Windows 10: Quick Access linking folders to same location

Discus and support Quick Access linking folders to same location in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been trying to edit my quick access folders and somewhere along the lines I've made a mistake. Now the downloads and documents folders are all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Vernard Bongcaras, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Quick Access linking folders to same location

I've been trying to edit my quick access folders and somewhere along the lines I've made a mistake. Now the downloads and documents folders are all linking to one location.To make matters even more confusing. I have my user profile on another HDD so I need to link it to that one as well.I understand this is now a registry issues and will require assistance to correct it.

:)

Vernard Bongcaras, Oct 8, 2021

2. Quick Access - "Location is not available"

I solved the problem without following steps 1, 2, and 3. The solution is stupidly simple and it doesn't make any difference as to whether the problem item in the Quick Access list is pinned or unpinned.

1. Create the folder in the same path where Quick Access reported it to be unlocatable. The folder will be empty.

2. Delete the folder you just created. The Quick Access item that WAS listed in Quick Access disappears!!

Note that #2 does not remove or delete the item from Quick Access. It deletes the empty folder you just created *from the machine* (i.e., it goes to the Recycle bin) and as a consequence of the deletion, it disappears from the Quick Access list.

KarenMullen, Oct 8, 2021
  3. Quick Access - "Location is not available"

Have just done Windows 10 update from 8.1 - very smooth well done MS!

Have encountered one small problem. In Windows Explorer have discovered "Quick Access" list. Clicking on one folder gives pop-up box "Location is not available" . Displays path which does not exist plus some suggestions as to what might have happened. If
    I right click on folder in list and select "Remove from Quick Access" nothing happens.

How do I get rid of this folder from the list?

Adagio-of-Wight, Oct 8, 2021
  4. Quick Access linking folders to same location

Quick Access - "Location is not available"

I can’t seem to delete an unpinned folder that is listed in Quick Access in the navigation pane..
    A dialogue box comes up telling me that it is not in the location that it is supposed to be in.
    I have looked at the suggestions here, but they all deal with a PINNED folder on Quick Access.
    I’ve tried them all, but none of them work. In my case, the folder that can’t be located is an UNPINNED folder.
    I know that these unpinned folders are ones that are frequently accessed and they disappear after a while when they are no longer frequent.
    But, this unpinned folder is never going to disappear, because it will never be located.

I think I know how this happened. The folder in question is the SYSTEM Downloads folder.

1. Somehow, this SYSTEM Downloads folder was moved to C:\Users\personalfoldername\Searches, so its path became C:\Users\personalfoldername\Searches\Downloads.
    But, a DELL agent who was trying to help me sort things out, deleted this SYSTEM Downloads folder.
    I discovered this when I clicked on the Downloads icon to the very left of the Start Menu, because a dialogue box came up that told me that c:\Users\personalfoldername\Searches\Downloads could not be found.

Quick Access linking folders to same location b936c351-eb39-44f6-b035-10fff7cbab21.png

So, I retrieved it from the Recycling Bin. A few days later another DELL agent was trying to figure out how to get it back to being a SYSTEM folder that was listed and locatable under This PC.
    Suddenly, the SYSTEM Downloads folder appeared in Dropbox because somehow the “Downloads” box at Dropbox >
    Preferences > “Syncing Selective Folders” had gotten checked (I did not ever check it and after I got everything back in shape, I unchecked it and the box has remained unchecked ever since, as you see below).

Quick Access linking folders to same location fcca100f-30a5-42a6-8b22-d6b1d505be01.png

I finally resorted to copying onto a flashdrive the contents of the SYSTEM Downloads folder that was on Dropbox and I then stopped Dropbox from storing the SYSTEM Downloads folder by unchecking the box. Afterwards, I put the system Downloads folder where
    it should be by right-clicking on the SYSTEM Downloads folder under This PC, by clicking on Properties in the context menu, by selecting the “Location” tab in the dialogue box that comes up, and by changing the location back to c:\Users\personalfoldername\Downloads.

Quick Access linking folders to same location f1e4881f-a6c9-418b-abf7-60a175103959.jpg

The folder was empty, so I then put all of the contents of the flashdrive’s Downloads folder back onto the PC into the SYSTEM Downloads folder at C:\Users\personalfoldername\Downloads

But, Quick Access still thinks that its entry for the SYSTEM Downloads folder should be at c:\Users\personalfoldername\Searches, which is where it *used* to be and when it was unpinned (which is why it is listed at the bottom, I think). But, as I said, in
    the first paragraph, clicking on this unpinned Downloads folder in the Quick Access listing yields a dialogue box, telling me that it is not at c:\Users\personalfoldername\Searches\ where it expects it should be.

