of a piece of software. The...
  6. Quick Access broken after upgrade to 1903

Quick Access broken after upgrade to 1903: So far the 1903 upgrade from 1803 is working okay, that is until I used Quick Access. Before when I clicked on a QA link, it would open the folder in the navigation pane, now it does not. It just shows the contents. Second issue is after I unpinned and deleted the...
  7. Broken Quick Access

Broken Quick Access: Today I've noticed that my quick access in file explorer is now just complete empty and i don't know why. However if I use a program to browser files quick access works just fine. Please someone help me. [ATTACH] This is broken [ATTACH] But This is not....
  8. Quick access not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick access not working: Some folks may not know what Quick access is, if you open File Explorer (or Windows Explorer as it used to be), on the left hand side menu in first place you have Quick access with a blue star icon. I recently reinstalled Windows and QA worked for a while, but at some point...
  9. Change Names in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Names in Quick Access: You used to be able to change the names of the items in quick access - like you can a shortcut - in Windows 8, but now you can't. Other than replacing all of them with shortcuts, has anyone found a way of changing this? 12160
  10. Quick Access order changes

Quick Access order changes: Can anyone help with Quick Access? I've got it so that the only folders under Quick Access are: 1.Downloads, 2. Recent Folders, 3. My custom folder. The problem is that depending on which folder I've opened most recently, the order of these three changes constantly. So...