Windows 10: Quick Access order changes

Discus and support Quick Access order changes in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Can anyone help with Quick Access? I've got it so that the only folders under Quick Access are: 1.Downloads, 2. Recent Folders, 3. My custom folder.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by btkling, Sep 27, 2016.

1. btkling Win User

Quick Access order changes

Can anyone help with Quick Access? I've got it so that the only folders under Quick Access are: 1.Downloads, 2. Recent Folders, 3. My custom folder.

The problem is that depending on which folder I've opened most recently, the order of these three changes constantly. So annoying. It would be great if they stayed in place (fixed). Anyone have experience with this?? Thanks, Brandon.

:)

btkling, Sep 27, 2016
  2. N3OMOD Win User

Can't change folder icons in Windows 10

I know this is an old thread but since search engine still points at it this is
    my little contribution.

I discovered that you can't change a quick access folder icon
    after you added to the quick access section in file explorer.

In order to change the folder icon in the quick access section you need first to remove that folder from the quick access bar, then you have to change the icon, and only then you may add it again to the quick access.

N3OMOD, Sep 27, 2016
  3. Skittzo88 Win User
    Can't change folder icons in Windows 10

That is exactly what I was trying to do, and this was the only fix that worked for me. Thank You!

Skittzo88, Sep 27, 2016
  4. Quick Access order changes

I'm not sure if this will stop them from changing order, as I never see my Quick Access list change after doing this, but have you disabled both options in the Privacy section of Folder Options? Click "View" at the top of the File Explorer, and click on the "Options" box all the way to the top right of the screen. Folder Options will appear. On the current tab, "General", there should be a section at the bottom with two Quick Access history related functions. Disable them both.

I created 3 new folders and pinned them to Quick Access, and after opening the 2nd and 3rd folder numerous times without opening the 1st folder, none of them changed and remained in the order of when I added them to Quick Access or how I rearranged them. Once again, I'm not entirely sure this will do it, as I rarely use Quick Access, but I haven't noticed any of my pins rearranged after disabling the two options. Either my Quick Access isn't doing it's job or this really stops it from doing that.

Ten Seconds, Sep 27, 2016
  5. btkling Win User
    Yeah I have a feeling that because one of my three folders is "recent places", it is messing up the order. Just to be clear, my three folders under quick access are 1.downlods, 2.recent placed, 3.custom folder

btkling, Sep 27, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    Quick Access is dynamic and will change as you visit (or revisit) folders. You have to pin them to make them fixed in place.

The easiest way to do this is in the Quick Access list in the navigation pane on the left. If you don't see a navigation pane, you can turn it on from the 'View' tab. Just click & drag the folders you want into the order you want. Click & drag automatically pins them for you - a little grey 'pin' appears next to the name to show this. If you make a mistake, you can unpin a folder by right-clicking on it.

7. btkling Win User
    Yes well they do have the little grey pins next to them and they still move. I've tried removing the folders and moving them back, so we'll see if they continue to move.... so annoying.

btkling, Sep 27, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

Does your system crash on you at all? Do you ever have to force it to power down? Such settings are normally only written to you user profile when you sign out in an orderly fashion.

9. btkling Win User
    No, I have a brand-new setup. No crashing issues here. Btw- I tried removing those folders and then we inserted them into quick access using the method you described by dragging and they did show up with a great plan, however, they are still moving depending on which one I've most recently opened.

btkling, Sep 27, 2016
  10. scarrott Win User
    We are actually having the same problem, but we have a lot more pinned in quick access. Currently i have 19 locations pinned in quick access and one keeps jumping to the bottom of the list. It doesn't do it every time I open explorer, but it always moves down to the bottom of the list within a couple of hours of being put back. No idea what is causing it though. 3 users here have reported the same problem, and we all have different quick access links set up.

scarrott, Oct 4, 2016
  11. Fr3lncr Win User
    I'm having the same problem as well ever since the Anniversary update (never had the problem before the update). I've got about 15 locations pinned and the ones I have a tendency to use the most keep jumping to the bottom of the list.

Very annoying.

Fr3lncr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Quick Access order changes - Similar Threads - Quick Access order

2. Windows 11 File Explorer - I can NOT change the order of the folders in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer - I can NOT change the order of the folders in Quick Access: Windows 11 File Explorer - I can NOT change the order of the folders in Quick Access https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-file-explorer-i-can-not-change-the/f5d69766-eeb4-420b-9118-a001a927a557
  3. Windows 11 File Explorer - I can NOT change the order of the folders in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Explorer - I can NOT change the order of the folders in Quick Access: Windows 11 File Explorer - I can NOT change the order of the folders in Quick Access https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-file-explorer-i-can-not-change-the/f5d69766-eeb4-420b-9118-a001a927a557
  4. gpmc: how to change gpo precedence order more quickly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    gpmc: how to change gpo precedence order more quickly: Hi guys, is there any other way to change gpo's precedence/order in a tree without using these damn upward/downward buttons? I have about hundred gp objects here and to get a new gpo to their correct place it sometimes needs about 50 clicks, thats really pain in the a##....
  5. Quick Access Bar Is Still Broken: The List Disappears Upon Changing the Order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access Bar Is Still Broken: The List Disappears Upon Changing the Order: I've been searching for this solution for the longest time, and can't seem to find one that works. Here's the problem: A while ago, I had aQuick Access QA list of folders I usually use inFile Explorer FE. It was a list of about 20-odd count of folders. Then one day, I...
  6. Pinned folder in quick access keep changing order

Pinned folder in quick access keep changing order: as explained in the title ,i have some folder pinned to the quick access area in the explorer ,and whenever i restart my pc ,or put it to sleep ,then turn it back on ...they always revert back !can someone help me please ? submitted by /u/ayoubgoo [link] [comments]...
  7. Quick access right click menu order? Unpin from quick access before Open in new window

Quick access right click menu order? Unpin from quick access before Open in new window: [ATTACH] Is there a way to change order of right click menu on pinned items in quick access? What bothers me is that at home the order goes: (1) Open in new windows (2) Unpin from quick access but on my work PC its the other way...
  8. Quick Access links change

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Access links change: I liked the Windows 7 "Links" section of the file browser. If you can tell me how to mimic the Links behavior, stop reading and provide that and that would be WONDERFUL -- Much thanks in advance. Otherwise... I am testing multiple versions of a piece of software. The...
  9. How to Change the Order of Quick Access Toolbar Items in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Change the Order of Quick Access Toolbar Items in File Explorer: How do I change/reorder File Explorer's Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) items? I put a bunch of ribbon commands on the File Explorer Quick Access Toolbar but I'm not happy with the order in which they appear... I added them as I came across them and now I would like to resort them...
  10. Change Names in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Names in Quick Access: You used to be able to change the names of the items in quick access - like you can a shortcut - in Windows 8, but now you can't. Other than replacing all of them with shortcuts, has anyone found a way of changing this? 12160