Quick Access linking folders to same location 3420ca72-05b2-425d-934d-f96ef6bb960a.png

Note that there are two “Downloads” listed in Quick Access. The pinned one is the SYSTEM Downloads folder at the location C:\Users\personalfoldername\Downloads.
    The unpinned one is the SYSTEM Downloads folder at the location where it *used* to be C:\Users\personalfoldername\Searches\Downloads (and now is no longer locatable).

I would like to get rid of this incorrect, unpinned entry at the bottom of Quick Access, but cannot because the entry is unlocatable.
    So, this is my thinking to get the problem fixed, following the steps in this order:

1. Go to This PC, right-click on the SYSTEM Downloads folder to get a context menu, click on Properties,
    click on the “Location” tab in the dialogue box that comes up, and then change the physical location of the SYSTEM Downloads folder to c:\Users\personalfoldername\Searches\Downloads.
    (This is where Quick Access *thinks* that unpinned folder at the bottom of the list is.)

2. Then, in the Quick Access listing in the navigation pane, right-click on this unpinned folder at the bottom of the list, and click on “remove from Quick Access” in the context menu that comes up.
    I am thinking that it will be removed from Quick Access since the computer now knows where it is (because of step 1) and that it will only be removed from Quick Acess and will not be removed from the computer.
    Am I right?

3. Finally, go back to This PC, right-click on the SYSTEM Downloads folder to get a context menu, click on Properties, click on the “Location”
    tab in the dialogue box that comes up, and then change the location of the SYSTEM Downloads folder back to c:\Users\personalfoldername\Downloads.

Will Step 2 remove the unpinned folder at the bottom of the Quick Access list?
    And after steps 1, 2, and 3, will I still have the Pinned SYSTEM Downloads folder at C:\Users\personalfoldername\Downloads and will it still have all of its contents?

KarenMullen, Oct 8, 2021
Thema:

Quick Access linking folders to same location

1. Quick Access linking folders to same location - Similar Threads - Quick Access linking

2. Quick Access Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick Access Folders: Why can't I rearrange Quick Access folders???And why did MS decide to drop so many useful things in Windows 11??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quick-access-folders/25f95a18-2354-4aee-a8ff-8981d6bda929
  3. Quick Access linking folders to same location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access linking folders to same location: I've been trying to edit my quick access folders and somewhere along the lines I've made a mistake. Now the downloads and documents folders are all linking to one location.To make matters even more confusing. I have my user profile on another HDD so I need to link it to that...
  4. Quick Access linking folders to same location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick Access linking folders to same location: I've been trying to edit my quick access folders and somewhere along the lines I've made a mistake. Now the downloads and documents folders are all linking to one location.To make matters even more confusing. I have my user profile on another HDD so I need to link it to that...
  5. How to open a quick access folder in it's original location

How to open a quick access folder in it's original location: Hi,I have several folders pinned to quick access. Many of the folders are 6+ levels deep in a corporate filing structure.I would like to be able to quickly open any folder pinned to quick access in the format that shows that folder with the triangle expand/collapse arrows. Is...
  6. Quick Access Disappeared Links

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick Access Disappeared Links: File Explorer Quick Access is missing all of the links I added to it, leaving only the default "desktop" "downloads" documents" and “pictures". I’ve been on hold with MS tech support for two and a half hours. Should I just give up and rebuild it? I’d also been having issues...
  7. redirected quick access folder not renaming to new location

redirected quick access folder not renaming to new location: so i changed my 3D objects quick access shortcut location to a new folder name Program setups. the quick access shortcut does bring me to the program setups folder, but its still named 3D objects. i can't rename the shortcut either. does anyone have an idea how i can fix...
  8. quick access folder having not same name as actual folder

quick access folder having not same name as actual folder: i was messing around with quick access folders changing locations but now its stuck on a name which is not the same as the actual folder, but i cant change the name of a quick access folder. is there a way to fix this? submitted by /u/Darren_wl03 [link] [comments]...
  9. Quick Access Folders Are All Linking to the Same Location and I can't make them unique

Quick Access Folders Are All Linking to the Same Location and I can't make them unique: Hi all, I have a weird one here. I was changing the location of my quick access Music and Downloads folders and somewhere along the way something got mixed up. Now Windows thinks the Music folder and the Downloads folder are the same folder so when I change the location of...
  10. Quick Access links change

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Access links change: I liked the Windows 7 "Links" section of the file browser. If you can tell me how to mimic the Links behavior, stop reading and provide that and that would be WONDERFUL -- Much thanks in advance. Otherwise... I am testing multiple versions of a piece of software. The...