Windows 10: Quick Access - No longer separating folders and files

Discus and support Quick Access - No longer separating folders and files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm not sure what happened but my Quick Access is no longer separating my files from my folders. Everything is just displaying in one long list and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Madelyn S, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Madelyn S Win User

Quick Access - No longer separating folders and files

I'm not sure what happened but my Quick Access is no longer separating my files from my folders. Everything is just displaying in one long list and it's very challenging to navigate.

It used to look like this:

Quick Access - No longer separating folders and files 789bc1c9-4e1c-41e1-8ac2-4c727b36464a?upload=true.png

But now it looks like this:

Quick Access - No longer separating folders and files b9035462-d5df-42cf-9335-550be5bbf81f?upload=true.jpg

Cleared recent docs and created blank ones for privacy.

How do I get it back to normal? I have tried all the options and changing to defaults, etc. Changing the view to icons/tiles does not regroup them either. They just are a list. I want my categories back!

:)

Madelyn S, Mar 17, 2021

2. Quick Access bar

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty.

Remove items from Quick access.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Right click on the file or folder.
    • Select the option “unpin from the quick access”

To pin items to an item already on the quick access bar.

Follow the below steps.

I would suggest you to create folder in the desktop screen & place all the files or folder which need to pin to the quick access.

• Open the quick access.
    • Select the Desktop option.
    • Right click on the folder & select the option “pin to quick access”

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Mar 17, 2021
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. JWest777 Win User

Windows 10 Quick Access - Folders grouped separately sometimes

In Windows 10, Quick Access is really great. I like the fluidity of it. Here's my question: sometimes (most of the time for me) folders are integrated into the list of recent files (20 recent files/folders), and sometimes folders are grouped separately (8
    recent folders, then 20 recent files). I can actually click on several folders and convince W10 to do the separate grouping. I prefer the separate grouping, but when I am mainly working in files, they go away and show files and folders together. Is there a
    way to default to show the folders grouped separately from the files. I'll try to post screen caps if that helps. Thanks!

JWest777, Mar 17, 2021
Thema:

1. Quick Access - No longer separating folders and files - Similar Threads - Quick Access longer

2. Quick Access folders are no longer working in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick Access folders are no longer working in File Explorer: Hi, I am running Windows 11, and the latest update which was installed on 12th October has caused issues with my File Explorer. It appears to now be running in a window that looks more like an internet page, which doesn't worry me either way. The bit that is bothering me is...
  3. Quick Access folders are no longer working in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick Access folders are no longer working in File Explorer: Hi, I am running Windows 11, and the latest update which was installed on 12th October has caused issues with my File Explorer. It appears to now be running in a window that looks more like an internet page, which doesn't worry me either way. The bit that is bothering me is...
  4. Can no longer reorder folders in "Frequent Folders" quick access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can no longer reorder folders in "Frequent Folders" quick access: Until recently, I could just drag folders up and down to reorder them - now when I try to do so I only get the option to copy them to other folders and it's impossible to move them around on the Quick Access screen. To the best of my knowledge, I didn't change any settings or...
  5. Can no longer reorder folders in "Frequent Folders" quick access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can no longer reorder folders in "Frequent Folders" quick access: Until recently, I could just drag folders up and down to reorder them - now when I try to do so I only get the option to copy them to other folders and it's impossible to move them around on the Quick Access screen. To the best of my knowledge, I didn't change any settings or...
  6. Can no longer reorder folders in "Frequent Folders" quick access

7. Quick access - files and folders dropping from Quick access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick access - files and folders dropping from Quick access: I use Quick access a lot. I have a system on which I reloaded windows and the files and folders I pin to Quick Access drop off. I haven't been able to find a specific action I am taking that makes them drop off. Some time it takes a while a day and sometimes it is much...
  8. Quick access - files and folders dropping from Quick access

Quick access - files and folders dropping from Quick access: I use Quick access a lot. I have a system on which I reloaded windows and the files and folders I pin to Quick Access drop off. I haven't been able to find a specific action I am taking that makes them drop off. Some time it takes a while a day and sometimes it is much...
  9. Quick access - files and folders dropping from Quick access

10. Can no longer drag files/folders into a network folder pinned in Quick Access panel

Can no longer drag files/folders into a network folder pinned in Quick Access panel: As of around last week, I can no longer drag files/folders into a network folder pinned in Quick Access panel.It was working fine before, then stopped. The destination network folder is located on Win XP machine.I can still see it and interact with it in any other way just...