Quick access broken, registry changes do not work

Discus and support Quick access broken, registry changes do not work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; While trying to tweak Quick Access, I somehow broke it and no matter what I do, it is stuck as shown in the screenshot. It doesn't get removed or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scaevola, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Scaevola Win User

While trying to tweak Quick Access, I somehow broke it and no matter what I do, it is stuck as shown in the screenshot. It doesn't get removed or restored with the registry keys but I am also unable to add or pin anything to it and recent files/folders are not displayed.

What might be the problem, is there a way to restore it? (Using 64-bit Windows 10 final build)

Quick access broken, registry changes do not work [​IMG]

:)

Scaevola, Jul 30, 2015
  2. seahawks65 Win User

Show recently used files in quick access options keeps being disabled.

Talking about this:

Quick access broken, registry changes do not work [​IMG]

I have a laptop that the top one will not stay on either. It may be the manufacturer ASUS that has turned it off. I am sure you can fix this in the registry. Look around the web.

But when at the top, changing from quick access to this pc it worked. And then after restart PC and changed back to quick access, it then worked. As I said, it probably is an easy fix in registry.

seahawks65, Jul 30, 2015
  3. xJCross Win User
    Why has this QUICK ACCESS icon suddenly shown up on my Desktop?

The only way, that I've found, to make Quick Access disappear from File Explorer is to modify the 'Attributes' DWORD value at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}\ShellFolder. If you're not seeing Quick Access anymore, then 'Attributes'
    must be reading 'a0600000' instead of the default 'a0100000' in the Registry.

However, making that change before you've set 'Open File Explorer to:' This PC, as shown in my screenshot above, will give you the error you posted earlier about "Windows cannot find ''" because it's still looking for Quick Access. You have to change the
    drop down in 'File Explorer Options' from "Quick Access" to "This PC" first before making the registry change, or else you'll get that error every time you try to open File Explorer.

Make sense?

xJCross, Jul 30, 2015
  4. fracking4oil Win User

Have you tried right clicking it, selecting options and restore defaults?

fracking4oil, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Scaevola Win User
    Yes I tried it (plus restarting explorer and Windows), but it didn't help at all. I guess I need to restore the full registry keys related with Quick Access.

Scaevola, Jul 30, 2015
  6. acanf Win User
    I don't think it's just you because my Quick Access is also broken and I haven't made any registry changes. When I upgraded from Windows 8, it imported all of my Favorites links, and automatically renamed them to the name of the actual folder. Because the names that my coworkers give to folders on the shared drive is totally what I want in my Quick Access, but anyway...after about 24 hours it randomly decided to remove all but the top 8 folders that were pinned. I then unpinned the default folders thinking it would reset and now I can't pin anything.

acanf, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Scaevola Win User
    Mine wasn't even an upgrade. I upgraded previously but reinstall from scratch due to a networking bug and I don't want to reinstall once again for this issue.

Scaevola, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Quick access broken, registry changes do not work - Similar Threads - Quick access broken

2. How can I get remote desktop to consistently work?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I get remote desktop to consistently work?: I have used remote desktop for years, but since the windows 10 app came out, I have nothing but trouble. Most of the time it just won't connect. It wants an email or URL. This is a private LAN. I've enabled remote desktop on the server and my local PC. I am the administrator....
  3. how do you remove searches from task bar

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do you remove searches from task bar: how do you remove searches from task bar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/how-do-you-remove-searches-from-task-bar/01453ef3-8c3e-485c-9ea4-8a0c63041c33"
  4. how do i find my cursor on acer windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how do i find my cursor on acer windows 10: how do I find my cursor on my acer laptop. windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/how-do-i-find-my-cursor-on-acer-windows-10/712f1d6f-06fd-45da-ade4-646a20b6b9a6
  5. cant acces my camera on my facebook done everything it said to do

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cant acces my camera on my facebook done everything it said to do: went through the steps still cant acces my camera on my facebook I need yr help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/cant-acces-my-camera-on-my-facebook-done/1c9c23f3-56e7-4378-95f9-c66c49e797f1
  6. onedrive delete my work because of conflicts

onedrive delete my work because of conflicts: while working on a word document and trying to save to onedrive on windows10, I got a message and red small x symbol informing me that there are conflicts between the document and onedrive. resolving the conflicts caused couple of hours of work to be deleted. why did it...
  7. How can I take my SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 256GB thumb drive offline (to allow HyperV VM access)?

How can I take my SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 256GB thumb drive offline (to allow HyperV VM access)?: My flash drive is entirely formatted with encrypted LUKS (done on a real Ubuntu 16.04 desktop). I want to mount it in my Ubuntu 16.04 VM running in HyperV on my new Windows 10 Pro laptop (i9, 32GB ram...). SO I need a way to take this USB drive offline (apparently not an...
  8. I have a gaming pc but it's not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a gaming pc but it's not working: I was getting 160 fps on my computer but now it only goes to 20-30 once I updated windows. I can't even play my video games once I updated windows. Can you help?...
  9. USB (MTP) not working, driver not installing

USB (MTP) not working, driver not installing: I try the different methods mentioned in discussions. (Dont know how to add to that discussion) 1) doing update automatically and manually 2) use C:\window\inf 3) I try to do a clean boot and use the methods above. Same problem/message. None worked. MTP driver...
  10. Network driver does not work after win 10 update

Network driver does not work after win 10 update: Dont ask me to browse the community to find out how to fix it, this is not my responsibility! You microsoft so called "update" my windows and mess it up 4 times in 2 weeks. I needed to spend half working day to wait for the update and recover to previous build every time....