Quick access broken, registry changes do not work

Discus and support Quick access broken, registry changes do not work in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; While trying to tweak Quick Access, I somehow broke it and no matter what I do, it is stuck as shown in the screenshot. It doesn't get removed or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scaevola, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Scaevola Win User

While trying to tweak Quick Access, I somehow broke it and no matter what I do, it is stuck as shown in the screenshot. It doesn't get removed or restored with the registry keys but I am also unable to add or pin anything to it and recent files/folders are not displayed.

What might be the problem, is there a way to restore it? (Using 64-bit Windows 10 final build)

[​IMG]

:)

Scaevola, Jul 30, 2015
  2. seahawks65 Win User

Show recently used files in quick access options keeps being disabled.

Talking about this:

[​IMG]

I have a laptop that the top one will not stay on either. It may be the manufacturer ASUS that has turned it off. I am sure you can fix this in the registry. Look around the web.

But when at the top, changing from quick access to this pc it worked. And then after restart PC and changed back to quick access, it then worked. As I said, it probably is an easy fix in registry.

seahawks65, Jul 30, 2015
  3. xJCross Win User
    Why has this QUICK ACCESS icon suddenly shown up on my Desktop?

The only way, that I've found, to make Quick Access disappear from File Explorer is to modify the 'Attributes' DWORD value at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}\ShellFolder. If you're not seeing Quick Access anymore, then 'Attributes'
    must be reading 'a0600000' instead of the default 'a0100000' in the Registry.

However, making that change before you've set 'Open File Explorer to:' This PC, as shown in my screenshot above, will give you the error you posted earlier about "Windows cannot find ''" because it's still looking for Quick Access. You have to change the
    drop down in 'File Explorer Options' from "Quick Access" to "This PC" first before making the registry change, or else you'll get that error every time you try to open File Explorer.

Make sense?

xJCross, Jul 30, 2015
  4. fracking4oil Win User

Have you tried right clicking it, selecting options and restore defaults?

fracking4oil, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Scaevola Win User
    Yes I tried it (plus restarting explorer and Windows), but it didn't help at all. I guess I need to restore the full registry keys related with Quick Access.

Scaevola, Jul 30, 2015
  6. acanf Win User
    I don't think it's just you because my Quick Access is also broken and I haven't made any registry changes. When I upgraded from Windows 8, it imported all of my Favorites links, and automatically renamed them to the name of the actual folder. Because the names that my coworkers give to folders on the shared drive is totally what I want in my Quick Access, but anyway...after about 24 hours it randomly decided to remove all but the top 8 folders that were pinned. I then unpinned the default folders thinking it would reset and now I can't pin anything.

acanf, Jul 31, 2015
  7. Scaevola Win User
    Mine wasn't even an upgrade. I upgraded previously but reinstall from scratch due to a networking bug and I don't want to reinstall once again for this issue.

Scaevola, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Quick access broken, registry changes do not work - Similar Threads - Quick access broken

1. Files missing in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Files missing in Quick Access: Why are ordinary doc and xls files which I open, update and save not showing in my list of Recent Files in Quick Access? The File Explorer is set to Quick Access. Thanks in advance. 112181
  2. Files not showing in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Files not showing in Quick Access: Why are ordinary doc and xls files which I open, update and save not showing in my list of Recent Files in Quick Access? The File Explorer is set to Quick Access. Thanks in advance. 112181
  3. Change icon for Quick Access folder rather than renaming

in Windows 10 Support
    Change icon for Quick Access folder rather than renaming: Rather than taking complicated workaround steps to rename a Quick Access folder, which technically is not renaming it, why not just change the folder icon: Browse to the original folder location, right-click, Properties, Customize tab; Change icon, browse to desired icon, OK,...
  4. Remove from Quick access

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove from Quick access: You guys have helped me with other technical problems so lets see if anyone can help with this one ! Cannot delete or remove from Quick access the 3 files that say recent files, i have tried uninstalling OneDrive & reinstalling which didn't work ! Any ideas on how to either...
  5. Cannot pin Desktop to Quick Access folder in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot pin Desktop to Quick Access folder in Explorer: Hi, opened up the file explorer, quick access pinning works fine for all other folders, but I cannot pin the Desktop folder in there. It shows up in the folders pane on the left, (I have to scroll a way up to find it..) but using the 'pin to quick access' button in the...
  6. File Explorer Quick Access Search box: How to increase keyword history

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Quick Access Search box: How to increase keyword history: Is there a way to increase the number of remembered search items in the search box in file explorer and file open dialogs? [img] The history shows 3 keywords which were previously searched. I would like it to be able to show up to 5 items (if available) for example....
  7. Any way to disable / Hide Quick Access in File explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to disable / Hide Quick Access in File explorer: Hi folks I find the quick access displays in File explorer mega annoying -- any way to hide it or better disable it altogether. Cheers jimbo 108605
Quick access broken, registry changes do not work solved